• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

post a *PIC* of your latest purchase (can be anything as long as you purchased it)

:laughing
A mountain sled it ain't. This is transportation. That said, it's pretty fast, with a 900 triple.

Well if your in the need for a sled trailer for hauling...
I'm selling my vintage sled..
The dog Refuses to pull it!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211228-153119_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20211228-153119_Samsung Internet.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Hooligan and BRL racing, here we come!

Now for the build....ugh.

Attachments

• 129c7ec4-02de-4542-ba3a-49a699a38043.jpg
    129c7ec4-02de-4542-ba3a-49a699a38043.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 24
:laughing

Well if your in the need for a sled trailer for hauling...
I'm selling my vintage sled..
The dog Refuses to pull it!

I remember being hauled behind two stroke sleds back in the day when we were clowning around and you’d be sucking in a lot of exhaust fumes. Modern machines should obviously be a lot cleaner but I still think it’s a bad idea to haul animals behind them.

ChJrzCz.jpeg

So finally got my metric wrenches, was actually waiting on the husky set even though I ordered it B4 the gear wrench set. Bad weather I assume since it was stuck in OR for a week.

Regardless, the wrench dimensions are similar with the exception being the length. Smallest and largest gear wrench wrenches shown and comparable husky wrenches for comparison. The extra length is worth the cost difference alone to me. Course the 120 teeth vs the 72 is nice too, but honestly the quality between the two seems really similar. Actually I bet the gear on the husky is less prone to issues since the gear wrench is actually two 60 tooth gears stacked offset of each other. Same width wrench though so the gears have to be at best half the width and half the surface area to apply the load too. Hopefully they'll last. Haven't decided if I'm returning the husky yet, probably keep both sets lol.

Just based on that picture alone, the GearWrench will be used 100% of the time over the Husky. Spline drive on the box (allows you to use it on more than just 6/12pt standard fasteners), there looks like some kind of anti-slip jaw on the open end, and longer for more leverage.

But yeah like you said, if that has two skinny 60 tooth gears in it, that will be the weak point. My primary (I have many different kinds) ratcheting wrenches are long pattern with a fixed box on one side where you put in all the ugga duggas before/after using the ratcheting side.

Just based on that picture alone, the GearWrench will be used 100% of the time over the Husky. Spline drive on the box (allows you to use it on more than just 6/12pt standard fasteners), there looks like some kind of anti-slip jaw on the open end, and longer for more leverage.

But yeah like you said, if that has two skinny 60 tooth gears in it, that will be the weak point. My primary (I have many different kinds) ratcheting wrenches are long pattern with a fixed box on one side where you put in all the ugga duggas before/after using the ratcheting side.

Word

Honestly I don't come across square drive or external torx stuff nearly enough for the spline end to be much more than a marketing gimmick to me. But I have no experience with them, same with the weird open end, maybe they're great and I'll never look back? For twice the cost I'm not sure the gear wrench set is worth it for your regular shade tree. You get an extra wrench,21mm, with the husky as well if I haven't mentioned it before. Probably just keep the husky set in my truck.

Can't find the imperial size gear wrench set in stock anywhere reasonably priced unfortunately because I need that now after getting my hands on the metric set, but def hanging onto the imperial husky set because it comes with 4 additional sizes over 3/4" , for half the cost. Super good deal, definitely better deal than the metric set imo.

Also yes, not planning on breaking loose or torquing down with the gear side.

Last edited:
I have some Mac wrenches with an open end like that. Seemed like a gimmick, but damn do they work. Pretty much stopped using flare but wrenches after I got those.

Couldn't agree more. Another of my fave tools is set of Gearwrench combos in stubby variety. They sure can get into places and ratchet where nothing else can.

GW_9520D_IMG-MAIN.jpg

Couldn't agree more. Another of my fave tools is set of Gearwrench combos in stubby variety. They sure can get into places and ratchet where nothing else can.

GW_9520D_IMG-MAIN.jpg

Clearly I need a larger open ended wrench drawer.

I've found those 0° ratchet end wrenches all but useless. I know ur talking about stubbys and that's not my bitch, but I'd rather have a stubby with a traditional 15° closed end than the 0° ratchet end. Almost 0 situations those things are handy I'm my experience. If someone wants a set though kobalt has the best deal on em iirc. Can get a metric and imperial set for like $50 total.

Just for fun, when I get into work tomorrow I’m gonna show you all the different wrenches I have to turn just one size but. It’s just absurd. And I still run into situations where I wish I had the U shaped one or the deep offset one and so on.

At least 4 of each size from 10-19mm? :laughing

The Matco extra long, offset, spline drive, ratcheting flex head wrenches are bomb.
https://www.matcotools.com/catalog/...g-double-box-flex-head-ratcheting-wrench-set/

Sounds about right. In some sizes I have 7 different wrenches. Here. The “wrench drawer” of my box. The only SAE shit is the one combo set in the upper left. Everything else is metric.

Frankly I’m amazed it’s only this much. I’ve seen guys with the amount of years I have have twice as many wrenches as this.

Attachments

• C76C4410-C0E3-420C-9746-440EF4B4F7B9.jpg
    C76C4410-C0E3-420C-9746-440EF4B4F7B9.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 38
Sounds about right. In some sizes I have 7 different wrenches. Here. The “wrench drawer” of my box. The only SAE shit is the one combo set in the upper left. Everything else is metric.

Frankly I’m amazed it’s only this much. I’ve seen guys with the amount of years I have have twice as many wrenches as this.

That's a first year apprentice drawer right there :p

In all seriousness I'm sure you have one set that costs more than all of mine combined.

I actually feel like throwing some away but it just feels so wrong to do that to perfectly acceptable tools.

In all seriousness I'm sure you have one set that costs more than all of mine combined.

I actually feel like throwing some away but it just feels so wrong to do that to perfectly acceptable tools.

Those long Snap-OnEDIT:Mac zero offset box wrenches are pretty stupid priced. But the most expensive one? The Hazet. Fucking German version of Snap-On…but looks shittier than Craftsman.

Last edited:
Hazet stuff is amazing quality but it's not the prettiest. I do really the look of Stahlwille wrenches, another expensive, high-quality German brand :laughing

My wrench drawer is about twice the size. I have a bad habit of buying a whole set when I needed something one time to get into a tight spot lol

Last edited:

I buy so many tools it is scary. I have a metric fuck ton of hand tools sitting in a bin in my garage and a bunch of cordless tools. So my grandson just started renting his own place recently and he called me and asked about tools. We talked a bit and then when he was on leave last year he came to the house and spent a few weeks here so we talked some more and when he drove back to GA he left with a trunk full of tools. I gave him a full set of ratchets and sockets, drill/drivers, bits, older cordless tools and a bunch of woodworking tools to get him started doing things around the house. Save those old tools and gift them to family/friends who are just starting out.

Back