• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Post / Chat whores post here (2024)

IIRC the screen and MMI module are separate components. The MMI has to be coded to match teh vehicle equipment. There are 3rd party methods of doing it that I'm unfamiliar with but a quick google says it's possible to even do firmware updates. Though I don't think I'd mess with that if everything works. The dealer might decline to code a used part because they don't want the liability. Also hit up Custom Car Alarms in Pleasant Hill and see what they think. Give them all the details of your situation.

Morning hoerzeses!
MikeV :wow :kiss

My kid decided they're going to start collecting vinyl because I guess it's cool these days. I scored a free audio technica AT-LP120-USB that has literally been used once. Right now we're listing to it via USB through their computer and a Bose Bluetooth speaker that sounds...not bad. Looking for recommendations for compact amp and speakers that'll fit with the turntable on say, a dresser, for example, without eviscerating my bank account.

That's pretty awesome. Here's my unsolicited advice:

I recommend not streaming a record via bluetooth. Why? Other than the ritual of records, you lose any benefits. The record is analog (and yes I know the source of the record is usually digital). When you bluetooth it, you're converting the analog to digital, compressing it, sending it, uncompressing it and converting it back to analog. Whatever warmth from the analog is lost.

Second, a Bose bluetooth speaker won't have any soundstage at all it's practically a mono setup since the drivers are inches apart.

Finally, no problem. They make amazing tiny Class D amps now that can drive most speakers.

Check out the Aiyima and Fosi amps on Amazon. They are tiny and under $100 depending on which one you want. Then check out soem ELAC 4" speakers...they're $175 right now but they often drop as low as $115. Most pairs of cheap passive speakers will outshine the Bose.

Fun adventure for you and your kid :)

My kid decided they're going to start collecting vinyl because I guess it's cool these days. I scored a free audio technica AT-LP120-USB that has literally been used once. Right now we're listing to it via USB through their computer and a Bose Bluetooth speaker that sounds...not bad. Looking for recommendations for compact amp and speakers that'll fit with the turntable on say, a dresser, for example, without eviscerating my bank account.

I have an amp and speakers but they are not tiny.

Receiver: Dimensions: 480 x 135 x 300mm = 19W x 5.4H x 12D inches.

Speakers: 220 x 370 x 210mm = 9W x 15H x 8.3D inches.

Ideally the speakers should be farther apart than on top of a dresser so I'd get some shelves for the wall or stands.

Free to you of course.

Folks are asking $500 or so for the 1972 receiver and around $200 for the 1985 speakers.

s-l1600.jpg

B%26W_DM100i.jpg

B&W is good stuff

They were very good back in the day as this guy attests.

Butyl Rubber woofer surround means no degradation like foam surrounds which are the bane of older speakers.

When these speakers came out in the market, around 1985, they won awards for bookshelve speakers of this size and bigger! They are acoustic suspension speakers with a 6.5inch full range speaker and a 1inch soft dome tweeter. These speakers are made of Kevlar with inverted butyl rubber surrounds! I still have a pair, and they still sound like state of the art! Very flat, tight bass, with the right amount of crisp treble, very non colored sound. Let me add that these are very small speakers, no wonder the BEATLES used B&W speakers! I still give them a TEN!

https://www.hifidatabase.com/Bowers Wilkins_DM100i_3950.php

I think I had that receiver back in the day as a budding garage sale audiophile.

Got a set of Paradigm Atoms based on a co-worker recommendation back when I lived in a studio. They are in fact good enough I am still using them in my small 1 bedroom apartment, paired with a Paradigm sub I picked up during the pandemic as well as a decent center channel and surrounds. Sounds lovely to me and it's capable of getting much louder than I need.

Amazing images.

I havent turned on my Denon AVR and 2 speakers + center today. :dunno for some reason "the listening setup" is not good / nor nearby while I'm sitting on a computer typing on BARF :dunno :thumbup

-
hey what do you guys think of buying a used bicycle .... just never know how much the price should be..

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/334455395881912/?

Last edited:
That's pretty awesome. Here's my unsolicited advice:

I recommend not streaming a record via bluetooth. Why? Other than the ritual of records, you lose any benefits. The record is analog (and yes I know the source of the record is usually digital). When you bluetooth it, you're converting the analog to digital, compressing it, sending it, uncompressing it and converting it back to analog. Whatever warmth from the analog is lost.

Second, a Bose bluetooth speaker won't have any soundstage at all it's practically a mono setup since the drivers are inches apart.

