• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Musician thread

Actually my dad LOVES jazz (and blues), and mom plays classical piano. I've always enjoyed listening to almost every form of music (except some country). It wasn't the poster's content, it was the way he came in here in a somewhat arrogant fashion. Bad form for a n00b. :shame

Listening to smooth jazz right now. I'm preparing for a nice BM in a few moments..:laughing

Give me yer damn Roland V's Secondchild...you can't play em anyways!

Sorry (doh!) if I offended anyone. I thought I was being sarcastically funny; they do say that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit....

Y'see, I'm a transplanted brit, with a very dry sense of humour and I love puns and sarcasm, and yes, I'm an arogant sob, just like most brits...and I use the word sorry way too much, sorry. Does being a brit excuse me? Hope so!

So please accept my apologies for coming off as a blowhard curmudgeon on my first post here....as you'll see if you give me a chance, I'm actually really quite a nice chap even though I suck at drums and guitar....

I was very glad to find a thread for musicians. I spent a good few hours reading the entire thread and listening to everyones music. Y'all can play pretty good - I put some of your stuff in my 'pod already!

There isn't much space left in my studio, but I'm open to a jam sometime, fo' sure. Ain't no way 4tuneit1 is getting my V's, sorry (doh!). Maybe you could teach me to play em though?

Dave

Last edited:
See, I told you he couldn't be that dickheaded !! :twofinger

Sounds awesome Dave. I'm willing to jam/record anytime. Just let me know in advance and I'm sure we can conjure something up.

C'mon guys! You don't flip it over to 103.7 every once and a while? I grew up with parents that listened to smooth jazz. I love the stuff! When I was working graveyards at my old job, I would have that on all night. :)

I work nights and used to listen to "The Quiet Storm" but now stream
mainstream jazz via KCSM. Bob Parlocha is great. Saved my job for sure. I
was being somewhat facetious as I actually subscribe to the "If it sounds good,
it is good" school. I still miss KJAZ with Jack Springer and "The All Night Affair."

haha that's funny about Dave.

I think most of us that collab with other musicians know that they can be true arrogant pricks!

Hell even fucking sound guys can be total assholes.

After *politely* asking the sound dude to turn down the bass (it was peaking) a sound dude cursed me out and then walked out when it was my bands set! :rofl and this was last night!

But when it all comes together it fades into sweet oblivion.

Last edited:
Sorry (doh!) if I offended anyone. I thought I was being sarcastically funny; they do say that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit....

Y'see, I'm a transplanted brit, with a very dry sense of humour and I love puns and sarcasm, and yes, I'm an arogant sob, just like most brits...and I use the word sorry way too much, sorry. Does being a brit excuse me? Hope so!

So please accept my apologies for coming off as a blowhard curmudgeon on my first post here....as you'll see if you give me a chance, I'm actually really quite a nice chap even though I suck at drums and guitar....

I was very glad to find a thread for musicians. I spent a good few hours reading the entire thread and listening to everyones music. Y'all can play pretty good - I put some of your stuff in my 'pod already!

There isn't much space left in my studio, but I'm open to a jam sometime, fo' sure. Ain't no way 4tuneit1 is getting my V's, sorry (doh!). Maybe you could teach me to play em though?

Dave

I'd try Dave, but I am a horrible teacher...I have ADD and can't even teach my parents how to copy/paste on the computer without getting frustrated...

Is it a td20 brain?

I think most of us that collab with other musicians know that they can be true arrogant pricks!

Hell even fucking sound guys can be total assholes.

After *politely* asking the sound dude to turn down the bass (it was peaking) a sound dude cursed me out and then walked out when it was my bands set! :rofl and this was last night!

There are a lot of sound engineers out there that don't know what they're doing. They bought gear and learned how to mix just by tweaking knobs. They don't really know what Unity Gain is and you're lucky if they can deal with an impedance mismatch.

On the other hand, trying to get a good mix out of your average band consists of the drummer saying he has no volume knob (translation: crappy drummer with no dynamics) and the bass player not turning down cuz he can't hear his bass, yet 36 feet away he's vibrating shit off the shelves. And then there's the "Lead Guitarist" who has the lead button about 400dB louder than his too loud rhythm cuz he just has to show everyone how far from an accomplished guitarist he is. So when you can't get shit for volume out of the vocalist without feedback because of all the stage volume from the instruments, they blame the sound guy! :wtf

Yeah, been there, done that. Back in my early days of playing, I befriended a sound guy because I knew I'd pick up some tips for recording. I lucked out and found one that really knew his shit and he taught me a lot. I always ask the sound guy what he wants from me and try really hard to give it to him as long as it allows me to do what I need to do.

It's kinda like computing. Don't piss off the sysadmin. :D

On the other hand, trying to get a good mix out of your average band consists of the drummer saying he has no volume knob (translation: crappy drummer with no dynamics) and the bass player not turning down cuz he can't hear his bass, yet 36 feet away he's vibrating shit off the shelves. And then there's the "Lead Guitarist" who has the lead button about 400dB louder than his too loud rhythm cuz he just has to show everyone how far from an accomplished guitarist he is. So when you can't get shit for volume out of the vocalist without feedback because of all the stage volume from the instruments, they blame the sound guy! :wtf
Don't piss off the sysadmin. :D

Yea, that's totally logical. Makes perfect sense.

I shoulda bought him a beer first and then asked him how he handles constructive criticism before I politely asked him lol.

I wonder why so many bars/grills/pubs fail to take acoustics into consideration. I think a small investment of rigid fiberglass or something similar would payoff.

I shoulda bought him a beer first and then asked him how he handles constructive criticism before I politely asked him lol.

Oh, I'm not saying you were wrong, like I said, there's plenty of bad sound engineers. There's plenty of bad period...

But buying em a beer goes a long way. Especially if you want more in the monitors... :laughing

I stopped by the bar today and told the owners what happened last friday (about their less than stellar soundguy). I also applied for his position haha.

picked up a 1968 vintage bandmaster too. I run it into the mesa boogie 2x12 vert cab.

It sounds really clean. I figure if you start from clean you'll be safe...can't go backward.

I just hope it'll get loud enough without breaking up even with and ext cab.
P1010127.jpg

Back