• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Musician thread

I liked the beginning of "Awaken the Dreamers", and I really like the guitar harmonies; but I dunno if I could go through a whole album of it ;)

Favorite Metal Band = At The Gates :thumbup give them a listen.

i had At The Gates on my old computer before the registry was Deleted. I lost 4000+ songs.... however i think if i look through the archives of burned mixes, i think i have them on a CD..

i started to listen to Avenged SevenFold and Atreyu when they first came around. It just was a landslide of metal music from there. i never was into the Hair Metal but i do have some MegaDeath.. My all time Favorite metal CD is All That Remains - This Darken Heart

Careful Ladies and Gents the more Heavy music you listen to the more you'll like it. That Awaken the Dreamers CD Volcomism you'll find some awesome riffs "You just have to listen to it" :p

I liked the beginning of "Awaken the Dreamers", and I really like the guitar harmonies; but I dunno if I could go through a whole album of it ;)

Favorite Metal Band = At The Gates :thumbup give them a listen.

At The Gates is fucking amazing. I went to the reunion show at fillmore. They were so epic. Just saw Suffocation and Carcass last night.

:rofl Megadeth was never considered hair metal

I consider them hair metal. They are so damn overrated :thumbdown
Same chord progressions over and over and Dave's voice is goddamn annoying.
And Marty, god bless his fingers, is more fruity than Malmsteen

i didn't forget the British side of megadeath. i guess since i categorized them in a genera i never liked i just accepted them as hair metal

The only band that I think ever did drop B tuning well was Korn. Other than that...not a fan.

Korn uses drop A, not B. And there's nothing wrong with Korn. Well, old Korn. The new stuff sans Brian is crap. Actually, I never thought Fieldy was all that good anyway. :|

Fieldy sucked in my opinion.

I personally preferred System Of A Down's Drop C Tuning ;) Thought it was very unique. :thumbup

I personally don't like drop anything. Reminds me too much of Slipknot. :thumbdown

When it comes to tuning variances, I find that Andy McKee is pretty fucking awesome. Check out this and some of his other works which include some tunes on a harpsitar.

[youtube]tn1d5DmdMqY[/youtube]

Korn uses drop A, not B. And there's nothing wrong with Korn. Well, old Korn. The new stuff sans Brian is crap. Actually, I never thought Fieldy was all that good anyway. :|

Sorry, thanks for correcting me. You learn something new every day haha. Anyway, yea, old Korn was awesome...once they lost Brian, or well...once Brian found jesus...*cue band nosedive*

Though Korn isn't very good anymore, I actually still really love Jonathan. If you listen to a lot of stuff he's been producing recently, he's really good. I tend to like his work as a producer now.

I personally don't like drop anything. Reminds me too much of Slipknot. :thumbdown

When it comes to tuning variances, I find that Andy McKee is pretty fucking awesome. Check out this and some of his other works which include some tunes on a harpsitar.

[youtube]tn1d5DmdMqY[/youtube]

Ha, he came out of the wood works for me. i never heard of him before.. defiantly a force to be reckoned with. :thumbup

GEAR: YOUR EXPERIENCE YAY OR NAY???

well i think it's a 'Behringer' but since my amp is blown and I am tryin it out for free I'll give it a twirl. A little too bassy but might prolly due to my guitar (LP classic original p/u) and head combo. I passed thru a eq and still couldn't get as much bass out as I wanted. Clean sounded (head is a fender stage 100) surprisingly decent but wasn't happy with the distortion. I'd play a F# or B and the cab would resonate like something was loose. I haven't opened it up but the owner says that it can't be blown and encouraged to "tighten whatever is loose". I played it out last night and now that it'll handle high SPL. This is my first experience with Behringer and I am pleasantly surprized. I used to make fun of my bass player playing thru his Behringer combo but now I know that their crap is not too shitty at all lol.

OVERALL : YAY

PICKS : which ever brand it is that is carbon fiber

I normally use Fender mediums but the dude at the music store gave me carbon fiber one after I told him the mediums round off too easy.

OVERALL : NAY

for me CF is made for bling and/or weight shaving not for music. Too brittle sounding not enough feedback from the instrument. Harsh.

your turn!

Last edited:
Blackheart 5w little giant head through a 4x12 line 6 cab

Little amp had excellent clean tones, I used it with A MIM fender strat with american standard pickups.

Pretty basic just had 3 eq knobs a 3w/5w switch and volume. The amp was great for warm clean tones and got up to dirty bluesy sound. Great amp if your looking for a basic tube amp.

Downsides, no gain knob, not much gain at all so not for rock or metal.

thumbs up for a decent sounding amp at a good price, only cons are that you are limited to the types of tones you can get.

