• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Photos of your bike on location

Water always makes a pretty shot. What caused the problem with the water crossings, and how would you do it differently?
After getting a better look at it, if I had stayed closer to the outlet I would have made it through just fine. Instead, I dropped into a deeper part with a few big rocks down there. Not sure exactly what caused the problem, though. I was stopped and falling over before I knew it.

Sunol. Cold War era Soviet atomic powered train?

IIyKrR1.jpg

3RRKlUg.jpg

This bike looks better in the "real world" than the press photo, still not sure of the cyclops light, though.

That train is amazing. Old EMD E-Unit. Common on passenger trains. One of my more favored locomotives.

The cornering light lit up tight turns real well. It was thrilling to be able to see into the corners to carve up Calaveras-Felter-Sierra last night - a totally new experience.

Pole Line Rd

cmzrPWw.jpg

8jD2zwi.jpg

Corralitos

ic3tZHo.jpg

Top of Jamison Creek Rd. Nice to see the hills turned green.

V3ibkDq.jpg

BihzZx9.jpg

Summit Rd

VCcMRpZ.jpg

Tunitas Creek Rd. I turned away from Hwy 1 to escape the rain, but it was wet on Skyline and 92 too.

VWsqN89.jpg

A target rich environment for photos

Historic 16th Street Train Station, next to a bunch of new condos. There are more pics of this place on Google. Wish I could sneak in there for a better look.

DgzSxBO.jpg

I'm in awe of people who can paint this kind of stuff. The more I stared at it the more details I saw. Notice the reflection of the crown at the top of the skull, the multiple reflections of a "person" on the right side, and the reflection of the flame? How do they visualize the irregular three-dimensional reflections of light, and have the ability to put it down with paint and make it look shiny like this?

QM3VGwQ.jpg

I love this kind of weird house-in-the-sky building. It'd be cool to have a restaurant up there and ride up on the conveyor belt.

YXzEy8k.jpg

Just need to add a mean black cat and a couple of scary jack-o-lanterns - plenty of room in the lower left corner.

rwsslAA.jpg

Last edited:
picture.php

dual sporting today with inappropriate bikes, south of Long Barn (FS Road N301/N307) … we wound up at Hwy 120 near Buck Meadow. :ride

^^^
Great stuff as always, John. That looks fun! :ride
Your bike looks envious sitting there in the backround.

^^^
Great stuff as always, John. That looks fun! :ride
Your bike looks envious sitting there in the backround.

:thumbup

it got a workout, today … the question is, would Gary856 buy a H-D Pan Am, or even rent one again?

one more pic from today, on the way back to Hwy 108 and Long Barn:

picture.php

Ward’s Ferry Bridge, BARF-Photos-of-your-bike-and-graffiti inspired … :laughing:ride

would Gary856 buy a H-D Pan Am, or even rent one again?

No and no.

The first no is because I can't fathom paying that much for a bike, no matter how great it is. I was actually a little worried each time I parked it on uneven ground, thinking about its price tag.

The second no is because my curiosity has been satisfied. It's like going to an expensive fancy restaurant - once is enough for the experience. Day to day I'm just as happy riding my $4k KTM 950SM.

The Pam Am was awesome - it felt like a human-sized GS (handling-wise) with a KTM engine (power-wise). It'd make a great police pursuit bike. I felt confident with its handling right away, so I pushed it pretty hard in and out of tight turns. The bike felt totally composed, like it had a lot more to give. It felt easier to ride harder than any of my own bikes. The suspension could be better, though. Sport mode was harsh on sharp bumps; Balanced mode was softer like a GS, but a little too floaty.

It was a small thing but I hated the kickstand. It was too long. You could barely get it down with the bike vertical on level ground. If the ground was just slightly higher on the left side, you'd have to lean the bike away past vertical to get the kickstand down; not reassuring when the footing was loose. It also didn't go forward far enough and seemed easy to roll off, and then the bike sunk/leaned into the kickstand a lot. It was a little nerve racking if the kickstand would lock and hold up the bike or not. It bugged me all day, then it finally dawned on me - with adaptive ride height, the kickstand had to be long enough at the high ride height, and that made it a little too long at the low ride height. Oh well...

Ward’s Ferry Bridge, BARF-Photos-of-your-bike-and-graffiti inspired … :laughing:ride

Now that bridge looks too red. Need more yellow and neon blue/purple to balance it out.

Last edited:
No and no ...

The Pam Am was awesome - it felt like a human-sized GS (handling-wise) with a KTM engine (power-wise).

Now that bridge looks too red. Need more yellow and neon blue/purple to balance it out.

great Pan Am review! one thing I appreciate about this thread is how you are not afraid to rent cool bikes. looking forward to hearing about what you think of the GS.

there was a nice H-D lady at the bridge with a couple yellow/neon blue spray paint cans while we were there. told her she missed a spot. a box truck passed while we were chatting, and she wanted me to help tag it as it rolled slowly by (it was already tagged some), but I chickened out. :laughing

awesome FJ-09! :ride

moar FJ-09:

picture.php

pup dog on the road again in Knight’s Ferry, CA.
know my BARF Virginia City peeps worry about him. :party

Bill's Birthday Ride.

picture.php

Attachments

• Library - 1 of 1 (1).jpg
    Library - 1 of 1 (1).jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

great Pan Am review! one thing I appreciate about this thread is how you are not afraid to rent cool bikes. looking forward to hearing about what you think of the GS.

there was a nice H-D lady at the bridge with a couple yellow/neon blue spray paint cans while we were there. told her she missed a spot. a box truck passed while we were chatting, and she wanted me to help tag it as it rolled slowly by (it was already tagged some), but I chickened out. :laughing

awesome FJ-09! :ride

moar FJ-09:

picture.php

pup dog on the road again in Knight’s Ferry, CA.
know my BARF Virginia City peeps worry about him. :party

We even worry about his parents!

