• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Musician thread

OTOH, no Gibson techs worked there when the amp was built and it still blew up. :laughing

Taaaaaasty!

I’ve never laid hands on a Suhr, but I’d sure like to someday. I mean, I have all the gear I need to make the music I want to make but...

Attachments

• 6CCE310C-D975-4D5E-9F86-90335FC8CA1A.jpg
    6CCE310C-D975-4D5E-9F86-90335FC8CA1A.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 85
A few years ago a guy came to demo one of my amps and brought a Suhr. When he was done he offered to let me try it. It was very nice but didn’t leave me feeling like I had to have one.

The dude that started suhr has a cool story. He started working at a luthier shop in New York, built a strat for Mark knopfler, moved to LA and became the head master builder at the fender custom shop before starting the suhr brand

Taaaaaasty!

I’ve never laid hands on a Suhr, but I’d sure like to someday. I mean, I have all the gear I need to make the music I want to make but...

attachment.php

God...that's totally my problem too! :laughing

The dude that started suhr has a cool story. He started working at a luthier shop in New York, built a strat for Mark knopfler, moved to LA and became the head master builder at the fender custom shop before starting the suhr brand

Is he still building them out of a shop in Southern California?

Christmas finally came!

I’m sure it could benefit from a proper once-over by someone who knows what they’re doing, but it seems to me like I got a good one. Once I figure out the Spark app I’ll start learning to cover easy songs. Yesterday was just having fun playing with different voices and refamiliarizing my hands to the few chords I remember.

I’m just going to have to remember to keep a stack of 9V batteries so I don’t end up dead in the water.

Attachments

• 6C8EEFB8-3153-46BD-BD7D-B38225018264.jpeg
    6C8EEFB8-3153-46BD-BD7D-B38225018264.jpeg
    143.4 KB · Views: 35
Is he still building them out of a shop in Southern California?

Yeah, but they also came out with a sub-brand that's manufactured in Asia and setup in their socal shop. From what I understand, if you have some crazy specs in mind for a guitar, they'll build it for you no problem without a crazy custom build price. Idk why but up until a few years ago, I always thought suhr was a budget brand guitar that caters to the shredders, but they are actually a pretty high end shop that make some cool guitars. Idk if I'd ever buy one but I do appreciate them

Oh so check this out.
I bought this exact guitar in like 03 from a Sam ash catalog for like 450 bucks. It was an amazing guitar for the price. It had zero business being as good as it was for the price. I brought it over to my buddy's house to jam and left it there, only to get stolen at a party. His brother moved to Texas a few years back and my guitar ended up in Texas. Hmmm

https://reverb.com/item/11541408-vintage-rogue-double-cutaway-1990s-honeyburst-w-birdseye-top

bxzdnnh7mtbt0uizxnrr.jpg

Yeah, but they also came out with a sub-brand that's manufactured in Asia and setup in their socal shop. From what I understand, if you have some crazy specs in mind for a guitar, they'll build it for you no problem without a crazy custom build price. Idk why but up until a few years ago, I always thought suhr was a budget brand guitar that caters to the shredders, but they are actually a pretty high end shop that make some cool guitars. Idk if I'd ever buy one but I do appreciate them

I only became aware of Suhr in the last year or so. Much like the Parker Fly or even Zemaitis guitars, they're relatively unknown unless you know of someone that has one. Suhr's started popping up on the videos of the YouTube guitar channels I follow in the last couple of years and in the last few months especially.

Aww man, I loved my Parker fly so much. I traded it for a classic mini cooper. An entire car for a guitar. I couldn't pass it up but I regret it so much

Sorry for the video quality. It was 11 years ago technology.

[youtube]_RGXJDJPE9M[/youtube]

Here's a technical question for the electric guitar people: what can I do to keep other strings from vibrating when I strum an adjacent string? I'm just getting into it and it's really frustrating trying to play through a riff with all this extra junk noise. Biggest offender is the E string when I'm playing anything on the A string.

Is there something in the hardware I can tweak to minimize this?

Is it fret buzz or do you get it with open string strums too? Either way, it's best to just get it to a shop for a setup. Unless you know what you're doing, you can make a bad problem worse or actually break something trying to do it yourself. A good setup is invaluable.

No not fret buzz. It happens with open strings, too. I was reading up and it seems like something that just happens to some degree when playing high distortion settings. To me it seems egregious, though. Learning to mute every string I'm not playing seems like a lot of wasted energy and effort if I want to play metal riffs.

It is a brand new guitar, though, so I imagine a pro could get it optimally dialed in. Not sure where to find one in Modesto, though. I don't think it'd be worth it to take it to Guitar Center.

I can't imagine why distortion would have anything to do with what I believe the problem is. It's a matter of intonation, neck straightness and the bridge being properly adjusted among other things. I personally wouldn't take anything to be setup or repaired at a Guitar Center. Find a good local shop (based on reviews or word of mouth) and you'll be set. A good setup generally runs anywhere between $40-$65 and is money well spent.

Ok yeah that issue isn't setup related but more related to the harmonics that are naturally created due to the reaction of the sound output. It's also likely amplified by, er...well, your amplifier. I think you can mask stuff like that with your playing style, but you can't really get rid of it. Of course, I'd really need to see it happen to know for sure if it's what I now think it is.

Back