Next amp I got was a peavey 5150 60 watt combo.

Even though this amp is supposedly tailored after eddie van halens specs, I could not come close to getting that brown sound.

It had tons of low end, I'd even say it had too much low end, bass was booming and the amp sounded dark.

Plenty of gain on this amp anything over 7 on the pre amp is useless because it just gets really fizzy, sweet spot is between 5&6.

I play a lot of thrash metal and I couldn't dial in the right tone with this amp, this amp is voiced for dropped tuned modern metal, it has the gain for it and bass.

clean channel was really lacking it didn't sound bright or full, clean tones sounded muffled, but then again most people that are wanting to get this amp don't want it for the clean tones.

Bad ass amp if you are into modern metal. Wasn't what I was looking for but not the amps fault, just different tastes.

Next amp I'm planning on getting will be a Marshall

I'm kind of stuck in between the JCM 2000 DSL or the JCM 800. I want an amp with good cleans and the classic marshal crunch tone. Anybody have any experiences with either amp?

I love that classic crunch the 800 gets, but I think it is a one trick pony. I played a JCM 200 DSL 100 at a music shop and the clean channel was awesome it gives fender a run for the money.

Next amp I'm planning on getting will be a Marshall

Pshaw. :hand Bruce Egnater seminar-built amp p0wnz Marshall. :twofinger

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8QY3gfxTfTw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8QY3gfxTfTw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

I love that classic crunch the 800 gets, but I think it is a one trick pony.

That's my impression as well, but I haven't spent that much time with them.

On gear, I haven't owned too many things I didn't like, as I auditioned nearly everything before buying.

Guitar

I have a few guitars but the only I use constantly is a Parker Fly Deluxe. It's not perfect in every way, but it does many things fabulously well. The guitar is quite bright sounding, so I compensate a bit by turning presence down a little more than I otherwise would and roll off the tone control a hair at times.

The neck pickup sounds fairly sweet, but because the guitar has a 24 fret neck, the pickup cannot be mounted right under the two octave harmonic. I don't go to the 24th fret very often and if I could choose a 22 fret neck I might for the tone trade-off at the neck pickup. The piezo at the bridge sounds OK, if a bit quacky (don't they all?).

The switches on the original version of the guitar (of which mine is one) are laid out in an inconvenient fashion. The newer Fly's have a more accessible layout and dispenses with a volume pot that practically nobody used. So, on my guitar, the pickup selector is located below (and very close to) a volume pot that is almost impossible not to hit when you're changing pickups. I switch pickups constantly, sometimes in the middle of a phrase, so that was a big deal. On top of that, the guitar is "wired" with ribbon strips instead of point to point wiring, so changing the positions of the switch and volume knob wasn't a reasonable option.

I've worked around it by doing two things:

Placed an o-ring under the knob I don't use to add more friction and make it less prone to turning accidentally.

Pressed a piece of plastic tubing onto the pickup selector switch to make it longer. This way, it sticks up above the tops of the knobs, so I can flick it quickly without hitting anything else.

The action of the guitar is ridiculously good and the frets essentially never wear, as they're made of stainless steel. The guitar is very "live;" you can feel the thing vibrating when playing. Despite its light weight (5 pounds), it has very good sustain.

Amps

I have two amp setups, a Boogie Mark IV combo with an EVM and a rack consisting of a Mesa Triaxis, DSP 128, Hush IIc and Mesa 2:90 power amp.
The Triaxis and 2:90 sound very nice together and offer an incredible variety of tones. At some point I'd like to add a line mixer to add the effects from a side chain instead of placing it into the Triaxis effects loop as it is now. I'd also like to control the effects levels with a volume pedal, to add and remove long delay progressively, instead of switching it on and off.

The rack powers two 1x12 cabinets of my own design, which are closed backed and have dual ports, tuned to 120HZ. They're loaded with JBL's. 4x12's sound beefier, but this setup has plenty of balls, goes loud as hell and is fairly compact.

The Mark IV is a nice compact combo and sounds pretty good as is. Plugged into a 4x12 cab, it kills.

I hate to whore this on BARF, but I am selling my bass rig. 1979 Acoustic 320 head/408 cab.
750W and 4-15" speakers. PM me for more info/pics.

RED MARINES FESTIVAL THIS WEEKEND!

My band "Mobius" puts this shindig together every year. This is the 5th annual. It will be located in the campsites near half moon bay, a great riding spot. Tons of music, camping, beer, babes, sun, for 3 days 2 nights! The line up is amazing, alot of internationally known musicians and DJs. Tickets are 60 dollars and include 3 day camp site. PM me if you're interested!

www.redmarines.com

Back