• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Post / Chat whores post here (2024)

Didn't see any Aurora activity yesterday but blasting through the fog at night along the panoramic highway was fun. Also caught the sea of clouds effect in time for sunset from Ridgecrest so that was neat.

why did i think i could drive from LA to Southern Oregon in a day?

am idiot. was worth it.

Like, in a car?

I've heard through the years that the older someone gets, the more conservative they tend to become. I don't exactly know how well substantiated that is (probably isn't), but I've heard it more than a few times. Hell, I've seen it with regards to my dad (a boomer) especially. The guy has been a registered democrat and voted that way for as long as I can remember, but the older he gets the more his opinions have tended to shift to the right in terms of the political spectrum. Perhaps there's some possible correlation there as well with people getting older and becoming less tolerant of other folks that don't look/act like they do. Maybe it's just the environments they choose to live in? :dunno

I had a history professor in High School who said Republicans were just democrats who had been mugged by reality. Interesting sentiment.

Most I've done is 12 hours in a day, gets a little old by the end of the day, but I do enjoy being on the road.

yeah in a car. it was horrible.

I would only ever do a long drive by car/truck. No way I’d ever consider 8 hrs or more on a motorcycle. But then I never had a motorcycle even remotely comfortable enough to attempt it.

Being out of the wind, able to pull over and take a 5-10 minute nap, stripped down to basic comfortable clothes…

I didn’t get the ironbutt gene

I would only ever do a long drive by car/truck. No way I’d ever consider 8 hrs or more on a motorcycle. But then I never had a motorcycle even remotely comfortable enough to attempt it.

Being out of the wind, able to pull over and take a 5-10 minute nap, stripped down to basic comfortable clothes…

I didn’t get the ironbutt gene

driving sucks. I5 is hell.

From an economic standpoint, people tend to want to keep what they have worked for and be able to pass wealth on to their kids.

I don't want what I haven't earned. Not even from my own family. My father paid for both my sisters to go to college. I refused the idea and joined the Army to earn it instead. To this day, he consistently reminds me (at least a few times a year) that if I ever decide I want a masters degree, he'll pay for it. It actually annoys me that he won't let up about it but I think he thinks it's something he has to do and perhaps feels guilty that I did it my way instead of the way my sisters did. I don't know where it came from, as I felt it at a young age, but I've never wanted something I didn't work for and/or pay in to in order to earn a return on. I've used unemployment, but I paid into that. I've used my VA loan, but I earned that. I've used my GI Bill to offset the cost of obtaining an undergraduate degree, but I earned that. I'm just different, I suppose.

Not the same around here without his blunt commentary

No worries he posts it on reddit.

e.g. he says ... a place he went to get pizza, is not good. To (not) his credit the place looks like a dump and (it's so bad, that) I didn't even realize it exists...

Last edited:
Mid 40s and I've definitely become more liberal with age. Anything is possible but I can't foresee myself wanting less for others as I get older.

I-5 does suck though, even with good company.

yup. until north of redding then it makes me happy in the pants.

car was my jetta station wagon. company was my kiddo, two high school buddies of his and another kid who just turned 21. they decided to join us for the concert (cruel world). it was fun, they were goofy. my son was happy to see all the bands he got to see and i had fun hanging with my gf ruth in los Angeles.

next time i am flying.

I don’t do Reddit, just don’t need that much social media interaction.

I drove I5 BC to BA last summer, it was aight. Saw bikers along the way and didn’t envy them.

Back