Eagleson, Pine Creek attempt, Hawley Mountain

Heading up the mountain from 8th Street above Boise toward Boise Ridge Road.
xyBdBOS.jpg

At the other end of Eagleson (shown heading away from us), which crosses the mountain. It's a rather tricky road in places.
anmr5pC.jpg

The plan at this point was to head back up to Boise Ridge on Pine Creek. A couple of miles in we met construction people who explained that there was a road grader working on the road. The last time I went through some freshly graded dirt I hated it, so we turned around and found a different route.

Looking east on the way up to Hawley Mountain. The tractor tracks you can see were from a big tree trimmer that let us by first chance it had.
pmJ5IaB.jpg

The (abandoned) lookout on top of Hawley Mountain. Great views in all directions.
ZDJYCr8.jpg

Looking west on the way back down.
lmsC6xv.jpg

Trying to figure out why my bike died just 3 miles from home. Hauled it home in a trailer. Thanks to Mike, my riding buddy, for coming back with a truck and trailer to get me home. Looking forward to the "fun" of diagnosing whatever electrical issue it has. At least it wasn't hot.
xsZeqbu.jpg

Almaden Ave at W Virginia St. They propose to turn this 0.47 acre lot into 99 new apartments; seems like an improvement.

Ku5okvO.jpg

yHz4rzV.jpg

yGZQ9kr.jpg

Sunol

Along Railroad Rd. I had wanted to go further to see the parked trains, but this gravel path got narrower and I felt uneasy to continue along a live track.

ncFKfhd.jpg

MFHsr6b.jpg

Verona Rd

NMsWyHx.jpg

Last edited:
Did a little road trip to Yosemite > Kernville and then back to SF over the course of Saturday - Monday this past weekend. Weather was pretty coorperative aside from Sequoia National Forest and the adjacent park going up in flames. I wish I'd stopped on the way back from the Ancient Bristlecone forest to take photos of the smoke, it wasn't a plume so much as a flow eastward up and over the sierras. Sherman Pass was closed due to the fire, so I'll have to wait to ride that road another time.

A few shots from Yosemite:

AM-JKLW-it8YEkQ2i-GcE96cikT_egpaSD1_7VNyJ6WUsXw-BP2oREyd4RNq1hK0YXcwOSurzjlC2UiHz4YjUbludXt_65YHHw2r2yjD14il6uCJMdxqqzABHw6ENWshYbgNHyNsmhDDtDYwbN1pwyfcH_YXbg=w639-no

Given the fires elsewhere the air was surprisingly clear on Sunday, big Multi's and their child.

AM-JKLV2ggdrUTmu4b2SVRqaOq41uSl8Q3CaVFFWz80Ho6c1RPC0r_b5TqhVylkKOw2dcsJ8P6KRLBwEI4Sbw1uJRYzd7N_5lp0TqzUqSsYhOVhIznLA5SKZo9HJ4PXHmKIcKD_NfBw5Q6nDnORuFni584ZF9g=w936-no

Eastern side of the park

AM-JKLU1VZ-p8T4XhaE1cPP6NsnydpHRjSg-klXJmpJQC0bd1trsOuqG9jaPQ5WyuGjNVBIY7jYsf_PqlVHB5ahHf6uW2JHRxopSH5HZMUdXsTZoV9RTLBe_ZYOvgJOXVb58iu9vOwy5kEgrayWlGqukk5jrDw=w936-no

Kennedy Meadows Road (just off Sherman Pass, near the general store, where I found out the road was closed ahead). Wish I'd had an N95 mask to stuff under the helmet, smoke was heavy and had been even worse down on 395

AM-JKLU-GqEmKnxRRkNfH-JUJQT3fB2-6ppKUsDUxdNVIoWfpG6UglX0yznYoeUJRsqVZgzMEwWFj_KFfKXe6c2H_CSDhcBdRHda59NWyWmzfushQ9OigI0GaB7KWkJOesLgR5WiXzZgKp-Ipmya4s13uU4Q6g=w936-no

Highway 25 near Pinnacles. Due to some concerns about a little play in the rear hub I'd opted for the most direct non-hoghway route home. I hadn't done 190 in years and it was really fun (fresh pavement and no traffic on a Monday. 25 of course always delivers. I may have decided the hub wasn't getting any worse as this point and picked up the pace a bit.

AM-JKLUocnUbEgTtY5PETtaoyyYam42g-fkNnn3n7YMoJTIFYRpZJD7A1gw6M93OybyHIfdGZLpMLzD3Mez7NF1iN6dgaQk_dhL39fCiawuF-twTiVMSXdEVb91puFaY2-svSp-rSMqJVbndllSdSMBs2DKH8g=w936-no

Double whammy there. You can't take a bad picture in Yosemite, and you can't take a bad picture of a Motard.

Thanks, it's a good looking ride for sure, and fun to boot, which is why I am willing to put up with all of it's Italian "character".

Back