• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

The Retire and Relocate Thread™

If it's the neighborhood I think it is, it's a little bit sucky. It has that 2008 boom-and-bust-broke-people-buying-nice-houses look to it.

There are some good housing deals to be had around Berryessa / Clearlake. It's hard to tell what's decent from what's methy.

Another article:
traffic.jpg

https://theguadalajarapost.com/2020...rching-for-info-on-how-to-move-out-of-the-us/

Last edited:
My old boss moved to Portugal and retired from biotech at age 45. I think she teaches English now to keep busy.

I can't see myself living abroad. Some places do look hella nice though.

My old boss moved to Portugal and retired from biotech at age 45. I think she teaches English now to keep busy.

Apparently, the riding in Portugal is great, as is the riding throughout the Iberian peninsula.

My dad served on a submarine in the US Navy during WWII. When the war ended he was stationed in Australia. He met a girl on the beach, they got married and had 4 kids, and then we all moved to the US when I was 4 years old.

That was good enough to make me an Australian citizen, so moving here with my wife 5 years ago was an easy option. They speak English, healthcare is cheap, people are friendly, shootings are rare, voting is compulsory, there's lots to see and do. Life is good.

One of my high school buddies did well in the bond market, and retired to Thailand years ago. He absolutely loves it there, and says that a couple thousand a month makes you pretty comfortable, and several, very comfortable.

My dad served on a submarine in the US Navy during WWII. When the war ended he was stationed in Australia. He met a girl on the beach, they got married and had 4 kids, and then we all moved to the US when I was 4 years old.

That was good enough to make me an Australian citizen, so moving here with my wife 5 years ago was an easy option. They speak English, healthcare is cheap, people are friendly, shootings are rare, voting is compulsory, there's lots to see and do. Life is good.

Awesome!

Apparently, the riding in Portugal is great, as is the riding throughout the Iberian peninsula.

The roads are smooth!

I rented a car in Lisbon and drove to the Algarve - its like driving from SF through central California and ending up in San Diego. The roads were amazingly smooth and in excellent condition.

One of my high school buddies did well in the bond market, and retired to Thailand years ago. He absolutely loves it there, and says that a couple thousand a month makes you pretty comfortable, and several, very comfortable.

Thailand is man-heaven. I don’t think foreigners can own property there or its very difficult to do so. But yeah, very cheap to live there. The humidity would be annoying.

My wife is from the Philippines and has two places to stay when we visit. Maybe I'd go there for a couple of months at a time but my kids are here and it's important to me to be able to get together for dinner on a Friday night once in a while.

Those photos were taken on the only sunny day in the last six months.

:laughing

It still looks nice. When we rode through in September is was pretty nice area. Close to the coast on the bay.

Cool area.

Attachments

• 53421A15-71AE-4B79-A7CA-5B0081DD39CA.jpeg
    53421A15-71AE-4B79-A7CA-5B0081DD39CA.jpeg
    96.3 KB · Views: 18
Good catch on the track. :thumbup

101 is not like our 101 but yeah.

Still an awesome area with more sunny days than not I believe.

Back