• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Photos of your bike on location

Oh, those last pics are sad!:(

Never a good thing to see a bike getting towed away!

The worst thing about AAA is they couldn't give me an ETA, only that their primary source couldn't tow motorcycle until the next morning, and they were working on a back up source. I didn't know if I was standing there for over 2.5 hours for nothing and if I should just call Lyft home and leave the bike there. When the flatbed actually showed up it was a great relief.

Next weekend, I'm going to get over to Metcalf and jam around, I also want to try Snake Trail with it. It's a very easy OHV park, and I'll give that a go on those tires before exploring the trails at Hollister.

No crash bars before going to Metcalf? You must be a damn good dirt rider if you consider Metcalf very easy on a big adventure bike with dual-sport tires.

I've never been a fan of tank bags because of ergonomics, but with this bike, it's just fine. I have that little magnetic one, but that will be replaced by the large Tusk bag. I don't think the magnetic one would stay on when going off road, though.

I just ordered an iPhone 13 Pro and waiting until that comes to get a Quad Lock phone case (I already have the mount). The quad lock is the best phone mount I've ever used.

With the magnetic one I used have, unless you were carrying cinder blocks in it, it wasn't going anywhere.

For community I have a bungeed tail bag that I'd take in the office with me. It was very nice. I never bothered to get a tank bag for that bike (and actually borrowed my friends) except for tours, mostly for the map pocket as much as anything.

I find the TFT display on my bike simply daunting. I should say I find the controllers that way. It's just way to fiddly to bother with while riding, takes far too much attention. If I have to stop to do something, I may as well yank the thing out and deal with it. This new hi tech world is just a bit overwhelming for me right now. I have a comm system in the helmet. My past 3 rides, 2 of them the battery in it died. The other one I simply forgot to turn it on at all.

Then there's the volume issues with the iPhone. The music is at a different volume than the phone which is at a different volume than the headset. Again, all the more fiddly. Not sure I'm quite getting quite the value out of it.

My after church Sunday jaunt to San Juan Bautista. I love this bike - it truly is my dream bike and it's everything I've wanted in a motorcycle. I'm not even going to remove the warning stickers.

Extremely nimble in tight twisties and finally geting used to the geometry. Today I got to feel the power of traction control, and laughed maniacally for 2 miles. Also, I got to loft the front wheel a few times today.

My two criticisms, however, is 1) the tall windscreen (which was replaced today with a short Givi one). Jimmy Buffet'ting all day and so tall I look through it instead of over it and it's hard to judge turns; 2) all the bells and whistles do take awhile to get used to navigating.

I still love this bike. My wife bought this for me and nobody has ever done anything that nice for me before, like I said earlier.

I'll be installing the Givi Dolomiti 46L top box and a Tusk Enduro Tank bag. Next weekend, I'm going to get over to Metcalf and jam around, I also want to try Snake Trail with it. It's a very easy OHV park, and I'll give that a go on those tires before exploring the trails at Hollister.

Congratulation! Beautiful Africa Twin.

No crash bars before going to Metcalf? You must be a damn good dirt rider if you consider Metcalf very easy on a big adventure bike with dual-sport tires.

Outside of the MX track, I consider Metcalf as a noobie OHV park. I used to do it all the time on my gigantic KLR650 with a 5 gallon tank. We used to ride Metcalf on regular street tires all the time on the Supermoto's :ride

I don't know if you recall the SMHooligan rides and trackdays I used to put on in the mid 2000's (like 05'-'09). We did all kinds of dumb stuff. It's how I learned that Supermotos can go up and down stairs pretty well. :laughing

I don't know if you recall the SMHooligan rides and trackdays I used to put on in the mid 2000's (like 05'-'09). We did all kinds of dumb stuff. It's how I learned that Supermotos can go up and down stairs pretty well. :laughing

:laughing:thumbup

Man that Africa Twin has been my dream bike for a while. Happy for you man...

I figured since I chimed in I'd post a pic of my FZ1. I stripped her naked. Got a 2012 R1 front end in the works...:thumbup

qXj89FR.jpg

In a new waterfront town?

You always have to check on the boat ramp.

Today's special, commercial fishing boat.

