• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

post a *PIC* of your latest purchase (can be anything as long as you purchased it)

Figured I would post a pic of my blower purchase installed. Ran the new motor in this last weekend and really pissed off the neighbors......but she sure runs good :thumbup

main.php

Last edited:

Attachments

• bucket197.jpg
    bucket197.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
:rofl

Shows on my end, on home and work computers, even his quote shows it. Huh.

How about now?

ya that works

:thumbup

other one still doesn't
i'm wondering if it's something with google chrome, as el dookys picture in another thread didn't show either and he said it was showing on his end

odd

Why no one has told me about a planimeter before? What other cool measuring instruments am I ignorant of?

Attachments

• planimeter.jpg
    planimeter.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 43
I was amazed they claim +/- 0.2% accuracy and they're right! Measures to a hundredth of an inch on the vernier scale.

Why no one has told me about a planimeter before? What other cool measuring instruments am I ignorant of?

i suspect you know this, but measuring tools are an approximately infinitely deep pit of awesomeness. i've never heard of a planimeter but i'm about to waste ~30 3 minutes on the internet reading about them. thanks?

3 minutes, so cool. so much math (not really, just too much for days ending in Y)

Last edited:
I’ve used a planimeter several times just playing around and comparing to actual surveyed shots. It is by no means a precision tool. It’s good for quick approximations of cut/fill volumes from cross section surveys. But these days you just scan the terrain or fly a drone over it.

You want a cool old school precision instrument look for a Wild T2 theodolite. I’d probably pick up one of those myself if I came across one in good condition.

You want a cool old school precision instrument look for a Wild T2 theodolite. I’d probably pick up one of those myself if I came across one in good condition.

My husband is a lay-out guy for a big construction firm. He uses theodolites and all kinds of kick-ass instruments. He measured our giant sequoia at our place down in Miramonte with some of them. Pretty cool! I don't know what all the stuff is or what it does, but it all looks cool :)

My husband is a lay-out guy for a big construction firm. He uses theodolites and all kinds of kick-ass instruments. He measured our giant sequoia at our place down in Miramonte with some of them. Pretty cool! I don't know what all the stuff is or what it does, but it all looks cool :)

Theodolite measures angles only. You’d need to measure the length of a least one side of a property to calculate an area, using the theodolite to measure all angles between sides and some basic trigonometry. If using a theodolite the distances are generally measured with an add on EDM or a steel chain.
Makes it much more accurate if you measure the lengths of all sides which is pretty much normal practice.

There are several theodolite manufacturers however Wild (Swiss made) were as good as it gets. The T2 measures angles to 1” as opposed to say their cheaper T16 which measures to 1’. They all look cool as a display piece but T2 looks cooler for those who know what they are. The company Wild has become part of Leica who is a major manufacturer of electronic total stations as well as the other consumer products Leica are known for.

Not sure mechanical theodolites are even made anymore as they were an expensive precision tool which have been replaced by the electronic options offered by total stations which can do a lot more like storing data plus some have the ability to scan objects and terrain. Total Stations can measure up to 5000 meters accurate to a centimetre or better.

All are cool tools to work with.

Back