• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Musician thread

I'm actually tempted to get the 25W instead. Aaron's playing out of electronic drums for practices and the lead singer is only using a 15 watt Vox for practice so I'm sure a 25W would work. It's a pretty good chunk of change cheaper and lighter still. :D

The problem is that there's no where to test it out in the area. :p

So I'm thinking about picking up a smaller amp for practicing since I'm tired of lugging my 80lb Bassman 400 over to the drummer's house every week. Does anyone have any suggestions in the 50W range?

Considering that I'm kind of an elitist prick and tend to buy European things, I was looking at this...

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend...es-CR50BXT-50W-1x12-Bass-Combo-Amp?sku=424059

...but not one dealer in the area has one on the floor for me to try out. Thoughts? :dunno

You can't be an elitist, you're not using a tube amp...

I gave up on light weight and solid state a long time ago.

mesaboggie400.jpg

There are supposedly two dealers in a 20 mile radius of here. Nearest is Newark according Orange's web site:

http://www.orangeamps.com/dealers.a...-121.867646&Distance=20&Code=94566&Dealer=576

I already called them. They don't stock any Orange bass amps, just the guitar ones. Custom order only. :|

You can't be an elitist, you're not using a tube amp...

I gave up on light weight and solid state a long time ago.

mesaboggie400.jpg

Since when do you have to use a tube amp to be elitist? :dunno

I already called them. They don't stock any Orange bass amps, just the guitar ones. Custom order only. :|

Did you try a 50 mile radius? There are several more dealers that show up in the 30 mile range. GC doesn't seem to stock them either; not sure about the others.

OTOH, American Musical has a 45 day return policy.

Did you try a 50 mile radius? There are several more dealers that show up in the 30 mile range. GC doesn't seem to stock them either; not sure about the others.

OTOH, American Musical has a 45 day return policy.

So does Musicians Friend. But there's a restocking fee. :rolleyes

At any rate, I just discovered Gelb stocks them. :D

If you haven't heard Fractal Audio's Axe-FX yet, you should.

After having tried all sorts of hardware in various configurations/combinations just to get back to the tone my old SVT had back in the 1970's, I surrendered and just went back to the tube.

I haven't looked back since, and I'm not interested in reinventing the wheel. All of the various emulators I've run accross sound decent only on a digital recording, and suck in the open air, compared to the real deal.

I'd rather pay Dan Torres to re-tube the stuff and maintain it than live with a tone I know isn't real.

Since when do you have to use a tube amp to be elitist? :dunno

WRT Tone.

Solid state gets you volume, tubes get you tone.

After having tried all sorts of hardware in various configurations/combinations just to get back to the tone my old SVT had back in the 1970's, I surrendered and just went back to the tube.

I haven't looked back since, and I'm not interested in reinventing the wheel. All of the various emulators I've run accross sound decent only on a digital recording, and suck in the open air, compared to the real deal.

I'd rather pay Dan Torres to re-tube the stuff and maintain it than live with a tone I know isn't real.

When it comes to tone, what's real is what you hear. There are no requirements as to how it was made.

I've been through the same thing you're describing and always came back to tubes. Not only was the sound not there, but the feel wasn't even close. I was skeptical of the Fractal unit, but needed a new DSP for my rack and it was a bargain even if that's all I used it for. When I tried the amp sims, I was blown away. I dialed in exact copies of my go-to sounds from a tube preamp and a/b'ed them with a footswitch. There was no difference in tone or feel between them.

My rack still has a Mesa Triaxis and 2:90, but at some point, I'll get rid of them and load a smaller rack with a power conditioner, the Axe-FX and a SS power amp. I like a glowing tube as much as the next guy, but I can do without a 100 lb rack, thank you. More than just recreating the sound of one amp, the Axe-FX has about 70 amp sims and every one of them is spectacular. On top of that, I have direct control over parameters that you could only adjust with a soldering iron in real amps. Like the amp, but the bright cap value is a little too high? Twiddle a knob. Want to run a bias setting that sounds killer but would melt a real tube in ten minutes? No problem.

That said, these things appeal more to tweakers than to people who want to set it and forget it. They're not for everyone. My main point is to let you know that it was inevitable that someone would finally get a modeler right and it has happened.

Drop me a line if you want to play the thing sometime.

Back