• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

post a *PIC* of your latest purchase (can be anything as long as you purchased it)

I love neat little tools like that. What size mill is it going on?

Ordered the swag offroad diy finger press brake kit for the harbor freight 20 ton press, pretty excited to assemble it when it shows. I love kits and neat tools. If this works out well, I miiiiight try to build their 50" kit with some i-beam and a few hf 20-ton air/hyd jacks..

3nR5KNV.jpg

Last edited:
Serious new beddage.

Attachments

• Stearns and Foster.jpg
    Stearns and Foster.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 78
Ordered the swag offroad diy finger press brake kit for the harbor freight 20 ton press, pretty excited to assemble it when it shows. I love kits and neat tools. If this works out well, I miiiiight try to build their 50" kit with some i-beam and a few hf 20-ton air/hyd jacks..

3nR5KNV.jpg
cool; now we know who to call when we need a bearing pressed....:teeth

I love neat little tools like that. What size mill is it going on?

We have a choice - old Tiawan RF-30 style mill/drill or Bridgeport Boss3 CNC. I had already set up an 8" rotab as a 4th axis, so I'll probably play this old school for a while. It's supposed to be a clone of the B&S.

I reeeaaally want to build a long travel battlewagon, maybe from an old LS400.

Freewing F14

Dual 80mm EDF. About 5.5 ft long. Fully operational swing wing.

Also a Freewing F15 90mm *stock fotos*

Attachments

• freewing-f-14-tomcat-twin-80mm-edf-jet-pnp-airplane-motion-rc-11295402502_1024x1024.jpg
    freewing-f-14-tomcat-twin-80mm-edf-jet-pnp-airplane-motion-rc-11295402502_1024x1024.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 70
  • freewing-f-14-tomcat-twin-80mm-edf-jet-pnp-airplane-motion-rc-11295403718_1024x1024.jpg
    freewing-f-14-tomcat-twin-80mm-edf-jet-pnp-airplane-motion-rc-11295403718_1024x1024.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
F15

Attachments

• freewing-f-15c-eagle-super-scale-90mm-edf-jet-pnp-airplane-motion-rc-11295517318_1024x1024.jpg
    freewing-f-15c-eagle-super-scale-90mm-edf-jet-pnp-airplane-motion-rc-11295517318_1024x1024.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 97
Duuuuuude, you're getting deep in the edf game. You must have a bungee launch now?

Duuuuuude, you're getting deep in the edf game. You must have a bungee launch now?

Electric Ducted Fan? Is that a thing now?

I imagine that is a handful to fly.

edit, yeah not a trainer....

[youtube]O0Yae7YU-Z4[/youtube]

Last edited:
They were just starting to get a little bit popular when I was doing rc stuff maybeeeee 15 years ago. Etec 1200's were just coming out. Can't believe where ducted fans are at now.

They were just starting to get a little bit popular when I was doing rc stuff maybeeeee 15 years ago. Etec 1200's were just coming out. Can't believe where ducted fans are at now.

Crazy. My grandpa was a nitro, balsa wood scratch builder for 40 years. Some of his stuff was beautiful. The hobby was all but dead when he was most active. Glad to see the electrics and pre-builts getting young people into it.

How much thrust can those lil screamer EDF's make?

Generally that's not their strong point, they're all about rpm, like turbines.

Generally that's not their strong point, they're all about rpm, like turbines.

But don't you need da thrust to move the plane? The lil jet I posted was hauling ass. Had to have some push behind it right?

A little, but nothing like a regular brushless setup, even an inrunner. I only played with smaller stuff, but launching an edf by hand was always a challenge to see if it'd get on step before it dropped into the grass. Even on a runway they take a minute, though the one in the video looked decent. The best was a good bungee launch, otherwise it's like trying to take off from a light in third.

A little, but nothing like a regular brushless setup, even an inrunner. I only played with smaller stuff, but launching an edf by hand was always a challenge to see if it'd get on step before it dropped into the grass. Even on a runway they take a minute, though the one in the video looked decent. The best was a good bungee launch, otherwise it's like trying to take off from a light in third.

I have a bungee launcher that I use for my fiberglass spear. The rest I take off using a runway. Some take longer than others to get off the ground. The major adjustments on EDFs versus a prop plane is the landing speed is generally higher and you need to be moving to control it. The second part might be confusing to some, but prop planes get a lot of their low speed handling help from the wind generated by the prop over the control surfaces when things are slow. EDFs have no such help so in low to no airspeed moments you turn into a glider or brick. Also, tip stalls on warplanes are quite commonplace without adequate airspeed. Some of my EDFs are better than others in that regard.

I have really started to gravitate to EDFs lately. I find them more enjoyable to fly, although I do far less aerobatic stuff with them.

Back