• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Musician thread

I think I talked to manny about this already but icr... My pops had this peavey "wolfgang" guitar when i saw him when i wet down south awhile back. It was some special limited Eddie Van Halen addition. The thing about it was not only was it fucking sexy :drool but it had this cool drop D thing. Is that something I can put onto mine???

Attachments

• evhwolfgang.jpg
    evhwolfgang.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 76
I think I talked to manny about this already but icr... My pops had this peavey "wolfgang" guitar when i saw him when i wet down south awhile back. It was some special limited Eddie Van Halen addition. The thing about it was not only was it fucking sexy :drool but it had this cool drop D thing. Is that something I can put onto mine???

no, you can't put a d-tuna on your strat. The bridge is different, those are made for the double locking tremolo guitars.

your guitars bridge looks something like this
LeftyBridge.jpg

those are made for bridges like this
ts-03-large.jpg

Double-locking tremolo's are so 1987. :|

And you don't need one of those instant drop-D tuners. I had one guitar that had one and it was worthless. You'd still have to fine tune the sound so it wasn't as seamless as those things are supposed to be. Besides, it only takes two seconds to drop your #6 to D. :laughing. If you want the ability to go back and forth between low and high during a song, just get a seven string. :D

no, you can't put a d-tuna on your strat. The bridge is different, those are made for the double locking tremolo guitars.

:bs

With a router and time you can do anything. :teeth But the D-Tuna does require that you already have a double-locking bridge.

I've installed a bunch of Floyd Rose type bridges on Strat-style guitars, and this includes both guitars with existing Fender-style vibratos, and "hardtail" fixed bridges. The latter is much more labor-intensive since I removed a ton of wood and the opening for the bridge block goes straight through the body. In both cases the pivot posts must be precisely set from the nut for proper intonation range. If not, you risk running out of saddle travel either forward or back. You have an option to either install locking tuners, a behind-the-nut string lock, or replacing the standard nut with a locking-style nut (again, this takes much work and allows very little margin for error).

Jaysin, since you already have a tremolo system on your axe, I would suggest a set of locking tuners. As long as the string slots in the nut are correctly shaped (odds are they are not, but I do have a set of specialized fret files) you won't get slack between the nut and tuners that leads to tuning problems. Guitar Fetish (yes that's the name of the site) sells hardware at excellent prices...a set of 6-in-line chrome lockers for your Strat is only $25.95. :thumbup

True mechanical lock- NO TOOLS REQUIRED.

What could be simpler? Just pull the string through the hole, tighten the lock using a coin or screwdriver, snip off the remaining string- give it a 1/4 turn and you're in tune!! NO slippage, a true mechanical lock. Add a pair of our roller string trees and maybe a graphite nut and you've removed almost all of the friction at the headstock. The result looks great, has no effect on the natural tone of your guitar and most importantly, keeps you in tune!

You get a complete set of 6 tuners with washers, bushings and setscrews. The 45 degree offset fits all standard Gotoh setscrew locations, and you need a 10mm hole to mount these.

yhst-50206111187217_2074_10296464

I just re-tubed my Boogie Mark IV combo. I ordered a re-tube kit from Eurotubes, whom I had dealt with once before. Good tubes, prices and great service.

This set of tubes consisted of 4 standard JJ ECC83s (12AX7 variant), 1 balanced ECC83s, 2 JJ 6L6GC's and 2 JJ KT77's. The KT77's are an EL34 variant that can be plugged into the simulclass sockets and provide some of the EL34 type crunch with more low end.

When I first received the tubes, I cleaned all the sockets, installed the tubes and fired up the amp. Almost right away, I was hearing 60 cycle hum when the amp was running in triode mode, but the hum disappeared when I switched to pentode. Moments later, I began to smell smoke and I looked into the back of the amp, where one of the KT77's was "red-plating," or glowing way too hot.

I switched off the amp and contacted Eurotubes. They sent another matched KT77 without any fuss. They explained that they have a .3% failure rate, so while it's pretty rare to get a bad tube, it can happen. The new tube arrived last night, I installed it and the amp sounds great.

Tubes degrade over time and I don't know about you, but I don't really notice the degradation until I saw tubes and hear the difference. I use this amp only occasionally, so it's been years since I'd replaced tubes. The sound had gotten pretty dissatisfying and the swap made a big difference.

If you need replacement tubes, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Eurotubes.

Nice to know Andy.

Now, if I could only find an Egnater seminar amp owner who'd be willing to share the specs of his amp with me, then I'd have a nice little winter project, muahahaha! :devil

Now, if I could only find an Egnater seminar amp owner who'd be willing to share the specs of his amp with me, then I'd have a nice little winter project, muahahaha! :devil

You'll probably puke, but I'm still entertaining the idea of a Fractal Audio Axe-FX Ultra to replace my Mesa Tri-Axis. It has an Egnater sim.

...Jaysin, since you already have a tremolo system on your axe, I would suggest a set of locking tuners. As long as the string slots in the nut are correctly shaped (odds are they are not, but I do have a set of specialized fret files) you won't get slack between the nut and tuners that leads to tuning problems. Guitar Fetish (yes that's the name of the site) sells hardware at excellent prices...a set of 6-in-line chrome lockers for your Strat is only $25.95. :thumbup

yhst-50206111187217_2074_10296464

You use these or anyone eles here??? In other words are they legit? My git doesn't get outta tune too much anyhow tho...:x

Loop Station Pedals

Any of you guys have experience with loopers? I'm borrowing a Boss RC-20XL right now (got it last night). I haven't tried anything fancy. Just laid down a rhythm track and played lead over it. I tried the overdub feature but couldn't get it to work quite right.

Anyway, what loopers have you guys used and/or recommend. This will be primarily used as a tool to play with myself :laughing, since I don't play in a band anymore, and don't have a rehearsal space.

Thanks,
Nick

Anybody have any use for a Korg AX1500G multi effect? Or a Sennheiser Evolution 100 UHF unit (for guitar)? I need loop station funds :)

Anyway, what loopers have you guys used and/or recommend. This will be primarily used as a tool to play with myself :laughing, since I don't play in a band anymore, and don't have a rehearsal space.

I have a DigiTech JamMan and like it pretty well. This product was originally developed by Lexicon and acquired by DigiTech. With a CF card installed, it's got enough memory for six hours of audio. You can save loops to various memory locations, so if you're capturing song ideas and want to hang onto something while you develop it, that's a handy feature.

I typically use it in an effects loop, behind other effects. The only issue I've had is it can be hard to get to unity gain in some effects loops whose send levels are variable. The channel masters on my Mesa MkIV can send a hotter signal than the JamMan can ultimately pass. It's not a terribly big deal, as I can turn down the channel masters and turn up the overall output for the amp.

It has tempo features, which could be useful if you play in some kind of straight time. I change time signatures or use meters that the tempo feature doesn't support, so I ignore the feature and use my own sense of time.

Overdubs are easy and you can stack a limitless number of parts on top of each other. Once you've recorded a part, you can back it out until you record another part on top of that.

It will record stereo line-in, summing the channels to mono. It has a feature to cancel the center of the stereo field, so you can suppress vocals or lead instruments.

If I were looking at loopers now, I'd have to give serious consideration to the Line 6 product. It may have a bunch of bells and whistles that I wouldn't use, but they seem to have done some interesting things with it that are a bit unique.

Whatever you get, they are a great practice tool that can make practice more fun and inspiring than they might otherwise be.

Back