• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

The Retire and Relocate Thread™

I looked at El Dorado Hills on zillow and some other sites.

Now I get listings sent to me via email that I can either block or ignore or look at. I keep looking. Some nice places at a good price compared to here.

I looked at El Dorado Hills on zillow and some other sites.
Both Folsom and El Dorado Hills are great towns. I would have considered either of those two except that it would have cost me about another $250K for an equivalent house. Lots of good riding nearby both street and dirt.

Wife's best friend retired there. Only place that is affordableish that she has even mentioned being interested in. The others are Who The Fuck Do You Think I Am money. :laughing

By the time I retire I think most places that are affordable and desirable will be gone.

Franklin, Tn and Brentwood, Tn were on my list but have doubled in price. Still with no state income tax and 2a friendly it's an option.

..t.

Those places are also basically California Junior. If you're trying to get away from people like you'll find in Danville, that's absolutely the wrong place in Tennessee to be looking at. Keep in mind that this state is not polarized when it comes to lifestyles. It's not going to be all or nothing depending on where you live. The one major exception is Memphis. Memphis is an utter shithole. Period. Look further east and southeast from the Nashville metropolitan area and you'll be pleasantly surprised and what you'll find.

Gym bro just revealed he has a second home in Franklin and described it as Danville2.0.

He further said home have just about doubled since 2017-18, which I verified on zillow.

I’m going to look into Franklin - apparently no income tax.

Oops, I should have wrote “no income tax in TN.”

Yes, but isn't the quality of their feet important to you? From what I hear and see, they have really standard and boring feet.

Whenever I visit, I count their toes and there's always ten I see.

I have never been able to wrap my head around the concept of retiring in a new place, can someone care to explain?

If you live and work in one area for 40 years how do you suddenly get up and go somewhere else? Do you make new friends again? Find a new gym and grocery store? Leave behind your favorite restaurant or motorcycle road? It seems like too much work to retire someplace else.

I have never been able to wrap my head around the concept of retiring in a new place, can someone care to explain?

If you live and work in one area for 40 years how do you suddenly get up and go somewhere else? Do you make new friends again? Find a new gym and grocery store? Leave behind your favorite restaurant or motorcycle road? It seems like too much work to retire someplace else.

$$$

Yes, but isn't the quality of their feet important to you?

I'm more a metric guy anyway, so the quality of the feet aren't that important.

Obviously depends on the situation.

Some folks just leave to leave.

"I never liked living here, but the money was good."

Others leave to be with family. Parent with their children. Older siblings staying together.

Some just for the raw money of it. A friend (not retired) just moved to Vegas. Works remote, got his first paycheck, and apparently his company isn't going to readjust his salary to the new locale. He said with the the tax changes, he just gave himself a raise and bought a house in the process.

He's been a bit of a digital vagabond for awhile anyway, moving back and forth from So Cal to No Cal for work. Was never really settled anywhere. And, finally, his a parents on in Vegas, so...it all worked out for him.

None of my friends who have talked about moving out of CA when they retire have done so yet. One friend doubled down and bought a new house in OC. Another, his wife is still working, so his plans to move to AZ are up in the air, dunno if they're go or not. But, they might.

I'll be happy to explain what I went through when I retired.

First off, I had lived in Pleasanton (Bay Area) for 23 years, then moved up to Folsom in Sacramento County for work reasons. I didn't sell the Pleasanton house because the market was down when I left, so I rented it out (I owned it outright) and had house payments in Folsom that were lower than the rent I was taking in. I got laid off a few years before I had planned to retire, looked for work for a while (i.e., exactly 6 months while I could collect unemployment), then came to the conclusion that I didn't want to keep working anymore. My heart was just not in it.

My wife and I spent a month or two figuring out how I could pull off being retired, and the ONLY thing that worked was to sell BOTH houses. I spent about a month getting the Folsom house ready to sell, sold it, then moved back to Pleasanton to put in my time in that house. I really liked living in Folsom, and had really liked Pleasanton too until I left there for five years. When I came back it was just too busy with rush hour being pretty much any time it was light outside. I had to live there for two years to keep from paying a hugh amount of taxes for how much more than $500K my house had appreciated since I bought it. My tax guy said that those two years were worth $158K, but the house went up more than another $100K too. I lived there for two years and one week, just to make sure the IRS couldn't claim I had come up short.

During the two years in Pleasanton, it felt like I was working half-time just fixing the place up. It needed a lot of repairs inside and out including repainting every room, replacing all floor coverings, and much more. When we had one more year to go, my wife and I made a list of six possible places to relocate, in four different states. We visited each of those areas and crossed them off one by one as we found issues with them. Folsom was on the list, but it would have cost me about $250K more than moving to Idaho would have for an equivalent home.

In the end, we chose the Boise/Meridian area south of I-84. My wife grew up in Boise, so it wasn't totally foreign, and we have friends and relatives in the area. One of the requirements for any place we chose was decent dual sport and adventure bike riding. This area was the top choice in that particular area.

For your last questions, yes, we had to make new friends, even though we had some old ones in the area, we had to find a new gym and grocery store. It's not as good regarding favorite restaurants, but we've found some we like. There is not a single Chinese restaurant in the whole valley as good as what was available in both places I lived in California, but there are better Barbecure places, and Italian, and probably Mexican too. And even though there are not as many good paved twisty roads nearby as in the Bay Area (which I believe to be true for every other place in the entire country), there are tons of great dirt roads around, and that's what I most enjoy riding on.

