• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Musician thread

They did but I think they’re pretty well caught up now. I’d expect pretty normal turnaround times, but you could contact them and ask.

I played mine again today. A pretty satisfying little amp and a crazy deal for the price they’re charging.

Anyone have thoughts on digital pedalboards? I'm currently looking at this one from HeadRushFX...

https://www.headrushfx.com/products/pedalboard

pedalboard-front.png

Thing is, before the introduction of the Spark, I've never been a big fan of modeling amps or effects processors. In a show-volume setting, you tend to not notice the nuances too much but in practice mode at home, I can typically hear the differences and it bothers me. That said, the simplicity of having everything located in one floor processor that's simple to setup and use would be supremely ideal.

Andy, haven't you got something like this already?

The Headrush is intriguing to me too. I have a Fractal AxeFX, which was setting the standard at the time I got it. The Headrush and other floor mounted modelers can be plugged straight into the board if you don’t need a back line and there are no worries about micing and how it will sound.

So my biggest thing is, I hate pedal boards. That is to say, I hate having to buy all the separate pedals and package them all together. To me, it's one of the most annoying things about playing guitar these days. Hence, I'm looking for a multi-effects processor that has the most effects options that I honestly have no intention of ever using for amp modeling. At this point, I would plan on running it through the effects loop so that I can retain the ease of being able to use the Mark V's channels directly and independently by using the pedal board's bypass mode. However, in my reading around research this morning, I've discovered that most people aren't a fan of any multi-effects processor's bypass mode, whether it's in "true bypass" mode or not.

I decided to try this a bit on the old GT-1 I have available and found that, indeed, there is a definite tone suck when it's placed in the loop and simply kicked to bypass. Unplug the thing and the amp once again comes alive. Disappointing to say the least, especially when the reviews for the HeadrushFX pedal board's BOSS competitor, the GT-1000, gets the same remarks across all the internet forums in regards to its bypass tone suck.

If you just plug a patch cable into the effects loop without a pedal, can you detect a difference in tone? It might be the loop itself.

I haven't tried that yet. I do know the Mesa manual says that you may have to play with the settings on the pedals a bit before everything dials in so that the tone matches across the board on all channels, but I haven't delved that much time into digging that far into the project yet either.

This is also now a strong contender...and highly rated...

https://line6.com/hx-effects/

[youtube]T63Bugzj-A8[/youtube]

It's just the effects with none of the amp modeling. Which is exactly what I'm looking for. Not sure if anyone else is doing anything like this right now.

If you want a board, the Line 6 Helix is amazing. My Firehawk is as well but the Helix is a step up. They are theguys who started modeling on a mass commercial basis and that’s pretty much all they do. I think that’s where a lot of hate comes from, the so-called “purists”.
Headrush gets great reviews but then youbare getting close to a Kemper in price, although not a pedal board.

I think what I like most about the pedalboards is the ability to step on a boost in gain when you need a wee bit more chug. Or if you start feeling the need for flange/phase/chorus, you can add it throughout any modeled sound you are already playing.

The Headrush is intriguing to me too. I have a Fractal AxeFX, which was setting the standard at the time I got it.The Headrush and other floor mounted modelers can be plugged straight into the board if you don’t need a back line and there are no worries about micing and how it will sound.

Has that changed, in your opinion?

I’m not a massive gear head per se as I always prefer to play than to twiddle knobs, but between my Kemper, several Neural DSP plug-ins, and a 50W 5150iii with an Eventide H9 doing the heavy lifting...I gotta say that the used fxiii I picked up 3wks ago is an amazing bit of kit.

Each rig has it’s advantages and disadvantages for sure, but that fxiii is quickly winning me over.

Has that changed, in your opinion?

I haven't tried some of the competitors that surfaced later but I think the Fractal is still as good as it gets sound-wise. They have become a little more user friendly in terms of connectivity now, which was an area they seemed to fall behind in compared to other solutions.

When I first got mine, I intended to replace a DSP unit in my rack and wasn't necessarily interested in the modelling. I was using a Mesa Tri-Axis and 2:90 at the time and liked the sound. Out of curiosity, I set up some patches on the Fractal using their various Mesa models to see how close I could get to my usual tones. I was amazed to find that the tones (and feel) were indistinguishable. The Tri-Axis came out of the rack.

For the guitar players here, a more mundane topic: What kind of pick do you use?

I haven't tried some of the competitors that surfaced later but I think the Fractal is still as good as it gets sound-wise. They have become a little more user friendly in terms of connectivity now, which was an area they seemed to fall behind in compared to other solutions.

When I first got mine, I intended to replace a DSP unit in my rack and wasn't necessarily interested in the modelling. I was using a Mesa Tri-Axis and 2:90 at the time and liked the sound. Out of curiosity, I set up some patches on the Fractal using their various Mesa models to see how close I could get to my usual tones. I was amazed to find that the tones (and feel) were indistinguishable. The Tri-Axis came out of the rack.

Yeah, agree re fractal sound. Of all my modeling type stuff it sounds most like an amp/cab to me without pushing air. The Kemper and Plug-ins sound really cool too and are super convenient for recording, but imo they sound more like a recording of what an amp/cab should sound like instead of the real deal itself. Not sure that even makes sense, but there it is. If I do decide to sell the big ol rack fxiii it would prob be to get into their fm3.

Max grip jazz 3’s. Red for 6&7, black for 8. And also a jazz 3 profile coin pick for the 8. Because spanky, thudalicious clarity.

You?

I've used standard Fender Heavy's forever but recently have tried a few variations on jazz picks in different materials. Currently trying these:

41xDqCDK7nL._AC_.jpg

I like the precision of the point, but am not sure I like the small size. Trying a few others too that may be a bit bigger but have that sharp tip. I've done OK with the Fenders over the years, but will wear the tip off in about three hours of playing.

The tusq material must have a much different tactile feel and tonality from the Fenders, no?

In the esoteric dept, I like the Big Stubby for acoustic stuff(I don’t do much strumming). And I like this F-1 too. I think it was originally designed for folks who, for physical reasons, are no longer able to grip a pick properly. But I use it as a training tool. Once in a while my grip will get a bit wonky and grabbing the F-1 for a sesh always re-establishes my muscle memory.

Attachments

• 018307B2-5839-4C00-84C2-D104C51A05E4.jpg
    018307B2-5839-4C00-84C2-D104C51A05E4.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 26
The tusq material must have a much different tactile feel and tonality from the Fenders, no?

It does, though the pointed profile is very different too, so I was certainly expecting different. I tried a Red Bear a few years ago and really liked it; the material was bulletproof, it had a point and the pick was large enough for me to grip with thumb and two fingers, which is how I prefer to play. Can't bring myself to pay $45 per pick or whatever they are though.

It does, though the pointed profile is very different too, so I was certainly expecting different. I tried a Red Bear a few years ago and really liked it; the material was bulletproof, it had a point and the pick was large enough for me to grip with thumb and two fingers, which is how I prefer to play. Can't bring myself to pay $45 per pick or whatever they are though.

Imo there’s no such thing as “right” or “wrong” in music. But that said, don’t waste any $ on a 3 pack of F-1’s. It’s totally wrong for you.:laughing

Back