• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Musician thread

nice work TZ! is that you solo? did you record them at a studio? Well done!

I dig everything except for the electronic drums and the lead guitar has a tad too much distortion and verb.

nice work TZ! is that you solo? did you record them at a studio? Well done!

I dig everything except for the electronic drums and the lead guitar has a tad too much distortion and verb.

Thanks. Recorded in a bedroom at home. Bass is direct, guitars are miced with SM57's and C1000's. The "drums" are an old R8. I did all parts.

Some bass, some guitar...all depending on what they needed at the time. A few songs we recorded were just a "makeshift" demo to show record companies/sponsors how we sounded in general. They're recording an album right now I believe. Now is the first time they've ever had a solid line up for more than 6 months. I really like their stuff...they're really good. I'm really psyched to see where they go in the future.

Patrick, all the tracks are cool; my favorite was “Perfect Portrait.” Nice variety of textures, particularly from the intro to the rest of the song. Has a hook that stays with the listener. A lot going on, but all parts are easy to distinguish in the mix.

Anthony, “Burn in Vain” is really nice. Song structure and sound is reminiscent of Trapt to me. The recordings of all the songs have a nice overall sound. The mastering is quite compressed, especially noticeable in louder sections, where the drums and bass sound squashed. Backing off the ratio would bring back some impact and still probably let you get the levels as hot as you want them. “Unfound Letter” has nice texture changes in the beginning. The clean, sparse sections don’t hit the compressor as hard and have more punch.

Injury, “Padded Cell” has an interesting loping groove – very cool. Nice job recording the cymbals; a lot of detail comes through. The recordings of “DrOPpedd” and “Side Effects” also reveal a lot of detail. You do favor drier guitar sounds than I do. I use less reverb today than what you heard, but instead use long delay to smooth out the tone of lead sounds. Anyway, I like how you guys play around with unusual syncopation and grooves.

Yea, we liked to have really textured songs that often had a lot going on...I guess a rebellion against most rock/metal becoming 3 chord based and not venturing from the formula much, so we tried to stay as un-formulaic as possible. We wanted to be as creative as possible from beginning to end and be as filler-less as possible. As a result, the songs often became very complicated/layered. Which for us was pretty cool, but I could see how a listener would feel like there was a lot happening.

Anthony, “Burn in Vain” is really nice. Song structure and sound is reminiscent of Trapt to me. The recordings of all the songs have a nice overall sound. The mastering is quite compressed, especially noticeable in louder sections, where the drums and bass sound squashed. Backing off the ratio would bring back some impact and still probably let you get the levels as hot as you want them. “Unfound Letter” has nice texture changes in the beginning. The clean, sparse sections don’t hit the compressor as hard and have more punch.

Thanks for the tips. I haven't got to dab into music production as much as I'd like to ; but thanks for pointing these out. Did you learn just by experience, or have you actually studied production? I want to learn badly... :thumbup

Thanks for the tips. I haven't got to dab into music production as much as I'd like to ; but thanks for pointing these out. Did you learn just by experience, or have you actually studied production? I want to learn badly... :thumbup

I've had courses in recording, though it was a long time ago and much has changed since. Many principles are the same, but a lot is completely irrelevant now, like biasing tape machines and editing with razor blades. Makes you appreciate what we have today!

In college, I was a music major. My school was small and the music curriculum was based on traditional conservatory training in a classical vein. My instrument was guitar and my interest was jazz, so there were limits to what I could get at this school. I did some summer coursework at New England Conservatory in their Third Stream Jazz program to augment.

My school did have basic recording facilities and a couple of professors who offered recording classes. I also worked stage crew for three years, specializing in sound reinforcement.

After graduation, I helped a guy build a studio in the Bay Area. It was a private room owned by a composer who did feature films and commercial spots. He was a pioneer in sampling and the room was spectacular. My job was primarily construction, but I spent many hours afterward hanging out and observing.

Since then, it's been a hobby and I've continued to read and experiment. Reading is helpful, but there's nothing like spending time with someone who knows what he's doing to move you along faster.

Awesome. I did most of my recordings out of Expressions with a friend of ours who produced a few Nerve Agents albums, along with another band I played with, "Catherine" and was amazed that 1 song could take an entire day of mixing.

So with that said.. Anyone have a studio we can jam out to and I could practice mixing? :teeth

Thanks for the feedback TZ I appreciate critical listening.

Anthony you should start with getting a free program, a good set of monitors, and spend some dough on acoustic compensation.

Then learn how that room sounds with your favorite records.

Then learn as much as you can about eq and compression and start experimenting.

I have a ProTools license running on my PC that I haven't booted up since I built it :teeth . A 23" monitor , but no room for a small studio.

what's your room dimensions? just think of it as a place to listen critically, doesn't have to be a 'small studio'. Just buy good pair of speakers used off craigs and start experimenting.

18x12 w/ an attached bathroom and a sliding glass door that overlooks the patio. Will do ;) I'll just look for tuts around.

I usually just plug in my 8x10 speak-0n cabinet and blast away lol. I'll downgrade, much more efficient lol

Too many pro's here for this n00b. :(

hugz.jpg

Back