• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Musician thread

Negative, sir. The song as written is in standard tuning with the capo at the second fret which effectively makes the song in the key of A. Now, take into consideration that I have to the learn the song as written in order to catch all the little nuances, THEN I have to re-learn the song with the guitar down tuned a half step with no capo because mr vocalist guy can’t sing it as written and only feels comfy with his goofy tunings.

A bit rusty, but here you go. No capo. And now Kelly is pissed that I was playing country shit. :laughing

[youtube]B-G4pbZi0mI[/youtube]

K I gotta scoot right now so the tldr is with the capo you can use nice ringing and easy on the hands open chords in the G shape, G#dim7 shape, A7 shape, and D shape without all that barre stuff. Then I yank the capo off for the solo and replace it immediately after. We’re kinda hitting the same goal via different paths.:thumbup

Btw, props for putting yourself out there with the vid. Also, tho not a country fan, I caught my wife belting this tune out in the shower this morning.

I guess hearing it about 100 times yesterday hit her right in the subliminals.:laughing

Too complicated. What works best for me in this acoustic trio situation is to just let vocalist guy bang away at the campfire chords while I arpeggiate, add texture,embellish, thrown in fills and licks, etc.

Yeah, if there is another guitar, that makes things much easier.

Btw, props for putting yourself out there with the vid. Also, tho not a country fan, I caught my wife belting this tune out in the shower this morning.

I guess hearing it about 100 times yesterday hit her right in the subliminals. :laughing

Exactly! That's why I'm singing it and jamming it with the electrics now and Kelly's even more pissed. :laughing

A bit rusty, but here you go. No capo. And now Kelly is pissed that I was playing country shit. :laughing

[youtube]B-G4pbZi0mI[/youtube]

I've been fucking with this one all day and I think you're onto something re no capo as pertains to playing both the acoustic part(verse) and the electric part(chorus) with one instrument. I use the first position A#dim7 where use use a barre but very similar otherwise. The capo, while simplifying things in one way actually is less efficient to a guy playing both acoustic and electric parts on stage imo. Plus, to keep vocalist dude happy all i gotta do is downtune a half step and it'll all fit. I think...

Imma keep messin' with it...

Folsom Prison Blues is next on the list. After some research on the electric part, this might not be as boring as I thought. In fact, it looks like a bit of shitkickin’ fun. Plus, I have to admit the vocalist dude and the cajon guy have this one tight and in the bag. So all I gotta do is my little part.

On the other end of the spectrum, Journey’s “faithfully” is the first set closer. I’m pretty sure I want to finger pick the piano part on guitar in addition to that monster solo and those tasty fills. Gonna be a challenge.

Time to break it to the guy that his 3pc acoustic concept ain’t gonna work. I can service these songs better and be a much bigger asset on an electric while he kumbayas it up on acoustic.

:laughing

Seriously though, is this a thing? Rarely do I pick up any of my guitars anymore and find them out of tune. I think a lot of it has to do with having a proper setup to begin with, a string gauge that isn't drastic in size difference from what the factory strings were, not storing the instrument improperly in the first place (ie: in direct sunlight at some point during the day) and also keeping them in a temperature controlled room.

[youtube]C85Im4xGqxg[/youtube]

Tuning stability...can open, worms everywhere. I think we all have a highly subjective minimum level of tuning tolerance. Some lower than others.

When recording I tune before every take. When performing I tune every possible opportunity, ideally before every song. When practicing or just playing for fun, the bar is lower for sure.

I just tried to load a soundcloud clip of me playing Folsom Prison with a backing track. But there seems to be a copyright issue so you'll just have to take my word it was deadnutz in tune.:teeth

Got a new case for flying with the R9. Now people will think I'm carrying a rifle haha.

JacGIpe.jpg

Back