• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Musician thread

I do want the wizard neck shape, but I think I want a floyd rose too, so hard tail wouldn't fit the bill.
I seriously hate the trem system on my strat because you look at it wrong and it'll go out of tune, but I think I'd use it more if I could lock them in there. Only problem is that I'm addicted to new strings and FR bridges don't sound like an enjoyable experience for changing strings.Maybe I'll just go for the dead string evh brown sound haha.

I’m about as mechanically inept as it gets, and string changes on floating trems are no big deal. You can either do one string at a time or get yourself a proper size foam block to keep the bridge horizontal with the body while you change all 6.

I have a 2019 rgr652ahb prestige with a super wizard and Edge double locker. OEM Dimarzios sucked so I dropped in SD Black Winters \m/\m/. I still get it out once in awhile, but since I found Kiesel it doesn’t get the love it used to.

I've played a couple Teles. The bridge pickups always sound awesome. Perfectly wangly jangly sound, but it doesn't do anything sonically that my les paul can't do. Someone once said to me that a tele is just a wood cutting board with a guitar neck attached to it and every time I pick one up, that's all I can think about haha

Maaaan, that’s some harsh shit!:laughing

I thought the same way until I walked into a mom&pop for a midi cable and that smart salesman put Francine in my hands. I fucking love this guitar.

Here she is working some harmonic minor scale into a Coltrane tune.

Attachments

• 4D8862B3-3AEC-4AF5-81EA-F8D0526A218E.jpg
    4D8862B3-3AEC-4AF5-81EA-F8D0526A218E.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Once again on the subject of phrasing, I really like what these three are doing in general. And I’ve noticed since I stumbled on to Moonchild that I specifically admire this young lady’s vocal phrasing. I’m determined to emulate that kid of feel in my melodies, I’m just not sure how to work that kind of training into my daily practice yet. Just listening to them a lot seems to help though.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o9OLI_WDoJQ

I’ve tried repeatedly to post vids the way the cool kids do, and have failed miserably. If posting a link this way is against the rules or something plz feel free to delete. Just do yourself a favor and listen to these talented people first. ;)

I've played a couple Teles. The bridge pickups always sound awesome. Perfectly wangly jangly sound, but it doesn't do anything sonically that my les paul can't do. Someone once said to me that a tele is just a wood cutting board with a guitar neck attached to it and every time I pick one up, that's all I can think about haha

i picked up the one that has the humbucker in the neck otherwise I'd just have found an old one with only a bridge pickup.

That charvel one someone posted is pretty awesome too. I figure if Jim Root can make chugga chugga with a tele I can do just about anything with one too. :rofl

if you can make my LP sound like the bridge pickup in my tele and not hurt my back plz come over and fix it for me :lol:

I've never heard a Tele bridge pickup sound anything like a LP. In fact, the whole reason I bought a LP is because, even as a Fender nerd, I can concede that there are tones that a LP puts out that simply no Fender can replicate without a modeler. My LP has coil-splitting capabilities too, and the salesman at the store was all amped about talking about that crap but I told him if I wanted a single-coil sound out of a LP, I'd buy a LP with single-coils in it. To me, there's no coil-splitting setup anywhere that truly makes a humbucker sound sonically the same as a true single-coil. There's a LP available with P90s but honestly...why? :dunno I think LP's are the best when they stick with tried-and-true PAF humbuckers. Classic sound!

As for Jim Root's Tele, there's a lot of videos of him talking about how he grew up with Fenders (...like I did too) and he just has a love for them from a historical standpoint. But honestly, what makes his Fender signature models scream is the fact that he puts EMG pickups in them. I mean, you could do that with any guitar and likely get similar results. Not that I'm bagging it...that white Tele is sex.

Speaking of "that Charvel one someone posted", that's a Pro-Mod So-Cal Style 2 and I have one in Robin's Egg Blue. :cool I absolutely love that guitar and it caused me to have second thoughts about the standard Tele in general. Again, as a Fender nerd, I love them for what they are, but sonically, they just don't do it for me. The Charvel absolutely does. And with its compound radius neck, it's more comfortable for me to play than a regular Tele.

I'm selling my Vintera 60s modified Tele if you're interested...

https://bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=550989

Have you ever heard someone refer to a les paul as a Tele on steroids?

