• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

The official Barf UFC/MMA thread

Chris was winning the fight up to the point when he checked the leg and created the break. Silva had been the man to beat and now the belt is held by a young, fierce fighter.

Tate was losing until she lost by the same move Roussey has beaten her and others before. The question is how can she be beat and by who? This makes the sport very exciting.

There are so many up and coming fighters. Just because some of the current title holders may not be active in 2014 doesn't mean that the year is going be dull.

Travis Lutter and Sonnen each looked close to winning also. Silva is not a guy you can count out, it may not of been as certain as it seemed for Weidman.

Tate is the real deal and so hot, which will be her real money maker.

There will be great fights in 2014 for a fight fan. I've been waiting since UFC1 and will continue watching them all. But obviously some PPV sell more than others, not every viewer is a big fan.

The hype of a Silva vs GSP or a Silva Light heavyweight bout are dead. Either one might have been the UFC's biggest payday.

Anyone remember Shamrock vs Ortiz III? The UFC is a business that well make money from whatever matches sell.

Last edited:
Silva the Spider was not performing well in this fight. He looked tentative and seemed to be suffering from experiencing his first loss in what, 11 years?

Misha's loss does not reduce her hotness but it does leave her out of the title match in the upcoming year. Hopefully she will have to work her way back up which will mean that she will have to get in the octagon with the TUF winner-Pena(?). We shall see how that works out for her.

The business might suffer from a reduction in PPV generated income yet the sport will continue to emerge.

How many times has UFC given a title shot to a 2 time loser to the same fighter? I can't recall one... Tate lost her belt in Strikeforce to Rousey, and now lost a second time to her.

Zingano will be the next contender, and for Tate, the road back to Rousey (if it ever happens) will have to go through Cat (another rematch to a fighter she lost to). That's a tough road...

Love that Barnett came in looking like a fat slob lol is there any less of an imposing heavyweight presence than him

There's a few things I've ways wondered about mma.

1. Why guys don't develOp a more effective lead jab, ala gsp

2. Why guys don't knee check leg kicks, like Weidman did.

In TKD you knee check kicks all the time. I've seen more than one broken foot from a well done knee check

Last edited:
How many times has UFC given a title shot to a 2 time loser to the same fighter?

Not the exact situation but Frank Mir got his fair share of chances.
I'm not saying Silva would get the next shot but he would certainly get another.

I bet they'll start, the sport is constantly evolving.

In TKD you knee check kicks all the time. I've seen more than one broken foot from a well done knee check

2. Some do, most don't, especially early in the fight. Picking up a leg like that can leave you open to a takedown if you're not totally prepared to defend it.

"I want to say thank you to all my fans and friends to support me at this moment. I wish a great and happy 2014 to all. Thank you". - Anderson 'The Spider' Silva

1524700_10152120893291276_1558025523_n.jpg

In regards to 1:

This is what I was thinking in the Tate/Rousey fight. Tate was winging punches, badly. I know I'll get plenty of crap for this, but here goes... Rousey is obviously the best of her group, but it shows how shallow WMMA is currently. No one should be able to win every single one of their fights by arm bar. Its ridiculous. I can't stand Rousey, but she wins. Everyone else needs to step up their games. Tate allowed herself to get tossed over and over and needed to jab. She held up better than most, but it was still a one-sided fight and was disappointed this was even a co-main event.

As for 2:

A lot of people will say this is two flukes in a row for Chris, but I don't agree. He did exactly right what he did wrong in his last fight (even tho I don't think the first fight was a fluke either) and Silva paid for it, dearly. I think a lot of people don't check like that because they're afraid of getting taken down, but if you're confident in your TDD and/or ground game, its another tool to use. Obviously Chris wasn't afraid of Silva's ground game.

I'm gona call major BS if they put him up against Vitor "Roidrage" Belfort in Brazil. They cannot have that fight there; dude is juiced beyond belief, but I think Chris can still handle him.

Travis Browne.... legit. Barnett... gatekeeper. Needs to lay off the Krispy Kreme, too.

Loved seeing Porier beat down Brandao. Overall a great card.

How many times has UFC given a title shot to a 2 time loser to the same fighter? I can't recall one... Tate lost her belt in Strikeforce to Rousey, and now lost a second time to her.

