• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Photos of your bike on location

Had a major oh shit moment with a flat (rear) on the last rally. Left a Marc Marquez stripy through a corner.

I have had a few minutes to process it at this point.

Now it is scary and I am glad to be in One piece.

I don't see any damage on the rim. Luckily, that rock isn't sharp edged. From the scratches on it it appeared to have been run over multiple times before I hit it.

The zip tie on the fork leg shows I used up all the travel.

FNFC9Q2.jpg

I checked if the rock left a mark on the front tire and took this shot. At first I thought these wear marks resulted from the rock impact, but looking closely the wear is somewhat circular and across the the width of the tire, so I think these came from the tire twisting against pavement during the near tank slappers. The width of the wear marks starts narrow and concave at the bottom (the leading edge of forward rotation), gets wider and circular in the middle, then tapered off toward the top and appears convex. This seems to correlate with the degree of bars rotation - started off less violently, grew rapidly to full intensity and then tapered off, but I can't figure out why the wear change from concave to convex. If the speed is known (I'm estimating 35-40 mph at impact, but I can't be sure until I do another run to see how fast I typically go there), we can calculate the duration of this event based on the length of the wear marks. Isn't tire reading fun?

rAZSDzJ.jpg

Last edited:
I'm assuming your bike came with a steering damper?

Tank slappers suuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Thankfully I've never been down due to one but they sure get your attention.

At the time the TL1000S had no steering damper and that crap rotary rear shock.

Not nearly as bad as this tank slapper earlier this year at Daytona though; how Rispoli saved it is a mystery.

About 20 seconds in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksjdv9bXuGU

Last edited:
^ My bike's the standard model - no steering damper, no electronic suspension.

Saw this at Advanced Cycle Service

MpwQo0A.jpg

Clayton Rd

4w4yLaG.jpg

H2Ut6Rr.jpg

Mt Hamilton. I passed a car stopped in the middle of the road then saw this guy, which was why the car stopped there, I assume. I thought I ran over its tail, but I didn't see any flat spot on its body.

MxUAYHx.jpg

wWdsyvc.jpg

I was going for 140 miles before stopping for gas, but the tank ran dry at 133.3 mi, right across the street from this gas station. If you want to run out of gas this is the way to do it.

NsIIhQD.jpg

^ My bike's the standard model - no steering damper, no electronic suspension.

Saw this at Advanced Cycle Service

MpwQo0A.jpg

I saw that one yesterday at ACS, even though I am not a Ducati person it certainly caught my attention.

Altamont Pass Road

Is320mh.jpg

Dyer Road (another "moostroke" photo)

6JNqwgq.jpg

oxiRYLX.jpg

50xBvTg.jpg

The other side of the Altamont by 580

jXp1P66.jpg

Patterson Pass Road

lVXORDi.jpg

Flynn Road

FSjO3CL.jpg

Flynn Road from 2016 with my boy

E1W0SS3.jpg

av66444.jpg

9MdAyaF.jpg

Last edited:
When it comes to photos with abandon cars Gary ownz it! :thumbup

Snake pics too. :teeth

Old Coast Rd.

Attachments

• 396B044A-5EA5-47AB-8166-1A17DF641718.jpg
    396B044A-5EA5-47AB-8166-1A17DF641718.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 855B5F04-A7B1-4EBF-B6CF-B6BE2782D1E0.jpg
    855B5F04-A7B1-4EBF-B6CF-B6BE2782D1E0.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 2
Got 10,900 miles out of this Avon Trailrider front on my GS and, as worn out as it was, the bike still handled fine. This mileage is incredible because I only got 5,138 miles out of a Tourance front before, less than half compared to the Trailrider. I'd buy the Trailrider again but they became scarce and expensive (over $180 when I last checked), so I decided to give the Dunlop Trailmax Mission a try.

h0dlDZu.jpg

Testing out the Mission front tire on Mt Hamilton Rd. Not sure if I was imagining it, but the Mission front tire felt noticeably heavier. It cornered fine.

L3OZg9o.jpg

When it comes to photos with abandon cars Gary ownz it! :thumbup

Snake pics too. :teeth

Yep. A few more shots of abandoned cars to prove your point. Don't know how many share my fascination with abandoned stuff (cars, buildings, etc.) but this is Omakase - chef's choice.

sqitMYL.jpg

S4BJBCf.jpg

4 kids on dirt bikes in the background. Even saw a guy on a scooter there. A dirt bike is what I need to explore more here 'cause I'm not comfortable on my 690 with the steeper stuff off the main road.

L2DnREP.jpg

And that snake. To make sure he wouldn't get run over, I found a broken metal sign, used it to scoop up the snake, dumped it over the downhill side, and watched it slithered away. It coiled and struck at the metal sign a couple of times. Let me know if anyone knows what kind of snake this is.

4Q4MvMY.jpg

Last edited:
Bear Valley Road or Bust

Didn't make it to the ultimate goal due to snow drifts blocking the roads at higher elevations.

Rest stop one of about six or seven. I didn't know about this spot before, but the other guys like to stop here because there is an Osprey nest at the top of a dead tree. You can see the head of one peeking over the top in the smaller photo (sorry that my iPhone doesn't have an actual zoom feature).
vrruRIL.jpg

nrNvQzC.jpg

Heading down Alder Creek Road towards Lowman. Once again, with a group I often forget to stop for photos. Had to get one of this view.
yCyTAbc.jpg

Looking back up the road at the same spot.
XO09vr4.jpg

It's not all lush green forests in Idaho. It feels like about one third of it shows evidence of past forest fires. Bear Valley Road headed north out of Lowman.
WMp6ThR.jpg

That Zion shot is spectacular!

Buddy convinced me to ride dual sports down to Metcalf yesterday for some unemployment dirt. It was really nice having the place to ourselves mostly so fewer people saw how slow I am. We did all the blues.

AJFCJaVfpBuzBxaAp_VycUumhiRIn1YHywaQFtCbIroUgJMliB_4qtREcINgIl_KSGZI1i-MDcfx3UmwLteDSsr9BC8lyaizedh2FO2Bc6jN7uX3s0pStwuQb6YPdCSbe3aD45QMYYrQ43qrmCjwo1bmMeo1BA=w1098-no

Working my way up out of Cottonwood, towards Sedona, , ,

Smoke on the skyline, teasing a lightening strike into a controlled burn, it takes off with the afternoon breezes, every day. Off toward Payson.

Lime over sand, stone, layers from a huge ancient sea bed.

Attachments

• IMG_5139.jpg
    IMG_5139.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5143.jpg
    IMG_5143.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5154.jpg
    IMG_5154.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 2
Back