Random Motorcycle thoughts unworthy of a new thread

Just saw the grid for the Daytona 200.

Looks like the international interest is back and that makes me :smile

13 countries repped.

Some familiar names to us racing fans
The list of nations represented reads like a global competition akin to the Olympic Games, and the level of talent includes three past Daytona 200 winners (Josh Herrin, Brandon Paasch, and Danny Eslick), the 2023 MotoAmerica Supersport Champion (Xavi Forés), the two-time FIM World Endurance Championship-winning team of riders (Niccolò Canepa, Marvin Fritz, and Karel Hanika), a 13-time Isle of Man TT winner and all-time lap record holder (Peter Hickman), a four-time AMA Superbike Champion (Josh Hayes), a three-time Canadian Superbike Champion (Ben Young), and a two-time British Superstock 1000 Champion (Richard Cooper), just to name a few.

And former BARF Racer and current Bagger Racer Bobby Fong.

Kayla Yaakov the young female phenom is doing her first..!

Makes my heart sing, but I will miss John Ashmead. :rose

I need to let out a quick rant...

A friend needed assistance yesterday in purchasing an older Yamaha scooter. He had two lined up to look at. One in Petaluma, and another in Mountain View. Both were high priced, but advertised to be in perfect condition, very low miles, and with titles in hand. One was advertised original owner, the other as second owner.

We arrive in Petaluma after an hour and half drive from Pleasanton. Sure enough the scooter is in mint condition as advertised. My friend is very happy and willing to pay the advertised price. While looking at it, the owner then mentions that he DOESN'T have the title in hand. Apparently it had been financed and he never got the title from the bank when the loan was payed off years ago. Oh, and the band was acquired by another bank, so he isn't sure how to get the title. WTF!!!

We leave and make the two hour drive to Mountain View. We arrive and looks like a junk yard in the middle of a multi-million dollar neighborhood. Kinda odd. The seller shows us the the scooter. It is nice, but not as perfect as the first one.

While looking at the bike, I notice the tags are over ten year old. The seller says he has the new tags. We negotiate a fair price and shake on it. The seller disappears into the house to grab the title and tags. He comes out with a jumbled pile of papers and finds old DMV forms that show the bike had been bought and sold several times prior to his ownership, but he never finds the title. During the commotion, I run the VIN through the DMV website and determine it hasn't been registered in years and has many $100s in back fees due. So the seller isn't the second owner; doesn't have a title; and doesn't have new tags! WTF again!!!

These are grown ass men asking top dollar... but can't get their shit together.

My friend and I get back to Pleasnaton after 9 hours on the road and still an empty truck. So frustrating. :x

Last edited:
I need to let out a quick rant...
I think I would start asking for a photo of the title before making a drive that far.

I never did get a title for the third bike that I purchased. And I think one dirt bike that I purchased (#8 or 9 I think) I only got a bill of sale, but I was able to apply for something like a title for it. I had title issues with one other bike where the seller was not the one listed on the title and something was off that the DMV didn't like. That one would not have been a hassle if I had bothered to get a bill of sale on it.

Some of us have to learn lessons like that the hard way, apparently. :rolleyes :laughing

I once bought a gsxr1000 with the seller not having the title in hand. It had only 300 miles and was a killer deal so I wanted it bad enough to take a chance. Dude said he had a lien on it that was paid off and he’d send the title within a week once he got it from the bank. Turns out he was being straight and it all worked out. Not sure I’d do it again but you kinda get a feel for if the person you’re dealing with is sketchy or not.

Am I the only one that thinks motorcycles are getting worse? I remember when you bought a dual sport/dirt bike and it ran correctly from the beginning. Now they need new ECU's and pipes etc. KTM/Husky/Gas Gas has lightened everything to the point it breaks -kick stands would be a good example. Don't even get me started on their Injected 2 strokes.

Butch rode Kaui back in '08. Bottom of the page

Ran across the Hawaiian Hard Enduro Exibition race in Cycle News. The locals put a beat down on Pro Enduro top notch dude Cody Webb. There is a video interview with the top 4 in the article with 4th place Webb at the end talking about the local bra's taking it to him.

I cannot imagine!!

youtu.be/_6VDVb0oyeA

The guys that ride that stuff are a special breed. :thumbup

Looking forward to the Daytona 200. Sort of a throwback to the old days since tires are not spec. Dunlop vs Pirelli vs Bridgestone. They all want to win.

I am routing for Josh Hayes on his 1965 Yamaha R6. :p
The winningest rider in AMA / MotoAmerica history has never won the 200. It sure would make for some awesome icing on an awesome racing career cake.

Happy to see MotoGP lighting up this weekend!! :banana

If you have not been a fan this season is looking really good with several manufacturers looking to dethrone Ducati.

Ducati has dominated the last few years and perhaps this year and even stronger challenge to their Title is going to take place.

You can follow the fun with us in the Couch Racers corner Qatar thread.

Don't know what the conditions are like oop north, but I broke out the old CR250 and ragged it around the mountains behind Santa Clarita on Saturday, and the dirt was magnificent! I haven't ridden off road in ages and it was a TOTAL blast. Dirty bikes are entirely splendid and my 23 year old 250, that I bought for 1500 bucks years ago, is still bonkers. Love it.

100LL and Maxima 927 FTW.

Feel about 85 years old today. Creakier than a barn door in a gale.

:laughing

Cool you got out and had hero dirt to boot.

I hauled my Kawi Triple to get some much needed love and besides seeing the line up of triples on site looking stunning :drool a highlight was the one dude in the truck frantically waving a thumbup and pointing to the bike on the way there.

Kind of got to be :afm199 to appreciate a bike from 1975.

Splendid news on the triple! They're quite a spectacle when they're going right, especially with a set of spannies howling away.

Colorado popped up as a Lane Sharing State and it made me think back to the codifying effort that Surj, Nick H (AMA), the coalition of clubs and I went through with Quirk.

We all felt that the codification would lead to other States adopting the practice. I knew it would take time, but with a State Officially legalizing it there would be light ahead for motorcyclist in other States.

It takes passionate people from each to rangle the system to get there but the success is nice to see.

Hoping to see more in the future. :Port

My meeting with Quirk and the Clubs of the East Bay led by the HA was a memorable moment!! A story told several times amongst friends. :teeth

That is some crazy stuff Tux.

Thinking about a great day for a Burrito kind of day back 50 years ago when he won the Ontario Road Race.

Gene Romero will remain an Icon for me. A true bad ass moto man.

Back