• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Mines and Mt Hamilton Roads: The Official Thread

PSA Mines Road is in rough shape and should be ridden with caution. The gravel spots can appear very quickly. I hit one hidden inverted speed bump like dip that gave me a bit of whiplash and a loud FUCK inside my helmet.

Here's a video from yesterday. I went to The Junction and back.

[YOUTUBE]l8xK5TYil64[/YOUTUBE]

SnLpVWA.jpg

Here's some screenshots for those of you that don't watch my cool video. Not necessarily in order.

dGmRaiD.jpg

YlDxAc2.jpg

Normal water crossings

7SbaXFU.jpg

H0uqIp8.jpg

Not normal water crossing at the county line

OPKjQXg.jpg

OwDgsPo.jpg

wUx3Q4s.jpg

Coming back

7ncetag.jpg

Fresh tar snakes

e91GpBx.jpg

Laying down fresh tar snakes

cRwVAV8.jpg

YRMxxVC.jpg

XNc65qh.jpg

YgUaw15.jpg

9pverJu.jpg

8Oui32J.jpg

This pic doesn't show how big that dip is

cY5YPwf.jpg

???

Y9THCX8.jpg

Last edited:
PSA Mines Road is in rough shape and should be ridden with caution. The gravel spots can appear very quickly. I hit one hidden inverted speed bump like dip that gave me a bit of whiplash...
That's when dual sports and adventure bikes shine. :cool

Having been riding Mines for maybe 10 years, except for when they chip sealed and it's unrideable (at least on my bikes), I've never seen it this bad. Might be fun on dual sports and adventure bikes I suppose but I don't have those in my arsenal.:ride

Looks like a good ol time for my KLR or DR =)

I rode some of Hamilton on Saturday. Clayton Road is closed 3 miles from the base.
0513231446_HDR-XL.jpg

The monastery was open though
0513231451-XL.jpg

0513231454-XL.jpg

So I rode up Quimby instead and it was open all the way. Road is beat up perfect for a dual sport or supermoto :)
0513231515_HDR-XL.jpg

No parking sure
0513231514a-XL.jpg

I rode to the parking lot for Grant Park and head back to San Jose. There was a road washed out of crumbing section on the way back. It turned into a one lane road with stop signs. It was close to when the asphalt transitions to the nice smooth asphalt.

It's Mine's Rd, it's me, it's not a bike, but it's somethin lol

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoHJdZ1eVAY&t=305s[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Did it on Saturday with a friend who has never been on Mines or Mt Hamilton before. Mines was so rough we decided to continue Mt. Hamilton and into San Jose even though he lives up 680 close to Walnut Creek. Mt Hamilton was in very good shape for the most part but the tar snakes on Mines (some of which look like they were put down on Friday) have ruined that road for me.

Wow... sure does look messed up on Ken's video.

Since I live on the west side of Hammie that looks like enough for me for a while.

My bit is still awesome. I have not explored Clayton, but I suspect it is passable. It has been fucked up at once place for years.

Del Puerto

Anyone know how far out the new chip seal goes from the junction towards Patterson?

Last edited:
Don't know about DPC, but Mines is past due for a little chip seal. Keeps the riff-raff away. :laughing

Attachments

• K1300S Mines Chip Seal.jpg
    K1300S Mines Chip Seal.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 13
Rode mines today. It is chip sealed from the junction to the alameda county line. Ride with caution.

Mines July 10th

Rode over Hamilton to mines road on the 10th of July. I thought it was fine but I'm cautious and chill and keep it around the speed limit. The fresh chips south of the county line have settled in so I'd say the road is in good condition except for the water crossing. But don't listen to me, judge for yourself. And take all the caution that is usually advised on this road.

Hamilton Detour

Went to ride Hamilton Saturday and didn't realize the road closure and detour. FYI.

https://dot.ca.gov/caltrans-near-me/district-4/d4-news/2023-07-10-sr130-full-closure

SAN JOSE - Beginning Wednesday, July 12, Caltrans will close a portion of State Route 130 (SR-130)/Mt Hamilton, between 3 Springs Road and Quimby Road, in the city of San Jose, Santa Clara County. The closure is needed for crews to safely repair a slip out along SR-130. The work is scheduled to be complete by November 2023.

CMS signs and Detours will be in place. Emergency vehicles will be permitted.

Full Closure of SR-130 Between 3 Springs Road and Quimby Road:
Beginning Wednesday, July 12, at 7:00 AM, that portion of SR-130 will be closed until repairs are complete.

Detour signs will be posted.
Eastbound traffic:
Make U-turn at 3 Springs Road and go back to westbound SR-130
Make left on White Road
Make left on Quimby Road
Make right on Mt Hamilton Road (SR-130)

Westbound traffic:
Make left on Quimby Road
Make right on White Road
Make right on Alum Rock Ave (SR-130)​

I had a rather good ride on Mines Road last Saturday, 10/14/23. In contrast to my last report in this thread from 5/14/23, the road is generally in pretty good rideable condition.

VAZum5h.jpg

nwFB5Vk.jpg

Lq73uY0.jpg

LehkuOj.jpg

232yQII.jpg

xuYz9h2.jpg

enFW0uV.jpg

edmqKWb.jpg

G61fbZi.jpg

zi6FwrA.jpg

pNnmdX3.jpg

6NOJyY1.jpg

[YOUTUBE]XxQzzA51Ngg[/YOUTUBE]

Is the Junction open? Their facebook page is really outdated. Yelp says it's open on Saturday and Sunday 11AM - 5PM, but that info looks old too.

Last time I was up there late May, early June it was closed. Far as I know the property is still for sale (comes with about 135 acres). The owners lease the old house / restaurant and there have been probably 6-7 different folks try and make a "go of it" in the last 15+ years.

idk, but I had a burger there sorta recently and they were open on a limited scale. I just rode up Ham an hour ago and turned around when the road became dirty and wet. Dirty 130, eh?

Does anyone know if The Junction is open this week? Is Mines rideable after the past week of rain? Last I heard, they changed their hours and were suppose to be open Wed-Sun. Thanks

Does anyone know if The Junction is open this week? Is Mines rideable after the past week of rain? Last I heard, they changed their hours and were suppose to be open Wed-Sun. Thanks

Thinking of doing a loop to drive that section today myself.
I’ve heard good things!

Caltrans says “no reported closures”

Here’s link for checking
https://roads.dot.ca.gov/

Attachments

• IMG_0401.jpg
    IMG_0401.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 4
Back