Finally, no problem. They make amazing tiny Class D amps now that can drive most speakers.

Check out the Aiyima and Fosi amps on Amazon. They are tiny and under $100 depending on which one you want. Then check out soem ELAC 4" speakers...they're $175 right now but they often drop as low as $115. Most pairs of cheap passive speakers will outshine the Bose.

Fun adventure for you and your kid :)

I will look into those options, thanks! Definitely the size/form factor I had in mind. The bluetooth arrangement is not ideal, we just wanted to get listening right away :laughing

I have an amp and speakers but they are not tiny.

Receiver: Dimensions: 480 x 135 x 300mm = 19W x 5.4H x 12D inches.

Speakers: 220 x 370 x 210mm = 9W x 15H x 8.3D inches.

Ideally the speakers should be farther apart than on top of a dresser so I'd get some shelves for the wall or stands.

Free to you of course.

Folks are asking $500 or so for the 1972 receiver and around $200 for the 1985 speakers.

[url]https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/F~gAAOSw4mBlcit-/s-l1600.jpg[/url][IMG]

[IMG][url]https://hifi-wiki.com/images/7/7f/B%26W_DM100i.jpg[/url][IMG][/QUOTE]

Thank you for the offer! That is definitely very too big for our situation though. My kid gets stressed out when any surface has too much stuff on it :laughing

Amazing images.

I havent turned on my Denon AVR and 2 speakers + center today. :dunno for some reason "the listening setup" is not good / nor nearby while I'm sitting on a computer typing on BARF :dunno :thumbup

-
hey what do you guys think of buying a used bicycle .... just never know how much the price should be..

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/334455395881912/?

I've been considering setting up a smaller speaker / amp for my computer desk because it's adjacent to the main system so no ideal either. Right now I just turn things up a bit more :laughing

What kinda bike? I'm not up on valuation per se, but I can take a look at the listing and tell you if it looks like a value or not.

I love my kittens. They follow me around, though they try to steer me to the bed place or food place.
Maine Coons are pretty fuckin smart.

kittens two... Leo, the 26 pound big boy is hanging out with me in the office with the computer. He could be a dog.
Pic with Sally attached for scale

Attachments

• IMG_0227.jpg
    IMG_0227.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 30
Yup, my cat has some coon in him. He'll just stand by his food bowl giving disapproving looks until it's been properly topped up.

I've been considering setting up a smaller speaker / amp for my computer desk because it's adjacent to the main system so no ideal either. Right now I just turn things up a bit more :laughing
yeah, that's actually what I also have - a "small" amp, Kinter tripath, palm sized, ... kinda amazing you can buy this (since 5-10 years) already... but it also gets rarely used b/c of the nature of streaming: I have to pair it to a BT... or PC cable.. eh

What kinda bike? I'm not up on valuation per se, but I can take a look at the listing and tell you if it looks like a value or not.

the ad in the link above says Felt FA Superlite Complete Bike (58cm) $750
but I guess it's a "built up".
2013 model. Super light, stiff and fast. "Superlite" aluminum frame with Carbon Fork
Ritchey Pro Handlebars, Shimano Dura Ace 7800 levers and derailleurs, Ultegra 6600 brakes, FSA compact chainset, Velomax wheels.

( I might be also too meek for duraace... 105 would be fiine for me?)

-

anyway I'm gonna hit a shot RN cuz I'm suddenly not feeling in a good mood.

Last edited:
kittens two... Leo, the 26 pound big boy is hanging out with me in the office with the computer. He could be a dog.
Pic with Sally attached for scale

That's a big cat!

the ad in the link above says Felt FA Superlite Complete Bike (58cm) $750
but I guess it's a "built up".
2013 model. Super light, stiff and fast. "Superlite" aluminum frame with Carbon Fork
Ritchey Pro Handlebars, Shimano Dura Ace 7800 levers and derailleurs, Ultegra 6600 brakes, FSA compact chainset, Velomax wheels.

( I might be also too meek for duraace... 105 would be fiine for me?)

-

anyway I'm gonna hit a shot RN cuz I'm suddenly not feeling in a good mood.

Sounds pretty nice, no one really needs Dura Ace, but it's nice if you can get it. I usually go with ultegra for chains and sprockets since the price difference is big and the actual difference is small. Price is probably good assuming the bike is in good shape. I'd wanna know how many miles are on it and take a look at the drivetrain to see what kind of shape it is in.

Back