• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

The official Barf UFC/MMA thread

That's amazing dude.

I am seriously considering getting into BJJ. Just turned 49 and haven't done any MA for decades. :laughing

I thoroughly recommend it. I just picked up jiu jitsu this year. I love it. It's polar opposite of what I know with karate. There were moments during the Machida seminar when he was teaching us grappling defense and techniques to get away from someone trying to take you down, I'm learning these techniques a striker would use to keep the fight standing but in my head I'm also thinking " NO, why would I want to shake you off? You're right where I want you." in my jiu-jitsu mind. It was also great because in traditional karate training, you are not worried about takedowns... You don't think about sprawling, you don't think about grabbing double overhooks. Lyoto kept using this explanation of imagine if there's an eye on your shoulder, that eye needs to look at the ground. He was describing the motion of someone shooting in on you for a takedown, you grab control of their arms, and the body motion to shake them off coming dropping your shoulder.

What I like about jiu-jitsu is that the techniques that you're being taught, you find out really quick how effective they are for you because you attempt to use them during live training/sparring. You learn immediately if have the technique or not. As opposed to karate, a striking discipline, to learn what is really effective, again you have to spar. But that involves getting punched and kicked. I started karate when I was 6 or 7. Did tournaments. Did not really like them whether I won or loss a match. Felt obligated because I was representing my school, and my parents expectations, whatever.

That's part of why I wanted to go to this seminar. One, sure I'm a Machida fan but you don't have to question if what you're learning actually works... I've seen his fights and what he and Chinzo were teaching us were techniques he's used so the effectiveness is proven. Also, I was partnering with other black belts to practice the techniques. We may be strangers but I trust the process of another black belt, that you've been in this for a long time, so you understand the discipline. We can spar and throw a bit of heat and keep it clean.

good fights tonight.

overeem got fuckin blasted... christ. Overeem has a suspect chin but that left from Ngannou would have put ANYBODY to sleep, I'm sure.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the room when Stipe saw that...

Last edited:
Stipe isn't phased, can't wait for that fight myself. Hopefully Franny doesnt get usada'd before that happens. :party

All the time Francis has been spending at the UFC Performance Institute in Vegas, I would sure hope he doesn't get busted for being dirty.

Only saw the under card, but the Cowboy fight and the Felder fight were both pretty awesome. I thought Felder was being an idiot, but apparently he knew what he was doing. Brutal!

I think Stipe is gonna hold onto the belt, but he better keep his head moving, fo'shizzle.

Yeah Felder was on the UFC unfiltered podcast yesterday and he pretty much said the same thing. So did Matt Serra. They all knew he was messing up and somehow survived and won anyway. haha

GSP vacates the MW title due to ulcerative colitis. I respect that. UC sounds pretty horrible, if that is in fact what he has, and I'd rather see him move on than hold up the show like other tools have and are doing (C-Mac).

I'm okay with this decision. He ain't trying to make up excuses and hold on to the belt knowing he has no real plans to defend it.

UFC 217 was a great event. Bisping is no longer champ holding up the division and we can move on. GSP can move on and so can the 185lb division. Whitaker vs Rockhold should be a great fight.

If I had to bet, I would bet on Rockhold. I still think he's the best Middleweight.

I don't see him taking this fight lightly the way he did his rematch with Bisping.

But hey... Whitaker is rightfully the champ for a reason so I won't be surprised if he adds Rockhold to his resume of KO's.

It's not like Cub had a bad fight. He was looking good. Ortega just got a hold of him and worked that slick jiu jitsu and that was that.

I was hoping Cub would KTFO that dude. :(

Cub's always on the cusp and has always been entertaining. I hope he sticks around.

Meh, that dude has easily been my biggest let down as a fan. I knew he was gettin finished by Ortega. He's a gatekeeper to the top.. 8? at this point.

Meh, that dude has easily been my biggest let down as a fan. I knew he was gettin finished by Ortega. He's a gatekeeper to the top.. 8? at this point.

True, he may never be 'ship material but he's been entertaining dating back to the WEC days. WEC guys get extra cred from me. :D

I thoroughly recommend it. I just picked up jiu jitsu this year. I love it. It's polar opposite of what I know with karate. There were moments during the Machida seminar when he was teaching us grappling defense and techniques to get away from someone trying to take you down, I'm learning these techniques a striker would use to keep the fight standing but in my head I'm also thinking " NO, why would I want to shake you off? You're right where I want you." in my jiu-jitsu mind. It was also great because in traditional karate training, you are not worried about takedowns... You don't think about sprawling, you don't think about grabbing double overhooks. Lyoto kept using this explanation of imagine if there's an eye on your shoulder, that eye needs to look at the ground. He was describing the motion of someone shooting in on you for a takedown, you grab control of their arms, and the body motion to shake them off coming dropping your shoulder.

What I like about jiu-jitsu is that the techniques that you're being taught, you find out really quick how effective they are for you because you attempt to use them during live training/sparring. You learn immediately if have the technique or not. As opposed to karate, a striking discipline, to learn what is really effective, again you have to spar. But that involves getting punched and kicked. I started karate when I was 6 or 7. Did tournaments. Did not really like them whether I won or loss a match. Felt obligated because I was representing my school, and my parents expectations, whatever.

That's part of why I wanted to go to this seminar. One, sure I'm a Machida fan but you don't have to question if what you're learning actually works... I've seen his fights and what he and Chinzo were teaching us were techniques he's used so the effectiveness is proven. Also, I was partnering with other black belts to practice the techniques. We may be strangers but I trust the process of another black belt, that you've been in this for a long time, so you understand the discipline. We can spar and throw a bit of heat and keep it clean.

Sorry just got to this, but thanks! I am seriously considering it.

Maybe do the Xbox version

This is likely best advice! :rofl:rofl:rofl

:thumbup

Lawler is a fuckin monster. Hope he retires before it's too late.

Back