• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Photos of your bike on location

In search of the back way to Idaho City

I figured I would see if it was possible to get to Idaho City by the back roads. It was looking good for quite a few miles, but the top is still icy, so no go. I'll probably have to wait at least another month. At least the sandy mud here offers much better traction than the slimy mud on one of my earlier trips.

ObeYePL.jpg

^^^:thumbup

got turned around by snow myself this afternoon on Sherman Pass Road:

picture.php

Sherman Pass Road, Tulare County, CA, about 5000’. turned around by snow drifts above 7000’.

Last edited:
Tried to ride Sherman Pass on one of my Trips was closed also :(

Mt Hamilton Rd

The hillsides are finally coming back to life and turning green. Surprised to see some snow at the top. A little sandy from Kincaid Rd to the top.

Jy0pr8A.jpg

Jd235Ur.jpg

E1ia2UX.jpg

ruFcZGf.jpg

Metcalf Rd

J36jdIq.jpg

Been a while for me.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210317-212304_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210317-212304_Chrome.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 17
Fun road.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210317-212252_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210317-212252_Chrome.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 12
Tried to ride Sherman Pass on one of my Trips was closed also :(

Had to look that road up on maps, looks like fun when it's open!

Sherman Pass Road just goes on forever, usually open for street bikes sometime in June maybe. I’ll spare us my snowdrift pics ... :laughing

I have warped fantasies about a 75s, and that red one really fits the bill.

really love mine, think you’d enjoy one. they used to be an amazing used bike value. :ride

one more from today’s ridiculous misadventure. on the way to Emigrant Pass, Death Valley NP, Inyo County, CA.

picture.php

300 miles, one valve stem failure, one out-of-gas episode, one pick-up truck rescue. yes. we are bozos, mostly. :clown:facepalm

300 miles, one valve stem failure, one out-of-gas episode, one pick-up truck rescue. yes. we are bozos, mostly. :clown:facepalm

Cool pic John, but sorry about this last bit :thumbdown

Cool pic John, but sorry about this last bit :thumbdown

Sounds adventurous at least, and you got 300 miles in despite all that!

:thumbup

the last bit is what we’ll remember, of course ... everything fell apart after just at sundown. :laughing

the full panoply:

picture.php

Hwy 178, just below Walker Pass, Kern County, CA. K75s w/ valve stem flat rear in pick up, having it’s gas siphoned with a windshield washer tube from the Toyota, for the out-of-gas GS-A. :party

finishing the ride today on the plan b bike:

picture.php

Panoche Road, on the way to Jackass Pass, Fresno County. 2000 Kawasaki KLR. not sure what year Toyota truck. Kalle had shown up it it with his Indian Bobber and the KLR to drop the bobber off in LA to have the its blown cylinder fixed. he’s schlepping the BMW home today down Hwy 99. saved the bacon this trip, god bless him. :angel

Last edited:
Hwy 178, just below Walker Pass, Kern County, CA. K75s w/ valve stem flat rear in pick up

I had one of those on my scooter. Just riding in to Pasadena, the rear end started getting all wobbly. Nursed it off the freeway to a store, and saw the tire was flat. Put in a can of "fix a flat" and off I went.

Unsurprisingly, it went flat again -- but it did take awhile. Managed to find a random scooter store in mini mall that was able to make the repair.

And thinking on that, I don't think I've seen a can of fix-a-flat in quite some time.

^^^:thumbup

got turned around by snow myself this afternoon on Sherman Pass Road:

picture.php

Sherman Pass Road, Tulare County, CA, about 5000’. turned around by snow drifts above 7000’.

Lovely photo and bike! Sorry about the snow. Sherman Pass Road is one of my favorite roads. Love the whole Kern Plateau, street and/or dirt, it's all good!

:thumbup

the last bit is what we’ll remember, of course ... everything fell apart after just at sundown. :laughing

Must be something to that. Last ride where there was a mechanical, it was at the end of the ride right after sunset. Buddy and I had done the Knoxville > Cache Creek ride on our dual sports and were on our way back to SF. He pulled over as he said the bike felt funny. We eyeballed everything in the dark and couldn't see anything odd. Got going again and a few miles later he's pulling off 101 (thankfully at a gas station) and I notice a few bolts eject themselves from his rear sprocket which is wobbling violently. Luckily he coasted to a stop and had towing on his insurance so we hung out till the tow truck got there.

Off 101, north of 129

NilJk7N.jpg

IomG9pH.jpg

7BK0eO2.jpg

Southside Rd, Hollister

Tol49mG.jpg

l1E3Ait.jpg

H9vzjfC.jpg

Last edited:
Panoche Rd

J3iD1Zb.jpg

New Idria Rd

The cows were all staring at me as I rode by so I waved at them

fFOUYHJ.jpg

NTF3qqS.jpg

JtydQnt.jpg

Last edited:
I plan on going out to New Idria soon. Pretty sure my Honda Magna can handle it :p

Here’s mine from today. I always take this road back after Mass. It’s damn beautiful.

52470415-C774-4-FD7-96-CA-FF6-E3-EB2966-D.jpg

FA610350-C271-4834-AE48-552-E947-CC680.jpg

I proposed to Melanie at Covent Garden in London in 2017. It was freezing and there was a guy playing James Taylor and singing. I asked him to sing one more song but he said he was too cold. I made a jewelry box before our trip and painted a marriage scarab beetle on it, inside was the ring and I carried it with me the entire trip until I found the right place to propose. Spoiler alert - she said yes. We ended up buying a copy of the Egyptian marriage scarab and it’s in our home. I got this little keychain version and it’s made it’s way onto backpacks, pouches, and now my bike. This is so my wife and stepson are always with me when I ride. I remember telling my stepson, then 8, that I was going to marry his mom and he was so stoked.

493-D12-E1-4-A2-F-4-A86-8-E48-7-CB8988-CE755.jpg

This cracks me up. The road is nice and manicured on the Monterey County side, and literally at the sign that says “San Benito County” it’s the apocalypse :laughing. One county, major tax revenue, the other, not so much.

7-F964-EE7-7-A29-415-C-9063-5-AA611863-F7-C.jpg

This guardrail is on the opposite side from where I come from but it’s pretty interesting. There isn’t this sort of garbage or graffiti on the Monterey County side. Also, sad to see how littered it is.

06-A5-CA6-F-4-B78-4057-B22-C-9-C431-A47-F548.jpg

5210-FC14-8941-475-F-9-D84-0-A27373-B8-DA2.jpg

Back