• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Musician thread

Ok yeah that issue isn't setup related but more related to the harmonics that are naturally created due to the reaction of the sound output. It's also likely amplified by, er...well, your amplifier. I think you can mask stuff like that with your playing style, but you can't really get rid of it. Of course, I'd really need to see it happen to know for sure if it's what I now think it is.

Here's a quick example

[YOUTUBE]YVGpfUjunvk [/YOUTUBE]

So...just get good at muting? Dang learning to play what I want to is tricky enough, I have to also learn how to NOT play what I DON'T want at the same time!

Welp, it looks like GC gets a shot at this thing, anyway. I just noticed it's cracked where the neck meets the body. Only thing that could have caused it would be when the strap slipped off the button and the headstock bounced off the coffee table the first night I had it. It slipped off a few other times since and I caught it. I bought the repair plan but I'd rather just get a new one at this point. Not likely to happen, though. I imagine I'll get some wood glue and a crappy cover-up paint job after a couple months.

So...just get good at muting? Dang learning to play what I want to is tricky enough, I have to also learn how to NOT play what I DON'T want at the same time!

High gain and high volume playing requires that you mute the strings you aren’t playing. This can be done with either hand. Palm muting with the picking hand is common but sometimes players will mute a string with the fretting hand by allowing a finger that is fretting a note to damp an adjacent string.

I tend to play with the outside edge of my palm resting on the bridge and my pinky extended. In the position, I can crook my hand into a shallow v shape that leaves a space open between where the heel of my hand and my pinky are touching the bridge. In this way, I can control which strings are allowed to ring.

Yeah, I kinda subconsciously mute the other strings with my left hand when playing with a lot of distortion/gain.

I don't know what kind of bridge you have, but I've heard putting a piece of sponge under the strings past the saddle will get rid of any weird, unwanted resonant sounds. Might be worth a try

They also make those straps that go around your nut

Yeah, I kinda subconsciously mute the other strings with my left hand when playing with a lot of distortion/gain.

I don't know what kind of bridge you have, but I've heard putting a piece of sponge under the strings past the saddle will get rid of any weird, unwanted resonant sounds. Might be worth a try

They also make those straps that go around your nut

Yeah way back when I had a strap that had a locking mechanism that secured it to the button. This one is nice looking leather but if it doesn't do its ONE JOB then it's garbage. In fact, I think I'll go review it to protect other future saps from buying it.

Well the good news is GC is willing to take it in and exchange for a new one rather than a repair.

The bad news is it looks like I’ll have to wait another month for that new one to get to me. Dangit I have really enjoyed having a guitar in my hands these last few days.

Been leaning more toward learning covers instead of working on my stuff the last few weeks for whatever reason.

Joe: Always with me always with you. Because melodic phrasing.
Journey: The party’s over. Because fun!
Kosma: Autumn leaves. Because I need more cool chords in my life.

Kinda thinking I want to do KingX Goldilox in the near future too. And an old band mate wants to collaborate on Opeth’s Windowpane and Dirge for November.

You?

Last edited:
Saw them thrice. Coolest show was at the Porterville High School auditorium. Probably wasn’t too cool for them though, because only 100 people showed up. It was surreal, like they were playing a private party. I’d imagine their booking agent received a stern talking to. But, like the pros they are, they tore it up like that shabby little theatre was an arena packed with 20,000 fans.

I'm amazed that they weren't turned off by the notion that their manager had booked them at a high school auditorium in the first place! :laughing

Well, it was late 90 or early 91 if memory serves, so they might have been a bit hungry early on in their trajectories. But still, that must have been an interesting conversation both before and after the show.:laughing

I remember reading that Ty used to take the logos off his amps in an effort to try to confuse fans and keep his tone a secret. I always thought that was interesting since any guitarist I know can pretty well identify an amplifier just by it's design alone. I'd imagine that back in the late 80's-early 90's, there weren't really as many options with regard to amplifier options like their are today with all the boutique companies with skin in the game so that probably narrowed it down even further. Still, the guy had tone that many musician journalists claimed was just untouchable.

My first guitar. 1978 Memphis Matsumoku MG 300 neck through. I still remember the smell as I opened the case for the first time, kind of a cross between urethane and pecan praline. Just got her back from the day spa where she received a 3/4 resto. I didn’t want to refinish her and lose all the battle scars. The old girl still sounds great and plays like a champ.:love

Attachments

• 3D1CC896-9F0C-4021-90C6-BFCD6FCE5894.jpg
    3D1CC896-9F0C-4021-90C6-BFCD6FCE5894.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 37
Back