• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Musician thread

Forgive if I’m being too literal, but I thank my little pieces of wood and wire before replacing them in their proper places every single time. They’re not stupid. They’re beautiful works of art in their own right, and they help me express myself.

Some of them have even begun to take on personalities(of a limited sort, mind) of their own.

Again, I’m not trying to challenge. Just trying to understand.

Mostly referring to just the utter simplicity of the design of the Tele. It's dead simple (or stupid? mostly being facetious/colloquial) and like a few notches above a cigar box, but oh boy it's gorgeous and the first time I played one I was in love with it.

I played a lot of guitars and intended to walk out with some ibanez or jackson shred machine, but...i held the tele, and it spoke to me, and i took it home. It's magical and it definitely has a personality of its own.

Mostly referring to just the utter simplicity of the design of the Tele. It's dead simple (or stupid? mostly being facetious/colloquial) and like a few notches above a cigar box, but oh boy it's gorgeous and the first time I played one I was in love with it.

I played a lot of guitars and intended to walk out with some ibanez or jackson shred machine, but...i held the tele, and it spoke to meand i took it home. It's magical and it definitely has a personality of its own.

Isn’t weird how that happens? Some guitars just have that mojo. It seems when we”re open to that vibe some really cool things start happening.

Thx for the response, I understand now.:thumbup

I’ve never played a Tele and you’re making me afraid to try one.

10yrs ago If you told me I was going to walk into a music store for a cable and walk out with a telecaster I’d have said you were nuts. But here I am, 2.5yrs after the fact with a big smile and some serious fret wear.

The complete works of Plini. These should keep me busy for, oh I dunno, the rest of my life.:laughing

Attachments

• 617398C3-AD0D-40D1-92AC-BA86CC5A7C72.jpg
    617398C3-AD0D-40D1-92AC-BA86CC5A7C72.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 33
I’ve never played a Tele and you’re making me afraid to try one.

I'll loan you one to tinker with if you'd like...

10yrs ago If you told me I was going to walk into a music store for a cable and walk out with a telecaster I’d have said you were nuts.

Agreed. I just haven't found the one that scratches all the itches for me yet. Charvel excluded of course, but that's not a "real" Telecaster anyway...

Thanks, but there are probably some things I'm better off not knowing. I need another guitar like, well, you do. :laughing

I was a one guitar guy forever and I def don’t subscribe to the G=n+1 school of thought. But i’ve found alternate tunings to be a lot of fun, and even necessary at times for a buncha covers. Currently I have an acoustic tuned cgcgcd for Tea Party stuff, an electric6 tuned to open G for Stones covers on a project, a Floyd equipped double locker 6(and all that entails re tuning)tuned to Eb because VH and so a debutante vocalist can handle a couple Poison tunes(ya’ll shut your whore mouths. It’s FUN ;)), and a 7 down tuned to A. And of course 6’s, 7’s, and an 8 tuned standard for everything else.

I just can’t realistically do that efficiently with a guitar or two. Why limit myself?

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it...

I have a few guitars, one that I use primarily. The problem is, I never get rid of any.

I think it's the same thing with motorcycles. Some do things others don't. Guitars are no different. To me, there's no such thing as a "everything" guitar. Therefore, I need multiple versions...or at least that's what I keep telling myself. :laughing

However, I have limited myself to no more than six in the collection at any time. Once one more is added, another has to go.

Sure. If you just play the campfire chords, any Y camp counselor can bang it out. But there are 4 guitars if you count the lap steel, and incorporating as many of those parts/fills into a play-through is the goal. It’s also the kind of playing that separates kumbaya campfire guy from a real guitar player imo.

Plus, all that on an acoustic capo’d at the second fret is hell on the hands. But even with all that, I think it’ll fly real well around here if’n we can get it tight.

Hold on, capo? I've never played that song with a capo and I'm not sure why you would need to. It's all basic structure and chords. I'm talking about that entire acoustic intro...if you can do that the rest isn't hard. But yeah the song requires more than one instrumentalist. I just thought you meant the acoustic guitar portion. Hell, even the lead is simple stuff and I barely know scales. :cool

In thinking about it, my Parker could send its piezo output to a different (acoustic for example) amp. There is overlap between parts where you could play the first few measures into a looper, get the looper playing back and switch to magnetic pickups on a different amp. A second looper to loop the crunch guitar while faking the lap steel with a slide and then playing the solo.

You’d be tap dancing like a motherfucker.

Hold on, capo? I've never played that song with a capo and I'm not sure why you would need to. It's all basic structure and chords. I'm talking about that entire acoustic intro...if you can do that the rest isn't hard. But yeah the song requires more than one instrumentalist. I just thought you meant the acoustic guitar portion. Hell, even the lead is simple stuff and I barely know scales. :cool

Negative, sir. The song as written is in standard tuning with the capo at the second fret which effectively makes the song in the key of A. Now, take into consideration that I have to the learn the song as written in order to catch all the little nuances, THEN I have to re-learn the song with the guitar down tuned a half step with no capo because mr vocalist guy can’t sing it as written and only feels comfy with his goofy tunings.

In thinking about it, my Parker could send its piezo output to a different (acoustic for example) amp. There is overlap between parts where you could play the first few measures into a looper, get the looper playing back and switch to magnetic pickups on a different amp. A second looper to loop the crunch guitar while faking the lap steel with a slide and then playing the solo.

You’d be tap dancing like a motherfucker.
Too complicated. What works best for me in this acoustic trio situation is to just let vocalist guy bang away at the campfire chords while I arpeggiate, add texture,embellish, thrown in fills and licks, etc.

Back