• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Photos of your bike on location

picture.php

if you squint, you can just make out Sutter Buttes …. :ride

Gorgeous shot John!

convert to → tubeless

So detailed!

First impression of the V-Strom 650 was so so, but the more I rode it the more I liked it. The handling and suspension are pretty good to handle PageMill-Alpine. It rides and sounds a lot like my '08 R1200GS. Headlights throw a broad pattern - great to see into corners when the bike's leaned over.

Altamont Rd

HekJ2Dv.jpg

Portola State Park Rd

MmTcFnS.jpg

Stage Rd

5gC1xmS.jpg

y9nhMx6.jpg

As I reached Alice's after dark from the coast side, 6 sport bikes came up on 84 (from Woodside) and turned left onto Skyline toward 9. I followed them to 9. It was cool to see 6 tail lights snaked along in front of me, each a few bike lengths apart.

Last edited:
As I reached Alice's after dark from the coast side, 6 sport bikes came up on 84 (from Woodside) and turned left onto Skyline toward 9. I followed them to 9. It was cool to see 6 tail lights snaked along in front of me, each a few bike lengths apart.

Bikes at night are amazing. We got to cross Tioga once at night, and having nothing but you, your headlight, a twisting road, and a vast expanse of Nothing. It's humbling.

They were so excited to see each other, like besties

Xd1v2Phh.jpg

Looks like one of them is a little green with envy, or maybe it took the turns too fast this time.

Can't get over how much this bike rides and sounds like a R1150GS in low-mid speed, but without the physical bulk and seems faster when revved up. I do wish it had more torque down low - a Tenere 700 "Adventure" with 19/17 inch wheels would be interesting.

Alamitos Rd

j09uavR.jpg

cbsUqNZ.jpg

EQHUk1m.jpg

Did you buy another bike Gary, or did you rent that 'strom?

I rented the V-Strom 650 to see what the "the Wee's the best" crowd's been smoking, but found the bike to be very competent, so they're not wrong in the same way that calling a Corolla the best car ever made is not wrong. Seriously, considering the price. Its best trait is the very stable handling in the turns which feels a lot like a BMW GS boxer, great for rough roads. The suspension is pretty decent, the power adequate but not exciting. I did over cook a tight right turn early on 'cause the brakes aren't as strong as what I'm used to, but once I've adjusted my control timing it was fun to ride, the same way I enjoy driving my lowly but trusty Corolla derived Toyota Matrix.

uF1Jm8f.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful sunrise this morning.

Attachments

• 20211005_122146.jpg
    20211005_122146.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 28
I just came across the "Barfies 2020-2021" thread from budman this week. Thanks all for the recognition and I'm glad to see many enjoying this photo thread. Snapping a few pictures per ride certainly doesn't feel like work to me.

Coyote Creek Lagoon Trail

NZtwEoF.jpg

Tri City Recycling and Disposal - closed to the public!

ipc0jAy.jpg

dizBp87.jpg

GhXJSGO.jpg

5nYb0ag.jpg

8gjXw6A.jpg

Last edited:
Glendora Ridge Road

Still getting my legs under me on this thing.

Glendora Ridge Road is pretty notorious around here, y'all may have heard of it from several years ago when a bike and truck decided to meet with bad consequences.

It's an offshoot of the perhaps more famous Glendora Mountain Road. It connects GMR with Mt. Baldy.

It's been a long time since I've been on this road, and I didn't travel on it much back in the day. It's one of those great So Cal roads that make you boggle "why was it ever built in the first place".

This has to be the scariest road in So Cal.

Generously, I think it's 1 1/2 lanes wide. It rides along a very steep, and very deep drop off with little more than sun dried chaparral as faux safety rails. The road surface itself, though, is quite good.

There are plenty of turnouts, though I think they're actually more berms, to be honest.

When riding you want to be conscious of staying on the very outer or very inside of the turns. Specifically because that guy in the RAM 2500 may well NOT be doing that when coming around the plethora of blind corners on this road. I encountered a truck going the other way, he took up a lot of lane. There's so little margin for error on this road. There's actually a sign at the start that says something like "NO RECKLESS DRIVING. ARREST AND IMPOUNDMENT." Sure, perhaps after they drag your vehicle up a few hundred feet out of the canyon.

Enhanced by bits of gravel, suicidal squirrels, and a lovely 18" boulder in the lane, I found this flat, wide turnout at about 6 miles and turned back. You can see in the back the road carved in to the side of the mountain to get a glimpse of the drop off. I'd like to say that the view was spectacular, save I didn't look at it. You know what they say about where you're looking while riding a motorcycle. Eyes on the road 100% here.

Someday I'm sure I'll go back and ride the entire thing.

Attachments

• IMG_3358_small.jpg
    IMG_3358_small.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 16
Up on the ridge in Laytonville on my way back from the NBMC Dual Sport ride.

Attachments

• IMG_8096.JPG
    IMG_8096.JPG
    158.9 KB · Views: 9
Back