Zingano will be the next contender, and for Tate, the road back to Rousey (if it ever happens) will have to go through Cat (another rematch to a fighter she lost to). That's a tough road...

I think Tate knows this and has been working it to go the way of the Sonnen. She's not a threat to Cat ,nor Rousey, and she won't be wearing a belt anytime soon. (if ever again)

Vitor / Weidman would be a pretty good fight. I think Weidman is a little more predictable/reliable but Vitor has been on a TRT rage roll. :wow

Great card. Loved seeing Brown demolish that fat guy.

Loved seeing Poirer whip Brandao, who was fat as hell as well.

Tate was pretty successful going forward, wish she could have pulled it off.

Not satisfied with Silva fight, and here's why:

We've seen Silva lose many many many first rounds. Weid ain't the first guy to lay on top, drop a few punches, only to come out in the second to a guy who used the first round to range/figure a guy out. It's Silva's MO.

Despite Weid trying to take credit for the leg break and act like he meant to do it, it was an unfortunate accident and pure luck on Weid's part. This has happened many times in combat sports and Muay Thai. It can happen to anyone.

The idea that Weid trained to break legs with his knee is utterly laughable.

And, Kevin, GSP has that great superman jab because he follows it with the best takedowns in the history of MMA, and throws it knowing nobody is going to take him down. And example of someone with a better more effective jab is your boy Nick Diaz, however it goes away against GSP because of, and ONLY because of, the takedowns.
When he got against a guy who could take him down, and wasn't afraid of his takedowns (Johnny Hendricks) GSP's jab didn't look so fabulous then, did it? Because it can be countered by a big right hand, which is precisely why Georges face was so fucked up.

No one can say Chris intentionally broke Anderson's leg, but the fact is, it was not pure luck. It wasn't pure luck that he KTFO Anderson either. Anderson has great head movement, even with his hands down. Clowning is part of his game... don't think for a second that Anderson doesn't take his fights seriously. He knows he's good, he knows he fucks with peoples' heads, but Chris didn't fall for it and ended up punchifying his face. Chris didn't check the kicks in the last fight and he did this time, and it turned out pretty bad for Silva.

Anderson was in trouble in the first round of this last fight, too, more so than in the Luter, Hendo or Chael fights.

Yes, it was a bizzare ending to the fight, but Chris beat him again, fair and square and probably would have done so even if Anderson hadn't broken his leg. Put them together again and I wager you'd have the same result.

Sure, not pure luck. He picked up his leg. He checked a leg kick just like everybody else checks leg kicks. Nothing special at all about what he did.

Didn't look like Silva was "in trouble" to me at all. He was performing off the bottom just like he was against Okami. He knocked Okami out from that position. Sure, there was no doubt he was in a fight against a top fighter.

Yes, Chris got his hand raised. But, as a fight fan, I found the win totally unsatisfying. Wanted to see Weid beat him without some kind of freak injury ending the fight.

Face it: there are still going to be doubts because there should be doubts. It wasn't a submission. It wasn't a knockout. It wasn't a decision. It was a fighter unable to continue due to freak injury, resulting in a TKO.

If you are satisfied with that, fine! I am not satisfied with that and would like to see it again if AS heals up and is game for it, and given his record and everything he has proved in the UFC, I think he deserves to get it if he wants it.

Not hating on Weid. Dudes awesome.

Silva would just get destroyed again

And anyone who's done taekwondo knows checking kicks is a skill

Last edited:
This is probably going to be debated until the end of time.. IMHO this "win" was more of a technicality than anything else. What happened was unfortunate for Anderson, and MMA fans alike. Checking kicks is in fact a skill but fighters don't check kicks to break legs. They check kicks to reduce damage taken, and deter additional kicks.

Silva would just get destroyed again

And anyone who's done taekwondo knows checking kicks is a skill

TKD is so legit!

Forget muay thai, I am watching TKD matches from here on out! :laughing

This is probably going to be debated until the end of time.. IMHO this "win" was more of a technicality than anything else. What happened was unfortunate for Anderson, and MMA fans alike. Checking kicks is in fact a skill but fighters don't check kicks to break legs. They check kicks to reduce damage taken, and deter additional kicks.

This^^^ :thumbup

Back