Mines and Mt Hamilton Roads: The Official Thread

Rode Ham yesterday. There are some spots where there are lots of circular tire marks.

I hope they had spotters.

Has anyone been to The Junction after the rains last week? How is the road condition on Mines now? Thanks

Last edited:
Dirty, be careful! Usual spots... plus derbies from fallen trees from last weekend. Mile 9 marker is a mess

Godspeed, you will be missed by many but mainly your wife and daughter.

I will never forget the fun times we had.

Be careful out there!

Sorry for the loss of your friend.

:rip Peno

Feel for his family :rose :(

Wow! I am so sorry to hear this.

I ride Mines road once a week and always think about how one little rock or dirt on the road that you just don't see until you are on it can put down even the best of riders.

We all know the risks we take and all pray that it doesn't happen to us.

Another wake up call to not ride above what you or the conditions warrant.

R.I.P. fellow riding enthusiast.

I ride Mines road once a week and always think about how one little rock or dirt on the road that you just don't see until you are on it can put down even the best of riders.

Well said.

Reality of the ride... sometimes threads hit me for those that lost the rider/husband/wife / father / daughter/ etc in flashes of my own family being in that moment.

Wish them condolences again. :rose

Very true, in this particular incident, it was health related. The cause of death is unknown but not due to his crash. His crash was during slowing down due to his health condition.
Should know more in a few weeks after the autopsy.

Took a ride to the Junction on Sunday.
A gorgeous, crisp day for a cruise.

There were a couple small dirt patches along Mines.
But all-in-all, Mines is in good condition right now.

Ran Mt Hamilton and Mines for the first time this past Saturday - been meaning to do it for years, and figured this would be a great first ride for my 701 after doing the valves on it.

Absolutely gorgeous ride - Mt. Hamilton was incredibly fun, and the pavement was super smooth and clean save for the bumpy section before Joseph Grant park that hasn't been repaved, and some of the tight hairpins before the Observatory. The weather was cloudy but when we got to the top the clouds melted away.

Mines was in quite good condition save for some noticeable debris in some corners. In the northern portion, the road surface was good except one corner where I slid the rear, but was a minor slide. Overall, much more impressed with Mines than I was expecting. I had heard that it was very rocky and bumpy, but I found it to be very enjoyable and pretty smooth.

Attachments

• IMG_20211106_130906.jpeg
    IMG_20211106_130906.jpeg
    152.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20211106_130424.jpeg
    IMG_20211106_130424.jpeg
    134.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Yea, I rode Hamilton and Mines last Wednesday and it was glorious. A little debris but pretty minimal. Will be back there for another ride soon.

Went out on Sunday with some friends and, aside from a bit of gravel here and there from the rains, the road condition was good.

The Junction still in business?

Anyone know if The Junction is now permanently closed? Google reports it is, but I'm hoping it's incorrect data ... :(

Back