• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Share your Personal Photography Pictures. (NSFW images must be linked & labelled)

It's funny. With the sensitivity of the modern CCDs, we can get these wonderful star field shots.

I was in Death Valley last month - no moon.
We went out to the Devils Golf Course to try night photography.

It. Was. So. Flippin'. Dark.

How dark was it? I couldn't figure out what the ambient light was - it was from the freaking stars. :wtf

I've never seen the Andromeda Galaxy with my naked eye - and I've traveled down to King City ( towards Coalinga off 198 ) - a very dark area to try star fields before. I couldn't see it in King City.

But I could make out the smudge of Andromeda in DV.

Death Valley was just... wow. Wow. I'd love to go back with gear more suited for astrophotography - maybe during a meteor shower.

With a 4 second exposure at f/1.8, I actually overexposed for Andromeda.
m31dv2_small.jpg

Last edited:
Mmm... Death Valley... haven't been there since 2006:

416592_10200465751070828_1624141400_o.jpg

Very little light polution, great for playing around with light painting. :) Going to have to dig out some of the old photos.

With a 4 second exposure at f/1.8, I actually overexposed for Andromeda.

What kind of lens was that? I mean, that..that..that's pretty darn big.

That's a seriously amazing shot, to think that there's this "galaxy" just "sitting" there.

That's a seriously amazing shot, to think that there's this "galaxy" just "sitting" there.

Dude I hate to break it to you.

You might want to sit down.

Andromeda is heading straight for us.

No kidding. Never mind these silly asteroid movies on the tv. Andromeda, a galaxy, is going to collide with Virgo, our galaxy. boom!
Ok ok its only about 6billion years away.

Dude I hate to break it to you.

You might want to sit down.

Andromeda is heading straight for us.

No kidding. Never mind these silly asteroid movies on the tv. Andromeda, a galaxy, is going to collide with Virgo, our galaxy. boom!

yea, but look how little it is, I'll just step out of the way. When it gets here maybe I can put it in a box.

That was taken with my daughters camera, a Nikon D5200 (craigslist special!) and my Nikon 85mm lens.

In the night sky, it's supposed to appear larger than the moon.
When I saw the smudge of it in Death Valley, you wouldn't think it's as big as it is... it seems 1/4 the size of the moon.

6230985836_6007b65532.jpg

So last night was a crap shoot. We've got a full moon just now doing a nice job of illuminating all the crap in the atmosphere. But it was frikkin baltic last night and relatively clear. So I stayed up late and froze me nads off for this my first go at the Rosette Nebula.

23359803575_0a14f800ce_b.jpg

:thumbup

Setup/exposure length/number of exposures?

Birds

Took a ride out to the Woodbridge Crane Reserve. Little late in the season for a lot of birds but had to try the new camera out.

Attachments

• IMG_0079.jpg
    IMG_0079.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0137.jpg
    IMG_0137.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0175.jpg
    IMG_0175.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0193.jpg
    IMG_0193.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0194.jpg
    IMG_0194.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 62
That was taken with my daughters camera, a Nikon D5200 (craigslist special!) and my Nikon 85mm lens.

In the night sky, it's supposed to appear larger than the moon.
When I saw the smudge of it in Death Valley, you wouldn't think it's as big as it is... it seems 1/4 the size of the moon.

Yea, it's counterintuitive that you can get that good of a picture of a galaxy with just an 85mm lens.

Awesome pics. Just pulled out the DSLR and charging the batteries. I'm no photog, but the camera can make me look better than I really am.

Here's a phone shot where many of you might recognize the location

attachment.php

Last edited:
Here's a phone shot where many of you might recognize the location

Funny, because of the lighting, this looks like a shot out of model railroading magazine, with the bridge being a miniature on a layout.

But I don't know if you can get a GSXR in HO scale.

It's a nice shot, love the water.

Made me remember this one

And this one

Attachments

• 23 (Medium).JPG
    23 (Medium).JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Back