• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Musician thread

I hear ya. I REALLY wanted to like strats because I love that neck pup tone. But every single one I’ve touched felt like complete ass. Chunky neck, middle pup gets in the way, vol pot in bad location. Re using the LP for Gilmour...my view has always been, if it feels good and it sounds good it is good.

There are other S-types aside from Fender that have relocated the pots. Same goes with the chunky neck issue. Hell even Fender has MIM signature S-types that would likely meet your desires. Gotta have that 2 and 4 position though! Love the quack! :love

For sure.

I have an Ibby AZ2402 with SD Hyperion hummers, 5-way blade and split coil in each position. Split coiled #4 blade position comes about as close as I can get to that stratty sound. And although I’ve never been a fan of the Ibby vol pot placement, I was able to replace the speed knob with a much smaller diameter standard knurled knob that gives me just enough room not to hate the thing.

If I ever decide to go the super strat route again I’ll prob do the Kiesel Delos and send in the appropriate Fender single coils. Build it with my usual custom control layout which moves the vol completely out of my way.

What makes theMIM strats different wrt necks, vol placement etc?

It's based on how the artist wanted them. I'm thinking something like Jim Root's Strat but that's HH. However, it does have a compound radius fretboard which you'll likely enjoy. It's very similar to my Charvel that you also are waiting on. ;)

I hear ya. I REALLY wanted to like strats because I love that neck pup tone. But every single one I’ve touched felt like complete ass. Chunky neck, middle pup gets in the way, vol pot in bad location.

Neck thickness is extremely personal to some players. You can always lower the middle pickup via the adjustment screws. As for relocating the controls, best option is to either get a custom pickguard with pot holes to your specifications, or order one with no control holes at all and drill them where you want. :thumbup

Neck thickness is extremely personal to some players. You can always lower the middle pickup via the adjustment screws. As for relocating the controls, best option is to either get a custom pickguard with pot holes to your specifications, or order one with no control holes at all and drill them where you want. :thumbup

I was thinking about doing that. Just have one master tone knob and move the volume knob down one notch. I'd probably want to relocate the selector switch as well since I'm always flicking that down to the bridge pickup when I'm playing.

I actually really love the C shape neck on my strat. It makes thumb wrapping bass notes much easier to play than on the super chunky neck r9. The longer scale of it kinda sucks too tho

It's based on how the artist wanted them. I'm thinking something like Jim Root's Strat but that's HH. However, it does have a compound radius fretboard which you'll likely enjoy. It's very similar to my Charvel that you also are waiting on. ;)

:laughing Killin' me...

I'm not married to any one neck style though I shy away from the extremes e.g super chunky or super wizard. As for drilling holes, I'm the guy who can electrocute himself cutting a slice of watermelon(true story). So I might want to steer clear on that one.

. The longer scale of it kinda sucks too tho

I'm used to 25.5"...27" baritone...and multiscale 27.5"-26.5". But I picked up that cheapo PRS a few months back and I gotta say I really do like that 24.5". Soooo easy on the hands.

I'm not married to any one neck style though I shy away from the extremes e.g super chunky or super wizard. As for drilling holes, I'm the guy who can electrocute himself cutting a slice of watermelon(true story). So I might want to steer clear on that one.

Don't know where you live but I could easily drill a hole or two in plastic for you. I've worked at a couple of guitar shops in the past. ;)

For that matter, someone in the BARF Militia could probably put a hole in it for you.

Oh.My.Land!

I should NOT have gone to Real Guitars inventory page. Now that Carvin solid koa, EBMM axis, and that gorgeous Hag Viking are gonna be floating around my head all day.

Daaaaang, that guy has some nice stuff.

Last time I stopped by that place there was an early 60's tobacco burst Strat hanging in a case, dirty maple fretboard, sweat corroded hardware and warped celluloid pickguard.

Price tag was nearly $20k. :wtf

Last edited:
Thankfully, vintage instruments aren’t my kink.

The EBMM axis is sweet af, but I already own it’s corona built, steroid raging grandson. That Carvin tho. Exactly 206mi....I could hop on the GS and be at his door in about 2.5hrs. Have him ship it to me, and continue on up to the Lost Coast. Then Usal beach...

Hooli, does the guy haggle? Or is he pretty much a “pay full pop or gtfo cuz my shit’s special” kinda guy.

Regardless, one thing’s for sure, he has an eye for good stuff.:thumbup

Last edited:
Hooli, does the guy haggle? Or is he pretty much a “pay full pop or gtfo cuz my shit’s special” kinda guy.

Regardless, one thing’s for sure, he has an eye for good stuff.:thumbup

Don't know, I never bought anything from him, I was in Dan's workshop in the back.

If you want to deal with a rather odd individual, stop by Subway Guitars in Berkeley and talk to the owner, Fat Dog. :laughing

Welp, my research in ongoing but it appears he wants $1600 for guitar worth about $900. Maybe less since it’s clearly been molested. I’ve no interest in paying more for rarity or celeb appeal.

Now your boy PhatDawg has a very reasonably priced Kiesel SCB7 on the other hand. I have all the 7’s I need tho. Somebody’s gonna score a great guitar for 8 bills or less

Charvel imminent. Captor x too. Sooo ready to get that 5150iii goodness daw utilized without all thE mic nonsense.

Last edited:
Back