• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Mines and Mt Hamilton Roads: The Official Thread

I've always ridden Mines from Livermore to the junction and never made it to Mt Hamilton. How to the side compare?

Hamilton is pretty fun from The Junction to Lick Observatory.
It's mostly predictable and there are some awesome tight switchbacks.

Anyone going to The Junction tomorrow?
I'll be taking the WR out there and my friend will be on his Indian Scout.

I've always ridden Mines from Livermore to the junction and never made it to Mt Hamilton. How to the side compare?
"How to the side compare"????

San Antonio Valley Road, the road from The Junction to the top of Mt. Hamilton, has some very nice twisties. Some sections of it are truly wonderful. Next time you're up there, you need to ride that section.

The first section of San Antonio Valley Rd from the Junction to the one-lane bridge is faster and more wide-open than Mines. The climb from there to the observatory, and then the descent into San Jose, is much slower and tighter. I really like them both, but I think I'd take Mt Hamilton Rd and SAVR over Mines if I had to pick. Those also have a double-yellow line the whole way, whereas Mines has that undivided section, which I know some people don't like.

Heads up to anyone going to The Junction for food.
The exhaust for the grill was broken which means they aren't grill any food. Only turkey and tuna sandwiches were available. Also some sort of salad.

Latest status? Planning to ride weekend after the rains. Too dirty to ride?

I rode Hamilton yesterday. It was lovely. Air quality was sketchy, but I was hardly breathing. There were four bicyclists.

My brother was out there on Monday. Stated Mines was dirty with a few small active water crossings.

It's probably dried up, but expect lots of dirt and rocks!

The usual, some parts great, others damp or some debris, pretty much the usual winter conditions. Should be pretty nice by tomorrow.

Last edited:
Good riding today, great conditions and weather.
Nice seeing some friendly faces that I haven't seen in a good minute.

Helped out some BMW guy outa Oaklamd get his old R-thing fixed after a minor lowside, and then noodled our ways back home. Brapppppp

mUlGyF0JqGTbQ1c2mvmTdvfYC5rrJ13eSqTbvwEdkW1ceMWPnjRO3dJ7JgL8cK_pjmn920R-ZzThutZnFP1vagmxlZaFFp0xzo7iWTPSzRNYS1MuiJRJsvBr-enFlip2XhpzRPV7BauW2TXsGs4uhiINuVuBlZox_kxRMQTGuVsw48_MxsD37ccvbZ4HpgY6hJAV02F11HQVUP2s_wGX9oVDmXvRihKvc0VzzGh7YEYM4GW1M6OK7TBWsDYQUnwrdQ2qxtEXFkmbjbdFTNrDiZWy6JtxUR9yOVRVJKtMUnYfkovvnxqJzdy8_MYaj1u0UPD7Eai7Aw4mhHEYFykzP0VFvlSnDgLBPuDhVatmzupV9_LmZrIRx8PyX7kr-rzyKLg7j2Wsk1g8wC6dymslgMEH8w9jwt7MENNVuxQ9bMvWdURzsoymI-xt8IC-rpgUCq3H5y06ilMSMCSmoobK8GH9hD2GAnoblN9C1vVKet-fTBmpkcj9e1uiB9kH3pY-5a-yfl3J11-AsCMAc6Uy9WOyoMeLPan2vVcJG-jZP3Umj4g6lljDgHE8RxyYkR3uYa-6bxOb1mR3WPw7NJMNjc9sR_PJ45jas2MV4WueB-8d-Wxy0ku7WNWMIB7Kh4KQ2tHuv_kyUL7jZThPLbGC0cKK5A=w979-h1024-no

I rode Hamilton today and it was as good as it could be. Even saw some riders that I suspect might be forum regulars but we didn't chat. Good times!

Good riding today, great conditions and weather.
Nice seeing some friendly faces that I haven't seen in a good minute.

Helped out some BMW guy outa Oaklamd get his old R-thing fixed after a minor lowside, and then noodled our ways back home. Brapppppp

mUlGyF0JqGTbQ1c2mvmTdvfYC5rrJ13eSqTbvwEdkW1ceMWPnjRO3dJ7JgL8cK_pjmn920R-ZzThutZnFP1vagmxlZaFFp0xzo7iWTPSzRNYS1MuiJRJsvBr-enFlip2XhpzRPV7BauW2TXsGs4uhiINuVuBlZox_kxRMQTGuVsw48_MxsD37ccvbZ4HpgY6hJAV02F11HQVUP2s_wGX9oVDmXvRihKvc0VzzGh7YEYM4GW1M6OK7TBWsDYQUnwrdQ2qxtEXFkmbjbdFTNrDiZWy6JtxUR9yOVRVJKtMUnYfkovvnxqJzdy8_MYaj1u0UPD7Eai7Aw4mhHEYFykzP0VFvlSnDgLBPuDhVatmzupV9_LmZrIRx8PyX7kr-rzyKLg7j2Wsk1g8wC6dymslgMEH8w9jwt7MENNVuxQ9bMvWdURzsoymI-xt8IC-rpgUCq3H5y06ilMSMCSmoobK8GH9hD2GAnoblN9C1vVKet-fTBmpkcj9e1uiB9kH3pY-5a-yfl3J11-AsCMAc6Uy9WOyoMeLPan2vVcJG-jZP3Umj4g6lljDgHE8RxyYkR3uYa-6bxOb1mR3WPw7NJMNjc9sR_PJ45jas2MV4WueB-8d-Wxy0ku7WNWMIB7Kh4KQ2tHuv_kyUL7jZThPLbGC0cKK5A=w979-h1024-no
Awesome, one in my group gave him a ride back to the junction after we helped him pick it up. Bike wouldn't power up. What was it? Something in the headlight shell?

Awesome, one in my group gave him a ride back to the junction after we helped him pick it up. Bike wouldn't power up. What was it? Something in the headlight shell?

He said who ever gave him a ride to the junction was going way too fast and that I was a better rider. :cool

It ended up just being a loose connection from the crash. Got it all squared away in no time.

Ha ha ha, I'm pretty sure I heard him saying that when your side stand tang dug in he was sure you were going to crash!

Back