Attachments

• IMG_3700.jpg
    IMG_3700.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3703.jpg
    IMG_3703.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 8
I've shown this spot before, but didn't tell.

This spot is the hiking access to the only operating nuke plant in Ca.
About three miles for the overlook.

Glow much?:rolleyes

Attachments

• IMG_3677.jpg
    IMG_3677.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Fun fact: Diablo Canyon security doesn't appreciate randos wandering into their property.

:laughing:thumbup

Man that Africa Twin has been my dream bike for a while. Happy for you man...

I figured since I chimed in I'd post a pic of my FZ1. I stripped her naked. Got a 2012 R1 front end in the works...:thumbup

qXj89FR.jpg

This is a stunning photo! :thumbup

Congrats on the new Africa Twin, SVsick50! It's beautiful! And congrats on your good choice of wives, too :laughing I bought my husband a KTM 950 ADV for our 20th wedding anniversary but it was used :teeth

BadWifeChick

Map Rock Road or Bust

Main goal today: get the odometer past 10,000 miles so that I'll be telling the truth when I say that I ride this bike 5000 miles a year. The 2-year anniversary of buying it is coming up. Secondary goal, ride the twisties along the Snake River on Map Rock Road.

Typical view south of Boise.
2TIrpkX.jpg

So much for Map Rock Road. The sign said "Bridge Out", but I think it was just a drainage culvert. In any case, this is as far as I'm going on this road.
NqbIQyW.jpg

Fine, let's go find another twisty road in the area. How about Reynolds Creek Road, it doesn't go very far, but most of it isn't very straight.
Olo6Hq9.jpg

More rocky scenery on Reynolds Creek Rd.
t5OhJ5J.jpg

Hemingway Butte Trailhead - large OHV area. Most of the traffic on Reynolds Creek stops there, leaving the "good part" mostly free of traffic.
TXoBfxT.jpg

Lots of cattle out this way. Lots of places like this. I'll probably have the residual smell in my nose for the rest of the day. :(
p5p0Ppp.jpg

It was about 72 degrees today. We won't have too many more days like this. So...

The Junction

oI6T9bf.jpg

Lick Observatory. Rode up with my neighbor Jimmy Africa Twin and Jeff FJR from Tracy. Jimmy went down the San Jose side. Jeff and I rode back to The Junction.

mqPhgUe.jpg

7HMOzDT.jpg

The Junction for a rest stop.

iJIgx1d.jpg

Mines Road

0SvmcWx.jpg

kvMnZl3.jpg

XglZViX.jpg

Jeff FJR from Tracy.

Wondering if that was the black FJR that I rode along with from the Junction to the stop sign near Livermore.

Mt Hamilton

fSH45dG.jpg

Sunol Regional Wilderness

raEExZ4.jpg

bU1H3ny.jpg

This Bridgestone T31 is about done at almost 4,600 miles, 38 psi. Traction is still good.

gz9Kh19.jpg

Up in the Knoxville OHV area. Perfect conditions!
GOXaL3m.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
Yt0Fy8K.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Last edited:
One of yesterday's stops at the top of Blood Mountain - took awhile to warm up, but was a fun afternoon. Getting chilly up in the mountains here, won't be able to get up there too much longer before the snows start. :(

Attachments

• 258177137_10104275609731216_4272705533022636945_n.jpg
    258177137_10104275609731216_4272705533022636945_n.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 5
A little romp up the coast, one tank of gas, turn back south @ halfway, stop at more turnouts.
County line sign, a challenge ?

"Short" cut to the 101?
Maybe 1/1/22, as posted

Attachments

• IMG_3705.jpg
    IMG_3705.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3710.jpg
    IMG_3710.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 7
Something new to me from Cal-Trans, hydro seeding pampas grass.
Must have used helicopters to get to the exposed hillsides along the slide area.

Some seen here with the big pine.

And, posted gas prices in Gorda, $7.60, $8.00, $8.50,

My first time south on 1, I had to stop here for gas, back in the 70's on my Beemer, in the $4. range

Attachments

• IMG_3711.jpg
    IMG_3711.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3713.jpg
    IMG_3713.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Back