• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Mines and Mt Hamilton Roads: The Official Thread

Yesterday was not too bad for two days after a storm. Two streams had to be crossed but they we're "puddle" deep and if you had no concern of making you and your bike dirty, WOT would have been fine. Junction was hopping with a good mix of cyclists and motorcyclists which is good to see. I want them to stay in business. They're keeping their regular hours now. There is a Mines Rd. northbound left corner around mile marker 10 or low tweens where there is some gravel in the perfect place to really ruin someone's day. Patterson was fairly wet. Calaveras was damp in the trees but goddam that road will rip when it becomes dry out.

The mile marker 10 alway has gravel in the right hander (going south) that has been my nemesis once on my Daytona. Someday I am going to take a broom and sweep that damn corner.

The mile marker 10 alway has gravel in the right hander (going south) that has been my nemesis once on my Daytona. Someday I am going to take a broom and sweep that damn corner.

Yep. After mile marker 9 its it's the 2nd right hander just before mile marker 10. The gravel is on the inside. Take turn on the outside and you'll be fine. It never seems to go away.

Here's a snowy cold Mines to The Junction ride yesterday.

A visual of a few road conditions to be aware of :laughing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQjBKLWbmuk&feature=youtu.be

KsV8ASx.jpg

When I pulled out of The Junction yesterday I turned toward Hamilton. Just a few hundred feet later was a sign that said the road was only open to residents. Could have kept going I suppose, but didn't.

Hitting it today afternoon. Lets see if the snow has melted.

Forget snow melting, it converted into ice in many places. Slid vertically for a few meters in one of the ice patches... turned around 2-3 miles from the junction when I found this large ice patch.

F5HND1A.jpg

4y1Klh7.jpg

zIG8UWV.jpg

Pzr30re.jpg

Also helped push a FedEx truck stuck on black ice. These things aren't 4x4 I assume - WTF. Already detest these delivery trucks on mines. They are wide and are a hazard on the single lane sections.

Last edited:
I rode up Mt Hamilton Rd this afternoon and it was closed at Grant Ranch, with a road block and a police cruiser there. There was a lot of vehicle traffic on the road; I think they all wanted to drive up to the observatory to see the snow.

Last edited:
Linked from google photos. I can see them. Anyone else can see? I will post on flickr.

Don't work for me. You can probably see them because they're your photos. I bet you have some privacy settings so that they aren't public.

Linked from google photos. I can see them. Anyone else can see? I will post on flickr.
When the photo links are huge like that, it's a good sign that they were not intended to be used to embed in a forum post.

Look at imgur for an example of images that were intended to be used in forum posts. The links are nice and short.

When the photo links are huge like that, it's a good sign that they were not intended to be used to embed in a forum post.

Look at imgur for an example of images that were intended to be used in forum posts. The links are nice and short.
FB URLs are fairly long and yet work fine (for a while)

Fixed. imgur is always so better. Google Photos is good only as a backup service and sharing photos among friends emails

Looks cold. And slippery. I'm not missing that road so much seeing it like that. :cool

Had a nice controlled vertical slide on one of those ice patches. Ohh shit moments. Later on when I saw an even longer ice patch, it was time to swallow the ego and turn back.

Yeah was true grit white knuckle riding for me. Winter gloves and heated grips didn't help much. Was numb for many hours until I hit the gym.

Back