• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Photos of your bike on location

San Antonio Valley Rd

2bKqShf.jpg

Kincaid Rd. Chip sealed surface was still pretty loose so I didn't go far.

k6fzceA.jpg

Y3fftVU.jpg

Old Coast Rd

Attachments

• DECE4F4B-095A-4AC1-85B0-D965CB37E81F.jpg
    DECE4F4B-095A-4AC1-85B0-D965CB37E81F.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 17
More old coast rd

Attachments

• 8103AB47-26CA-425B-86EF-3BC1DF310582.jpg
    8103AB47-26CA-425B-86EF-3BC1DF310582.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 19
  • F90F5E29-5BC3-475A-B6B5-91381DF8C4B4.jpg
    F90F5E29-5BC3-475A-B6B5-91381DF8C4B4.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 21
A distraction on the way to Virginia City from the south.

LX4J2X5.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Last edited:
The local fish hatchery in Spearfish, 125th anniversary party coming up.
All down in the city park about 6 blocks long, including ball fields, RV park, stage, shaded banquet seating, and a year round creek.
They used rail cars to transport fish in buckets before roads got them there with trucks. All free but the fish food sold to tourists.
It takes about a year for the fry to grow to 8/10" for release, they are kept in the covered raceways by size.
The underwater viewing was a live pix, while they were fed.

Attachments

• IMG_3529.jpg
    IMG_3529.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3528.jpg
    IMG_3528.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3526.jpg
    IMG_3526.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 18
IDBDR Day 1 - Pine to Lowman

Gotta get to the route first, which is 71 miles away on the highway or you can go 27 miles and ride other dirt roads to get there slightly further along the route. That's how we did it at only about half an hour penalty.

On the way to Pine via Prairie. Looking down at the South Fork of the Boise River.
V6dDiaw.jpg

Some good views along the trail.
Ulw1rJR.jpg

Middle Fork of the Boise River.
xl96MTk.jpg

North Fork of the Boise River. The IDBDR takes you to all of them.
kv44STZ.jpg

Lots of high places on the route. Some steep roads following mountainsides in places.
aUxFB5H.jpg

Made it to the Airbnb on a steep hillside above Lowman. Want electricity? Turn on the generator. Want a hot shower? Turn on the propane heater. Considering the alternatives in Lowman, this worked out well.
js1hJ6H.jpg

IDBDR Day 2 - Lowman to Yellow Pine, then McCall

In which we practice picking up dropped bikes and go up and down mountains.

The only gas available in Lowman. One pump that takes credit cards. Nobody around running things.
V4Sk6ef.jpg

Lots of steep winding trails like this one between Lowman and Yellow Pine.
MKRZRNi.jpg

Observing the sunrise while waiting for my riding companion. Eventually went back to check and he had dropped his bike and couldn't pick it back up.
cXc7EOK.jpg

Gave the KTM a bath here. There were only two water crossings on our entire route and I had problems at both of them. At least it started immediately after we picked it up. I guess the 790R is afraid of water or something. Had wet feet the entire rest of the day. :mad
7MOKydV.jpg

Some nice high meadows along the route further to the north.
bbeNTy7.jpg

Made it to Yellow Pine. Had lunch, then headed off to McCall and then 100 miles of paved highway to get back home.
EhjGuoL.jpg

Lick Creek Road. Or as the locals say it: "lick crick". Some beautiful views heading up that canyon.
ZL9jPaD.jpg

Good to see blue sky in Idaho again.
I got a few days a week blue sky, seems you have been stuck with smoke forever.
Was also curious about slab time between dirt roads, explained.

Was also curious about slab time between dirt roads, explained.
Not sure if that's a question. Most paved roads were between where I live and where the section of the IDBDR that we rode started and ended. There is about eight miles of pavement between Pine and Featherville and five or six near Lowman. Pretty much all of the rest of it is dirt. I figure between 200 and 300 miles of dirt for this trip. Total miles for the whole thing was around 470.

Gave the KTM a bath here. There were only two water crossings on our entire route and I had problems at both of them. At least it started immediately after we picked it up. I guess the 790R is afraid of water or something. Had wet feet the entire rest of the day. :mad

Water always makes a pretty shot. What caused the problem with the water crossings, and how would you do it differently?

Rented from Riders-Share. This bike was $27k OTD!!! :wtf

Surprised to see Pinehurst closed; rode thru it anyway.

KtdoBZd.jpg

The reason for the closure.

CHHU5lK.jpg

Palomeras Rd

XIzITjU.jpg

w6fUygb.jpg

Sunol. Cold War era Soviet atomic powered train?

IIyKrR1.jpg

3RRKlUg.jpg

Last edited:
Back