• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

The official Barf UFC/MMA thread

since we are building mmsa fighters and talking technique, am I the only one that sees how much BJJ is falling away? it seems less and less important each event, each year sans that brasil event wtf was up with that lol)

is it simply that the few effective subs, all the counters are known? or does wrestling sort of dominate the position situation? also, with judges apparently awarding the top position as more important (even when guys in guard are actually more active) are guys moving away from gaurd offense?

imma just leave this here for you and go read some more sherdog :laughing
[youtube]Qa077_8H2Lg[/youtube]

There's a few things about mma I don't understand.

1. Why guys continue to not protect their head. STOP FIGHTING WITH YOUR HANDS DOWN

2. Why more guys don't develop leg kicks. REAL leg kicks, not the pitter patter shit. Didnt anyone see karate kid 3? "man can't stand, he can't fight"

3, why more guys don't develop effective lead jabs. With four oz gloves jabs do real damage. Just ask koscheck

Occasionally you realize mma is still a really young sport

go fight in mma, let us know about your findings...

your contribution to the thread has been excellent today

aparently I cant even talk about which techniques form a beter base for which to enter into MMa, or build a gameplan around

3. Too many guys go for broke every punch. What bugs me is the lack of combos in so many fights. Left hook. Bob, weave, bob, weave. Overhand right. Bob, weave, bob weave. Fuck! Lots of good combos put together in several of the fights on this last card.

Gonna see more Rory MacDonald's coming up in the next few years.

This for sure.

your contribution to the thread has been excellent today

aparently I cant even talk about which techniques form a beter base for which to enter into MMa, or build a gameplan around

too many factors really. but if it were a ufc video game, id try to max out every ability.

since we are building mmsa fighters and talking technique, am I the only one that sees how much BJJ is falling away? it seems less and less important each event, each year (sans that brasil event wtf was up with that lol)

is it simply that the few effective subs, all the counters are known? or does wrestling sort of dominate the position situation? also, with judges apparently awarding the top position as more important (even when guys in guard are actually more active) are guys moving away from gaurd offense?

Olympic wrestler + Golden Gloves boxer with a mean kick. Excellent conditioning, core strength, balance and mental toughness, add good striking and reasonable sub defense and you've got yourself a winner.

Cain, Lesnar, Coture, Jones, Hughes, GSP, Chuck, Hendo, Benson, Weidman, etc, etc. Lots of current and former champs with good wrestling bases. Granted, some of them couldn't do now what they did then, but I think it's pretty obvious that wrestling is probably the most important thing to know in MMA.

As far as why it is effective, I touched on some of that already, but yeah, I think most people know how to defend BJJ now and a wrestler is more likely to be comfortable doing that.

Also having good hips to stay in top position can make it a real pain in the ass for a BJJ guy to do much of anything.

As far as the Silva/Weidman fight, I went back and watched it again a couple times.

Sorry, but Anderson got dominated. Weidman landed numerous solid shots on the ground, showed obvious ability to control Anderson on the ground (other than the botched sub attempt, tho at least he did attempt one, where Silva did not), and landed far more punches.

Silva landed a few minor strikes, a couple leg kicks and his high kicks got checked.

I'd have to go back and count, but Chris got a take down, had top control for a while, had a decent sub attempt, and landed numerous strikes both on the ground and on the feet.

Honestly, I think Silva was showboating in order to pump himself up as much as psych out Wiedman. He got tooled on the ground and soundly beat on the feet even before he got KTFO.

Do the re-match and I think Chris could absolutely pull it off again. Could Silva win the rematch? Definitely. But Weidman's win was no fluke.

Not immediately. I want to see Weidman fight again before the end of the year. And with the inevitible medical suspension Silva will get, plus his time to sit and ponder, plus the fact that he doesn't fight that often, I think they should feed Vitor to Weidman IF............ Vitor can get a license in Nevada. None of this Brazil bullshit.

True dat. Getting KTFO half way thru the second round isn't exactly close. :D I think Munoz needs another fight or two. Bisping has been waiting for a chance since forever. Vitor Roidfort? Either way, it shouldn't be in Brazil.

Oh he will get it if he wants it. Just IMO he doesn't deserve one. If chael had to work Hos way back, so should he. Just like Cain had too.

A decisive win means you shouldn't have to imedietly fight the guy again

I dont like automatic rematches... i think you should go down the line and get a fight or 2 first then get another shot... but from the post fight dana is insistent that thers' going to be a rematch...

First dos santos, now silva. The brazil cards Arebt going to make as much money without them lol

Srsly tho fuck brasil. I auto root against any Brazilian Lulz

Back