• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Musician thread

What do you think about the new Cobain jagstangs?

I have been toying with the idea of trying to find a nice, shreddy guitar lately, like an Ibanez rg,or, I'd love to get another Parker fly, but it makes me nervous that they aren't making guitars anymore so the support is basically zero now

Maybe take peek at used Kiesels. Bolt on Aries with Lithium pups and 20” rad goes up against any Prestige RG and wins imo. Plenty of good deals on reverb etc. Since the shop is semi custom you’ll def find a few clowns with zero aesthetic sensibility who just throw a bunch of mis-matched woods and finishes at a build and think they can offload their watermelon burst buckeye burl with purple flamed maple fretboard for $100 less than they paid. But there are also a lot of sensible builds with the exact same outstanding workmanship for $800-$1200.

...I'd love to get another Parker fly, but it makes me nervous that they aren't making guitars anymore so the support is basically zero now

I have a gen 1 Fly Deluxe and have found the thing to be bulletproof. There is a circuitboard in there that could be an issue if anything went wrong with it, but finding an option to fix it shouldn't be much of an issue. The likelihood is it will last longer than you will. It would also be a very long time before a Fly would need a fret job, if it ever would.

Do they use stainless frets? I used to have a Parker mojo in black with a HH setup and it was an amazing guitar but I don't remember much about its specs. I ended up trading it for a classic mini Cooper haha. It was for sure the smoothest playing guitar I've owned, but it's lack of weight made it feel like a fragile toy.

Yes, the Parkers have stainless frets with no tang that are glued to the carbon composite fingerboard.

Too good of a deal to pass up on...

MX21113718-front-xlarge.jpg.auto.webp

You can't see that? It's a Jaguar. Pau ferro fretboard? I love when fretboard wood waves back and forth like that. That was one of my favorite things about neighbor's 64 strat.

Can’t see it for some reason, but thx!

I love cool fretboards too. All of my custom Kiesels are inlay delete to highlight the grain. The coolest I’ve ever seen was a friends zebrawood board, but man oh man did that stuff stink. Like a dairy or something.

PSA...0 I’ve been a pretty big proponent for the Kiesel brand here. But the shop has evidently taken on way more biz than it can handle. Poor workmanship, shitty wiring, relatively long wait times, and horrendous customer service problems are starting to show up with more regularity.

All my Kiesels both used and custom are virtually flawless, but it might be time to hold off on new builds until they get their shit straight.

Yeah I have seen first hand/heard that a few bigger brands (cough*fender USA*cough) are just too swamped pumping out guitars and dealing with newly hired personnel that hasn't had time to be properly trained, and their quality control has suffered as a result. I'm sure once things die down, and assuming we don't go into another global lockdown, it'll all catch up.

As far as fretboards go, I am a huge fan of lighter streaky rosewood. I love how zebra wood looks too but my complaints are the same as yours. It smells like a frickin horse stable, but looks amazing. My gf's guitalele has a zebra wood top and I recently figured out that the barnyard smell in her place was coming from it. I do like those dark chocolate Brazilian rosewood boards, but those aren't exactly a reality these days and ebony is too hard to me, kinda like how a maple board feels on my fingers where there's zero softness or give. Less warm feeling. My favorite look to a fretboard is a super wavy, gradient grain with lots of streaks. The color of my R9's fretboard is perfect to me but it lacks that wavy characteristic
qNo33uZ.jpg

You can't see that? It's a Jaguar. Pau ferro fretboard? I love when fretboard wood waves back and forth like that. That was one of my favorite things about neighbor's 64 strat.

Can’t see chit. Jazzmaster?

How about now?

224519898_10223463231142745_4011187414160739154_n.jpg

And yeah, they had five available but only this one had that wave grain through the fretboard. Love it!

Yeah I have seen first hand/heard that a few bigger brands (cough*fender USA*cough) are just too swamped pumping out guitars and dealing with newly hired personnel that hasn't had time to be properly trained, and their quality control has suffered as a result. I'm sure once things die down, and assuming we don't go into another global lockdown, it'll all catch up.

As far as fretboards go, I am a huge fan of lighter streaky rosewood. I love how zebra wood looks too but my complaints are the same as yours. It smells like a frickin horse stable, but looks amazing. My gf's guitalele has a zebra wood top and I recently figured out that the barnyard smell in her place was coming from it. I do like those dark chocolate Brazilian rosewood boards, but those aren't exactly a reality these days and ebony is too hard to me, kinda like how a maple board feels on my fingers where there's zero softness or give. Less warm feeling. My favorite look to a fretboard is a super wavy, gradient grain with lots of streaks. The color of my R9's fretboard is perfect to me but it lacks that wavy characteristic
qNo33uZ.jpg
Gorgeous board. Love me a fat slab of rosewood. I just tried to post a few images of my boards but the site is acting weird lately and it won’t let me.

I have been toying with the idea of trying to find a nice, shreddy guitar lately, like an Ibanez rg.

Want to buy my RG421 hardtail? I've been thinking of letting it go. Upgraded the stock pups w/GFS Crunchy Rails. I'd let it go cheap. :teeth

Want to buy my RG421 hardtail? I've been thinking of letting it go. Upgraded the stock pups w/GFS Crunchy Rails. I'd let it go cheap. :teeth

I do want the wizard neck shape, but I think I want a floyd rose too, so hard tail wouldn't fit the bill.
I seriously hate the trem system on my strat because you look at it wrong and it'll go out of tune, but I think I'd use it more if I could lock them in there. Only problem is that I'm addicted to new strings and FR bridges don't sound like an enjoyable experience for changing strings. Maybe I'll just go for the dead string evh brown sound haha.

As far as fretboards go, I am a huge fan of lighter streaky rosewood.

Many major guitar companies have replaced true rosewood boards with laurel.

kelsodeez said:
I do like those dark chocolate Brazilian rosewood boards, but those aren't exactly a reality these days

When I worked at Dan Ransom Guitars in SF, we always wore some sort of breathing protection when working with rosewood (and ebony and mahogany as well), because the dust created was toxic.

Many major guitar companies have replaced true rosewood boards with laurel.

When I worked at Dan Ransom Guitars in SF, we always wore some sort of breathing protection when working with rosewood (and ebony and mahogany as well), because the dust created was toxic.

Do they disclose this?

I do want the wizard neck shape, but I think I want a floyd rose too, so hard tail wouldn't fit the bill.
I seriously hate the trem system on my strat because you look at it wrong and it'll go out of tune, but I think I'd use it more if I could lock them in there. Only problem is that I'm addicted to new strings and FR bridges don't sound like an enjoyable experience for changing strings. Maybe I'll just go for the dead string evh brown sound haha.

this is precisely why I just went for a tele. I haven't looked back I love this stupid thing.

this is precisely why I just went for a tele. I haven't looked back I love this stupid thing.

I've played a couple Teles. The bridge pickups always sound awesome. Perfectly wangly jangly sound, but it doesn't do anything sonically that my les paul can't do. Someone once said to me that a tele is just a wood cutting board with a guitar neck attached to it and every time I pick one up, that's all I can think about haha

Back