• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Musician thread

Unsolicited 12th bday gift. It was a package deal, the mg300 and a pig nose legendary 7-100(which I also still have) for $199. But no lessons or even a guitar guidebook, so I just bonked away at it for a year like a monkey with a flashlight. Until the kid down the street taught me highway to hell, and that’s when the lightbulb went on.

He had a Memphis LP copy that I thought was waaaaay nicer than mine, because he told me it was.:laughing

My first guitar. 1978 Memphis Matsumoku MG 300 neck through. I still remember the smell as I opened the case for the first time, kind of a cross between urethane and pecan praline. Just got her back from the day spa where she received a 3/4 resto. I didn’t want to refinish her and lose all the battle scars. The old girl still sounds great and plays like a champ.:love

Looks a lot like the Ibanez Musician Series from the same time period. I have one of those.

Gotta love old guitars.
Fujigen is still offering great guitars today at totally reasonable prices too. Yours is bolt on yes?

How would you describe the neck shape? Just curious because the guitars are similar and come from similar factories at about the same time, and the neck on the mg300 is approaching lumberjack territory.:laughing

It's a neck-through. maple and walnut, with ebony fingerboard. It's a C-shaped neck, moderate depth.

I unwisely did a number on the thing, removing the active electronics and installing Duncans in an H-S-H configuration. This required routing a cavity for the single, and that route was pretty rough.. I covered it with a pick guard, but of course this hides the neck stripe.

The neck shape of your Fujigen sounds very similar my Lumbarr the Barbarian over here, which is to say pretty chunky compared to the super wizards and Kiesel “thin” options I generally play.

I’m not super picky though. Although I’m a classical fretting style guy as opposed to a hook the thumb over kinda guy and so prefer thinner necks, I still feel plenty comfy enough with any neck shape.

Especially when the instrument has a metric gripload of sentimental value like Lumbarr does.

So my Boss MS-3 showed up Thursday at the shop and I picked it up today. Let's just say it's going to take me a while to get this thing dialed in the way I want...and I need to build a damn pedalboard already. :nchantr

Nice!

That should be fun little rabbit hole. Quite a bit of horsepower for 4 bills. And the looper is a nice touch, how many seconds does it record?

Honestly I haven't even delved into that feature as I already had a separate BOSS looper pedal. To be fair, I really don't use loops that much anyway.

I've also pulled the trigger on this Pedaltrain package from Sweetwater. Going to finally start building a proper pedalboard.

PedalBrdKitD-large.jpg.auto.webp

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PedalBrdKitD--pedaltrain-novo-18-sc-gigging-pedalboard-kit

:laughing

Everyone needs *at least* one tele. I love mine.

That’s a sweet board too, I really prefer the feel and sound of rosewood(or pay ferro)over maple.

My 2012 Mag7 workhorse.

Attachments

• 0865EAE4-7DE5-4F98-B3B3-A3103C1249F2.png
    0865EAE4-7DE5-4F98-B3B3-A3103C1249F2.png
    113.9 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I corrected my error too late!

I shouldn’t like mine as much as I do, but I really love it. Super reliable, great sound, and rock solid tuning stability. The only mark against would be the gloss neck. I really prefer tung oiled.

But def desert island contender...

This one has a four-way switch which allows both pickups to be on at the same time in series or in parallel. I'm still getting used to what I can do with it.

It's actually Pao Ferro...and this is my first Tele ever. Seriously. :laughing

More and more manufacturers are using Pao Ferro fretboards instead of rosewood. Sound and feel is similar, the majority of players can't tell the difference. :laughing

A lot of these tone woods and/exotic woods are getting harder to source. True swamp ash, pale moon ebony, heck even straight ebony. There are a few luthiers using “Royal” ebony extensively. “Royal ebony” is marketing lingo for streaky ebony with lots of sap wood that would have been relegated to firewood 20yrs ago.

Signs of our times...

More and more manufacturers are using Pao Ferro fretboards instead of rosewood. Sound and feel is similar, the majority of players can't tell the difference. :laughing

A lot of these tone woods and/exotic woods are getting harder to source. True swamp ash, pale moon ebony, heck even straight ebony. There are a few luthiers using “Royal” ebony extensively. “Royal ebony” is marketing lingo for streaky ebony with lots of sap wood that would have been relegated to firewood 20yrs ago.

Signs of our times...

I believe I read somewhere that rosewood is now considered a "rare wood". :dunno

A truly amazing individual just turned me on to Sibelius First. She doesn’t actually play an instrument(I know, bear with me here) but she’s a TOTAL music theory nerd and can articulate theory better than I can. When she chooses to talk music I choose to listen.

Anyway, it’s free and very powerful.

https://www.avid.com/sibelius

My current writing process has morphed away from classic notation into a strange brew of tab, goofy shorthand, and daw recording. But this program might start nudging me toward my roots again

I thought it might be useful to the three of you so here ya go...:laughing

Last edited:
Back