• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Post / Chat whores post here (2024)

That ding dong wasted so much of our time. He wanted us to design and install the stability used to keep it from sinking but didn't want to give us any money until we explained exactly how to do it. :twofinger

He had to move it before the 15th because MArin has placed a moratoreum on moving floating homes around.
Tow boat broke down under the Bay Bridge...

Cluster fuck to the nth degree.

That ding dong wasted so much of our time. He wanted us to design and install the stability used to keep it from sinking but didn't want to give us any money until we explained exactly how to do it. :twofinger

He had to move it before the 15th because MArin has placed a moratoreum on moving floating homes around.
Tow boat broke down under the Bay Bridge...

Cluster fuck to the nth degree.

Ha , funny indeed. I was reading on the Internet yesterday that "it seems to have stopped and is drifting towards treasure Island " :rofl

Someone had been watching from the FiDi

Oops, snap.

I think I have a broken AC line. Aluminum. I can see the hole. Does anyone know what happens if I turn on the engine, will it leak and is it flammable?

What are my options here now?... this feels like it needs an engine rebuild...not feeling too good right now :(

Speaking of BARFers that have never met each other, has anyone heard from or seen any posts from Poach?

I would call him but his number was in my work phone I haven't had in over a year.

We connected while I was traveling to the butthole of California, Selma, twice a month for work on the CA High Speed Rail which I think everyone that isn't a dreamer knows is never going to come to fruition...

200w.gif

Hat trick

Oops, snap.

I think I have a broken AC line. Aluminum. I can see the hole. Does anyone know what happens if I turn on the engine, will it leak and is it flammable?

What are my options here now?... this feels like it needs an engine rebuild...not feeling too good right now :(

The AC refrigerant is not flammable. If it's leaking, the system will need to be purged and refilled after fixing the leak. It won't be a disaster to run the engine for a while, but the AC system does have oil in the lines, which is meant to circulate with the refrigerant and lubricate the compressor. Running it for hundreds of miles wouldn't be good for the AC compressor.

What is making you think the engine needs a rebuild?

Because the broken line starts from the serpentine belt (R side of engine) slings under the engine mount R goes under coolant bulboid , and disappears behind the engine I presume in the firewall.

The broken hole is right at the start, near the sensor in the space near the serpentine belt...

-
It looks like it's all this one molded aluminum line , with pressure clampings here and there.

The only thing I can think of is "trash" aluminum welding (which I'd have to find a professional for and still take half the front off)

Last edited:
This isn't an engine rebuild scenario. It does sound like you need to replace a few components of the AC system. To be clear, the hole is in a part that can be removed, yes?

This isn't an engine rebuild scenario. It does sound like you need to replace a few components of the AC system. To be clear, the hole is in a part that can be removed, yes?

Actually no, it looks like it's part of a complete line . Not just a part that can be removed. It in one of those "knuckles" that attach AC lines. Here is the hole from the top (it's small.but clearly visible in the center back )

vhIhWrg.jpeg

I'm uploading the pictures of how those knuckles look from under the car ; the hole is in the right one, and the sensor with a broken nub is pointing to/over it

mBW1RgG.jpeg

Is that a hole, or just a port used to fill the system?

Getting some Texas sized weather here, just had thunder loud enough to shake the cabin I am in. They are predicting softball sized hail. My bike is safely under the community center patio roof. Quite the lightning show, nothing like I am used to from Colorado, felt more like the strobe light at a concert.

Looks like it is a fitting though, probably just buy a new one and replace? Though, be careful, it's a pressurized system and YouTube videos have taught me it's rather violent when the pressure is released by mistake.

Looks like it is a fitting though, probably just buy a new one and replace? Though, be careful, it's a pressurized system and YouTube videos have taught me it's rather violent when the pressure is released by mistake.

You're right that it's just a fitting. The pressure is already released and most likely the AC compressor clutch is not engaging and turning the compressor because the pressure in the system is too low. Most AC systems have that failsafe built in so the compressor won't run with insufficient lubrication.

AE, you may have to replace some lines, but that's probably about it. The system will need to be recharged with oil and refrigerant, but that can be a DIY thing. You do need a vacuum pump to pull total vacuum in the system before filling with refrigerant.

Speaking of BARFers that have never met each other, has anyone heard from or seen any posts from Poach?

I would call him but his number was in my work phone I haven't had in over a year.

We connected while I was traveling to the butthole of California, Selma, twice a month for work on the CA High Speed Rail which I think everyone that isn't a dreamer knows is never going to come to fruition...

I haven't seen anything from Poach for a long time.

Oops, snap.

If there's a visible hole in the line, the refrigerant is already gone. The HVAC system will not allow the compressor to operate if the refrigerant pressure is below a certain level so you don't have to worry about damaging anything until you can get the line replaced. I would recommend having the receiver/drier replaced at the same time as the line.

Just saw the pictures :rolleyes

:laughing

The fitting that pressure sensor screws into is part of the line. You'll need a new line and sensor, receiver/drier as I said, and a recharge. Those sensors on VAG products are usually replaceable without having to evacuate the system...unless the fitting snaps off :laughing

Back