• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Photos of your bike on location

I got this little keychain version and it’s made it’s way onto backpacks, pouches, and now my bike. This is so my wife and stepson are always with me when I ride. I remember telling my stepson, then 8, that I was going to marry his mom and he was so stoked.

You have had several really touching posts lately.
This is one of them. :thumbup

I got these three bikes out for short casual rides and some pics/video Sunday. It was very important to me to park them in the exact same spot for the same photos for each one. I give myself a C on this effort because I didn’t mark where to stand. When I pulled up on the yellow one at the poppy field there was a couple taking poppy pictures and they were wondering WTF, why I was pulling up right next to them. So I explained to the dude and he got it. He even took one of the photos for me.

k0rR6rWh.jpg

zVfo0tCh.jpg

BXww2Y5h.jpg

6tzpzpjh.jpg

ABeMBJRh.jpg

wME0Fa2h.jpg

On my way home on the 500 I decided to take some photos of my new tow rig.

8n8xSthh.jpg

oRMMTo2h.jpg

PdvFs2ph.jpg

Actually, I went through downtown to make noise and show off. Then I saw this rig parked in the church parking lot and turned around and went back to take photos by it. Because it was a very similar color and a really cool custom rig. The owner was wandering around looking at the giant palm trees on the property, enjoying the weather, and then came over. He was a super nice guy from Iowa. We chatted for about a half-hour appreciating each other’s “toys”. I thought that it was an older truck but it is a 2016 model. He showed me photos on his phone where last night he went up to the Golden Gate Bridge to sightsee. He said “look at this, this is what it looks like with the cab open”. He’s got about a zillion lights on the thing (and a bunch of other add on trucker things and meaningful things to him strapped on it all over) and with the doors open there was this huge multicolored glow coming out of the inside. He also was a train engineer for 14 years but prefers driving the truck.

I was also testing out a go pro chest mount and wind slayer. Here is the result of that test with about 2 minutes on each bike.

[YOUTUBE]NWtJlcc4G54[/YOUTUBE]

Then I saw this rig parked in the church parking lot and turned around and went back to take photos by it. Because it was a very similar color and a really cool custom rig. The owner was wandering around looking at the giant palm trees on the property, enjoying the weather, and then came over. He was a super nice guy from Iowa. We chatted for about a half-hour appreciating each other’s “toys”.

Did you happen to ask what he does with that bumper grate thing on the front?

Did you happen to ask what he does with that bumper grate thing on the front?

That thing got my attention too.
I'm guessing the answer is some form of trucker bling.

Yes. He told me how much it costs but I don't remember. He said if he hit one cow it will do more damage than the cost of that massive cattle great bumper.

Yes. He told me how much it costs but I don't remember. He said if he hit one cow it will do more damage than the cost of that massive cattle great bumper.

I was thinking cattle. Just curious what the rate of cattle strikes in.

I know, for example, in Nevada, they mark the roads that you're in open range. Basically saying the cattle aren't fenced in. (At least it used to be like that.)

Dunno what it's like in other parts of the country. I don't know if it's an issue here in CA.

I plan on going out to New Idria soon. Pretty sure my Honda Magna can handle it :p

Panoche and New Idria are beautiful but dodging endless potholes coming at me at rapid successions required intense concentration, it felt like playing old arcade games dodging alien ships/bullets. I rode close to 100 miles roundtrip on those 2 roads and it wasn't relaxing like on smoother roads. In some spots it was smoother to ride on the dirt/gravel shoulder than on pavement. Sitting lower on a Magna you'll have a harder time seeing the potholes. Nice story on the proposal and marriage.

I was also testing out a go pro chest mount and wind slayer. Here is the result of that test with about 2 minutes on each bike.

Those POV videos are very nice, watching them felt like being out there.

Ward's Ferry Bridge last weekend

Nice shot!

Mt Hamilton - compared to last week - a lot greener, a lot less sandy toward the top

g4IsPib.jpg

PzTwj2e.jpg

San Felipe

AtRrL8G.jpg

jrCgd8l.jpg

Metcalf Rd

mV0ebjm.jpg

XS7NvzZ.jpg

Off Monterey Rd

mHZwK44.jpg

Metcalf Energy Center - a 605 megawatt combined cycle natural gas power plant. From the looks of those 2 buildings I thought it was a cement factory or something before I looked it up.

w31cop6.jpg

ftOf8hU.jpg

Last edited:
Panoche and New Idria are beautiful but dodging endless potholes coming at me at rapid successions required intense concentration, it felt like playing old arcade games dodging alien ships/bullets. I rode close to 100 miles roundtrip on those 2 roads and it wasn't relaxing like on smoother roads. In some spots it was smoother to ride on the dirt/gravel shoulder than on pavement. Sitting lower on a Magna you'll have a harder time seeing the potholes.

:thumbup

+1 on potholes in the Panoche Valley ... this water crossing on Panoche Road on the way to Jackass Pass and I-5 caught us by suprise, too:

picture.php

pic (we’re heading west) was before all the rain out there this past Friday ... :ride

I was thinking cattle. Just curious what the rate of cattle strikes in.

I know, for example, in Nevada, they mark the roads that you're in open range. Basically saying the cattle aren't fenced in. (At least it used to be like that.)

Dunno what it's like in other parts of the country. I don't know if it's an issue here in CA.

It can be an issue on Mines Road :rolleyes

[YOUTUBE]v2DYVtFENUE[/YOUTUBE]

Those POV videos are very nice, watching them felt like being out there.

Mt Hamilton - compared to last week - a lot greener, a lot less sandy toward the top

g4IsPib.jpg

Thanks for the compliment.

And, can you get just a little closer to the edge of the giant cliff please?:wow

Great photos as usual!!!:thumbup

Such a typical big bike vs small bike dilemma - the 690 is better when the going gets rough, but returning home after sundown on Hwy 1 freezing my ass off I was wishing for the big windscreen and heated grips of the GS the whole time.

Tassajara Rd

The front side (uphill) is easy, mostly graded, on par with Summit Rd

AiBxMv6.jpg

y3nIErG.jpg

S9IyX2u.jpg

Hmmm... snow

9PZdSO0.jpg

Last edited:
Tassajara Rd

The back side (downhill toward the Zen Center) has some steeper sections with loose rocks. Would've been less comfortable for me on a bigger bike like the GS.

xH2mZx9.jpg

bMraJ1X.jpg

eUlY5c1.jpg

r5mfAFp.jpg

sFXXwB3.jpg

r4oQyL1.jpg

GiiAvwx.jpg

16 miles in from Cachagua Rd, almost reached the Zen Center but I went no further

jWMWWRQ.jpg

Last edited:
Still on Tassajara Rd, climbing back out from the Zen Center

HR3C5rK.jpg

68v5M5F.jpg

Cachagua Rd

AgFPsDh.jpg

c9MOc9F.jpg

gENrcfq.jpg

You could always go the W.H.O.R.E. route, Gary. That is: We Haul Our Rides Everywhere. :cool

Trailer/haul the 690 to where you want to ride and enjoy the warm and comfortable truck cab on the way to and from! :thumbup :laughing

Looks like the 1st part is easily doable on the GS provided the ration between your and the bike's height match (my seat is tall, but so am I). The second part should be doable, I once did the main road through Knoxville on mine (~15mi) on dual sport tires, but I decided not to push my luck again. It was a little challenging.

Vintage meets vintage. Ran into an aquaintance on his nicely modded FJ1200.
I think the FJ's looks held up well as time goes on.
FJ1200.jpg

Back