• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Retail giants are blaming their lower profits on theft...

Thanks Bud. Good explanations.

Shoplifting may be a contributing factor to big retail stores leaving SF but big retail is disappering everywhere.

Good point. While online retailers face inside theft, they don't face store front theft. That means higher margins.

Thanks, Budman!

Thanks for making an effort to keep things clean of the P-trap Brett. Totally get the bounce back, especially when these threads get kicked to the KSP. I've made the same mistake.

Good point. While online retailers face inside theft, they don't face store front theft. That means higher margins.

I wonder what the breaks are on store theft vs people returning different stuff, returning used stuffed, claiming they never got it and all the other fun mail order scams is?

I've been reading about the sheer volume of returns a lot of mail order places deal with, and its pretty crazy.

I don't think I've seen too many center-biased sites listed, that is one of them. :thumbup

I wonder what the breaks are on store theft vs people returning different stuff, returning used stuffed, claiming they never got it and all the other fun mail order scams is?

I've been reading about the sheer volume of returns a lot of mail order places deal with, and its pretty crazy.

Hadn't considered those points, thanks for that. I do think much of damaged product, etc is factored in AND, so long as something marketable is received, it has a value as opposed to true "loss".

:laughing

Still trying to push the flat out wrong idea that California is the most DANGEROUS STATE in the US.

Anecdotally, I don't have the concerns of windows being broken out and stuff stolen from my car in the others three states I'm in: CO, FL, PA. My friends in PA think I'm nuts to hide stuff all the time. In CO I don't ever make the effort. FL I do, and same comments I get from people there. Everyone can't fathom the whole smash-n-grab thing outside CA, I've found.

CA isn't the most dangerous state. The big cities are, though.

The same centrist-rated website used earlier disagrees. There's only one, Stockton, and it's at the bottom of the top 10. Admittedly in all fairness though, Stockton is indeed a shithole. :laughing

...the ten most dangerous cities in the United States are:

Detroit, MI
Memphis, TN
Birmingham, AL
Baltimore, MD
St. Louis, MO
Kansas City, MO
Cleveland, OH
Little Rock, AR
Milwaukee, WI
Stockton, CA

https://worldpopulationreview.com/us-city-rankings/most-dangerous-cities-in-the-us

The same centrist-rated website used earlier disagrees. There's only one, Stockton, and it's at the bottom of the top 10. Admittedly in all fairness though, Stockton is indeed a shithole. :laughing

https://worldpopulationreview.com/us-city-rankings/most-dangerous-cities-in-the-us

Again, you only using violent crime reported by FBI, this time 5 years old.
Quality of life can be good even with high crime. By the link above CA is somewhere in middle. Many states ahead of it even tough they have higher violent crime rating.

Again, you only using violent crime reported by FBI, this time 5 years old.
Quality of life can be good even with high crime. By the link above CA is somewhere in middle. Many states ahead of it even tough they have higher violent crime rating.

You say "again" like you've already scolded me previously for basing the data off something you disagree with or something. I merely used the same website that was already identified as being centrist so as to avoid perceived political bias. That being said, as I already pointed out, people tend to live in an echo chamber environments and the reality is that I'm not going to convince you of anything that you don't already feel is reality so interpret the data however you please. Most likely, you could engage some Google-Fu and find something that entirely contradicts anything you find on the internet in the first place so... :dunno

The more currency we create (QE) the more earth inequality we create. Multi-nationals have created a system where agencies and policies favor working with them. Mass favors the entities with large footprints, IME.

Succinctly that is what the classical economists say. I could drone on to the benefits of cash value over time, etc, but you get it already.

Stockton actually SHOULD BE the savior of the City of San Francisco, but no one has the stomach for my solutions.

I don't think there is a single metric by which CA can be considered "most dangerous" Our violent crime rates aren't the highest, and our accidental death rate (which would include all the other stuff) is one of the lowest in the country. Even our major urban areas are well down the list of most violent cities. (and holy crap Mobile is is practically Thunder dome)

TWF - Your going to have to come up with something better than a bot-written blog that is just making up numbers and putting them into word salad.

TWF - Your going to have to come up with something better than a bot-written blog that is just making up numbers and putting them into word salad.

No need to. Contrary what you guys think I wish CA is much better than currently is. Many reasons. I live 10 miles away and go there all the time and enjoy good parts of it. Another selfish reason I wish it best is hope mass migration from CA here would stop, it is ruining my area. Crime going up and quality of life down.

Stockton actually SHOULD BE the savior of the City of San Francisco, but no one has the stomach for my solutions.

As always, I'll remind you that San Francisco is not the only city on the planet. :twofinger

Another selfish reason I wish it best is hope mass migration from CA here would stop, it is ruining my area. Crime going up and quality of life down.

I presume you actually have evidence to back that statement up and aren't just regurgitating the same tired, knee-jerk and xenophobic reactionary junk that everyone else who doesn't like people from California moving to their area is saying, right? Shit, if nothing else, I would posit that the people moving outside of the state actually have the money to do so and so are the least likely to be committing the crimes you're accusing them of committing.

Last edited:
As always, I'll remind you that San Francisco is not the only city on the planet. :twofinger

Indeed, but it shares a State Budget and a common interest with the City of Stockton, that is why we should build the Camps there.

I presume you actually have evidence to back that statement up and aren't just regurgitating the same tired, knee-jerk and xenophobic reactionary junk that everyone else who doesn't like people from California moving to their area is saying, right? Shit, if nothing else, I would posit that the people moving outside of the state actually have the money to do so and so are the least likely to be committing the crimes you're accusing them of committing.
Come here I will show you in person, and buy you beer.
I have nothing against people from CA, just actions of some of them.
If anything I should tank them if it was just about me. My property I bought 6 years ago is worth almost triple right now. In same time young generation can not afford housing or find place to rent. Money CA people bring did not raise salaries to keep up.
I don't know what world you live in when you think only those with money move out of the state :)

Come here I will show you in person, and buy you beer.
I have nothing against people from CA, just actions of some of them.
If anything I should tank them if it was just about me. My property I bought 6 years ago is worth almost triple right now. In same time young generation can not afford housing or find place to rent. Money CA people bring did not raise salaries to keep up.
I don't know what world you live in when you think only those with money move out of the state :)

i'm so confused. you talk about 'money CA people bring', but then that last bit 'I don't know what world you live in when you think only those with money move out of the state'. feels a little selective and dependent on the particular argument you are trying to make at the time.

and just out of curiosity, were you born where you currently live?

Back