Photos of your bike on location

The Desert X would be a nice one-bike replacement for both my R1250GS and Multistrada. It's just as stable as the GS, but feels way lighter, the engine feels livelier (and stronger, even though it's not on paper), shifts way better - much more fun to ride. The GS wins only if you ride long distance, carry a pillion or heavy load.

When I rode the Tuareg last week I thought it was great, but wouldn't hurt to have a bit more power. Well, the Desert X has plenty more, looks better, more tech, more panache, (but a little taller, weighs more and more expensive); worth the extra $ overall. Both the Tuareg and Desert X have surprisingly great on road handling with their 21" front wheel and Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR which I love. They both handle rough twisty roads great, like big supermotos, the suspension soaks up all the bumps and stays in control, feels like they have unlimited traction.

Two problems I noticed with the Desert X - wind buffeting is bad at freeway speed, and the low beam (the 2 "ring" lights) is ridiculously weak in the dark; no choice but to ride with high beam on the whole time at night.

Tej0bmw.jpg

uVpB5qe.jpg

Last edited:
A grand ride this morning (too busy riding to take pics), followed by the first bath in well over a year (its, not mine)....

picture.php

Last edited:
...and the low beam (the 2 "ring" lights) is ridiculously weak in the dark; no choice but to ride with high beam on the whole time at night.
Not the first Ducati to have that issue. The ST2 had a horrible low beam. A hand-held flashlight would likely produce better light than that light. The high beam worked, though.

Not the first Ducati to have that issue. The ST2 had a horrible low beam. A hand-held flashlight would likely produce better light than that light. The high beam worked, though.

I'm a bit confused about the Desert X's low beam situation. Like I said the 2 "halo ring" lights are so faint they're absolutely unsafe for night rides; the flashlight comparison is apt. They radiate some ambient lighting, but do not project the light; seem more like DRL than low beam. I don't get how they could be dot-approved for street use, and I tried to find references on this in online reviews. On VisorDown, they commented on the same things I saw, that the DRL/low beam is useless at night. However, on Big Rock Moto's YouTube review, Ian showed the low beam (because someone asked him about it), said that it's fine, and it appeared fine in his YouTube video. So, I don't know what's going on, this can't be right for low beam; maybe there's a separate switch or menu setting for low beam that eluded both VisorDown and me.

80CygM5.jpg

On a separate note, I met with a plumber at my in-law's house this afternoon, and the dude showed up on a new M1000R. Apparently, the regular S1000R is not fast enough for the young guy. He offered to let me take it for a spin and I graciously declined - wouldn't do it justice riding around the neighborhood.

wPNMKtj.jpg

Last edited:
Alder Creek, Brownlee Rd

Looking northward on Alder Creek Rd, headed toward Garden Valley.
EekEcXM.jpg

Unique barn at the north end of Alder Creek Rd.
lt2JQIU.jpg

The hills are starting to get green along Brownlee Rd out of Gardena.
qHESYsl.jpg

Great pictures!!

Throwback tribute to my NC700x who was rehomed this afternoon.

53583351042_7f1de6496e_b.jpg

NC in its natural habitat!

On location, in my garage, taking the bike pretty far apart just to change the air filter...

AP1GczMljBs6hzQFGRbqIRuPKhsdla6Oc99obp_vcx15y_NY6He5fWerhPQLKjZnfIwSJGOXutPOJvO0PBnQu8ymuVjw_SNQC5-kU_QfhcO61VUFONwJE8hYTWsCfwP5wV24b-EY_owzW-Dc-vH3n4yUIoVSZw=w786-no-gm

Higgins Canyon Rd. A resident there said the repair will last until August.

eh0SZJY.jpg

TAm75iG.jpg

d34qx7O.jpg

This years gathering of the vintage third wheel, downtown Paso's park.

BMW, then, & now, with a side O' Vetter, early wing.

Attachments

• IMG_5869.jpg
    IMG_5869.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5870.jpg
    IMG_5870.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5876.jpg
    IMG_5876.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 0
How about an early GS 1000 ??

and a little somthin, somthin, I've never seen, made in the midwest
DOODLEBUG

Attachments

• IMG_5873.jpg
    IMG_5873.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5875.jpg
    IMG_5875.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5874.jpg
    IMG_5874.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 0
^^:thumbup

gettin’ ready to start headin’ down the the Spring BARF Pit Ho Rally in Taft next weekend—hope to maybe see you there, Mr CDONA! :ride:party

my bike on location in the City and County of San Francisco, 5:05am, 04/28/24:

picture.php

You are an early bird SFMCjohn!

Headed out for the first long ride yesterday after several upgrades (heated grips, new front rotor, new water pump seals because it was leaking, new radiator hoses, $10 laminar lip (which works great), new clutch springs (since I had the side cover off for the water pump), new tires, new battery, replaced the main fuses with blades and relocated the fuse box, switched power for the grips and the usb charger, carb clean and float needle replacement, with a minor adjustment to the jet screw). Worked great! apart from a bit of coolant leaking from the water pump weep hole; no noticeable drop in coolant level but I was bummed to see that, hopefully it will sort itself out lol. Also, its reeving a little high. I figured it was a good time to cruise the central valley before the heat. A beautiful day!

One of the cool Delta bridges
grUXvoD.jpg

A bit of history in French Camp (I never knew why it was named that, pretty cool)
gEOfj2Z.jpg

Awesome tacos at the corner of French Camp Road and Jack Tone Road
aT81Yu9.jpg

Some Elk and Buffalo jerky
1pDivVR.jpg

Final destination, picked up some Dakota and Hawaiian sausages at Lockeford Sausage
lkvZbU8.jpg

JWLy9eq.jpg

Last edited:
Side note on French Camp road. North of French Camp road is adobe clay, walk in the rain and you will grow an inch every 10 feet. French Camp road and south is sandy soil and passable with a horse and wagon in the winter rains. This was the most northern road in the 1850's to reach the gold fields of the mother load.

Lockeford Sausage is some of the best. :thumbup

gEOfj2Z.jpg

Back