Not all LP's have that characteristic, but a lot of the PAF sound is characterized by the bridge pickup having a spanky, twangy, wangly jangly, quacky, honky tone, or whatever other adjective you'd use to describe it, which is exactly the way I'd describe the Tele sound.

LP sound is also is characterized by that syrupy smooth, warm as a fresh muffin neck pickup sound, which most people associate with the humbucker sound as their default.
A lot of the comparisons between the two guitars came from people thinking Jimmy page was playing a les paul on some super popular zeppelin songs when in actuality he was playing his tele and vice versa.
They definitely have a similar tone in their bridge pickups and behind a mix and effects, you might be hard pressed to find the tonal difference, even though they are definitely there.

this is precisely why I just went for a tele. I haven't looked back I love this stupid thing.

Forgive if I’m being too literal, but I thank my little pieces of wood and wire before replacing them in their proper places every single time. They’re not stupid. They’re beautiful works of art in their own right, and they help me express myself.

Some of them have even begun to take on personalities(of a limited sort, mind) of their own.

Again, I’m not trying to challenge. Just trying to understand.

Not all LP's have that characteristic, but a lot of the PAF sound is characterized by the bridge pickup having a spanky, twangy, wangly jangly, quacky, honky tone, or whatever other adjective you'd use to describe it, which is exactly the way I'd describe the Tele sound.

I could have sworn that, all other things being equal, a typical dual-coil humbucker (i.e. the famous "Patent Applied For" humbucker invented by Electro Voice in 1934) has a warmer sound than the much brighter tone of a single-coil usually found in Telecasters and Strats. I guess one can either split the humbucker electronically or run the coils in parallel (think Angus Young), however that wouldn't be the same thing. :)

Last edited:
Agreed with the splitting thing. It’s a neat gimmick but to me, the sound just isn’t the same as a true single coil.

Not to be pedantic, but a split humbucker really is a true single coil. It doesn't sound the same as a Strat or Tele pickup for a variety of reasons.

With any single coil (whether a standalone single coil or one coil of a humbucker, the sound will be influenced by the size of the bobbin, the type and size of magnet, the type of wire, number of windings and even the wire tension. The placement of the pickup along the length of the string makes a huge difference in tone. The way the material the guitar is made of vibrates affects tone.

With a humbucker, all of the above also apply, but you also have phase cancellation between the two coils, which cancels hum but tends to also cancel certain overtones, making the pickup sound thicker or darker or however you'd describe it. Having two coils, the humbucker is also listening to the string at two different points along the string length, which also produces some frequency cancellation.

Tried to take a quick video of the spanky tele tone I can get from my LP, but it's just not coming through in a phone recording as much as you can hear it irl. Guess you guys will just have to take my word for it haha, or just come out to sac for beers and a jam session to hear for yourselves

[youtube]lMUZ6TfiGrE[/youtube]

Not to be pedantic, but a split humbucker really is a true single coil. It doesn't sound the same as a Strat or Tele pickup for a variety of reasons.

With any single coil (whether a standalone single coil or one coil of a humbucker, the sound will be influenced by the size of the bobbin, the type and size of magnet, the type of wire, number of windings and even the wire tension. The placement of the pickup along the length of the string makes a huge difference in tone. The way the material the guitar is made of vibrates affects tone.

With a humbucker, all of the above also apply, but you also have phase cancellation between the two coils, which cancels hum but tends to also cancel certain overtones, making the pickup sound thicker or darker or however you'd describe it. Having two coils, the humbucker is also listening to the string at two different points along the string length, which also produces some frequency cancellation.

I get it...when I said "true" single coil, I meant a literal single coil pickup on its own, not one that is electrically split off from it's mate in a traditional humbucker setup. To me, I've yet to hear any coil-splitting setup on a humbucker sound anywhere close to any "true" single coil pickup whether it's a Fender or not. The best example for this that I do have a lot of experience with and that Fender does offer is both the Stratocaster and the Telecaster in both true single coil (traditional) setups as well as with humbucker versions that include coil-splitting capabilities. Even in those latter cases, the sound isn't the same as the "true" single coil versions...and I'm talking about in the same price points too, like the Player Series exclusively or even the American Professional Series exclusively. I've compared them apples to apples with the same amp without any changes to the amp settings between the guitars and yeah, I'm just not hearing the similarities that people say are there. :dunno

Back