There you go, for what it's worth. :cool

Last edited:
I'll be happy to explain what I went through when I retired.

First off, I had lived in Pleasanton (Bay Area) for 23 years, then moved up to Folsom in Sacramento County for work reasons. I didn't sell the Pleasanton house because the market was down when I left, so I rented it out (I owned it outright) and had house payments in Folsom that were lower than the rent I was taking in. I got laid off a few years before I had planned to retire, looked for work for a while (i.e., exactly 6 months while I could collect unemployment), then came to the conclusion that I didn't want to keep working anymore. My heart was just not in it.

My wife and I spent a month or two figuring out how I could pull off being retired, and the ONLY thing that worked was to sell BOTH houses. I spent about a month getting the Folsom house ready to sell, sold it, then moved back to Pleasanton to put in my time in that house. I really liked living in Folsom, and had really liked Pleasanton too until I left there for five years. When I came back it was just too busy with rush hour being pretty much any time it was light outside. I had to live there for two years to keep from paying a hugh amount of taxes for how much more than $500K my house had appreciated since I bought it. My tax guy said that those two years were worth $158K, but the house went up more than another $100K too. I lived there for two years and one week, just to make sure the IRS couldn't claim I had come up short.

During the two years in Pleasanton, it felt like I was working half-time just fixing the place up. It needed a lot of repairs inside and out including repainting every room, replacing all floor coverings, and much more. When we had one more year to go, my wife and I made a list of six possible places to relocate, in four different states. We visited each of those areas and crossed them off one by one as we found issues with them. Folsom was on the list, but it would have cost me about $250K more than moving to Idaho would have for an equivalent home.

In the end, we chose the Boise/Meridian area south of I-84. My wife grew up in Boise, so it wasn't totally foreign, and we have friends and relatives in the area. One of the requirements for any place we chose was decent dual sport and adventure bike riding. This area was the top choice in that particular area.

For your last questions, yes, we had to make new friends, even though we had some old ones in the area, we had to find a new gym and grocery store. It's not as good regarding favorite restaurants, but we've found some we like. There is not a single Chinese restaurant in the whole valley as good as what was available in both places I lived in California, but there are better Barbecure places, and Italian, and probably Mexican too. And even though there are not as many good paved twisty roads nearby as in the Bay Area (which I believe to be true for every other place in the entire country), there are tons of great dirt roads around, and that's what I most enjoy riding on.

There you go, for what it's worth. :cool

Good stuff. Thanks for taking the time to write.

I think for many it is just a financial decision. If you own a home in the Bay Area it affords a chance to retire to a more secure future.

I have deep routes in Palo Alto.. so my plan is to try to stick it out.

Even though:
Traffic has gotten worse.
The cost to live here is high.
State and other taxes are trying to absorb every penny.

If I was willing to move I could really retire, but I don't so won't for a while longer even if I am cool to get the Denny's senior discount.

I have seen plenty of high school friends move away to retire for financial considerations. Florida, Oregon, Washington, NV, AZ and TN too. I get why and they seem to like their spots so more power to them.

All those things you brought up are of concern to me.

I love/hate the bay area & California.

I can sell my home sooner, take the equity and enjoy life but would have to relocate.

I can work longer and remain in the BA but why do that if I can exfil in 4-5 years instead of 6-7*?

*Higher probability I am found brown-side up at work.

Yes, but isn't the quality of their feet important to you? From what I hear and see, they have really standard and boring feet.

A foot file, Shea butter and a bottle of NARS is like a nut and bolt, frame off resto.

I think there's a certain personality type required and also a window in life. I knew these two old cowboy brothers that lived together in a complete shithole of a house. It was the kind of place where it didn't really matter whether if there was a front door or not, but it was on hundreds of acres and they owned it outright. They could have sold it for millions and lived out their days on a beach drinking mai tai's and getting frontsy massages. Nope. Too old and curmudgeonly. Ain't going nowhere.

I think there's a certain personality type required and also a window in life. I knew these two old cowboy brothers that lived together in a complete shithole of a house. It was the kind of place where it didn't really matter whether if there was a front door or not, but it was on hundreds of acres and they owned it outright. They could have sold it for millions and lived out their days on a beach drinking mai tai's and getting frontsy massages. Nope. Too old and curmudgeonly. Ain't going nowhere.

Late 1970s, a farmer finally sold his ranch. Located near Northgate High School in Walnut Creek. I used to see him ride his horse to the Safeway at Oak Grove/Ygnacio (now a Whole Foods). He must’ve been 80+. He made a fortune. Could have sold out earlier but who knows what motivates a person. Sometimes money doesn’t mean much to some people.

One big point about a new spot to retire in that RV fulltimers know.

Spend a full year living in the town/neighborhood before you buy in.
I find myself with little patience for weekend tourists, I try to avoid town centers/shopping/events. Midweek works, I learned this with ski resorts.

Kelly and I are shopping for a Class A right now. Plenty of room to park it here at the house, the shop is wired for 30-amp as well so we can plug in and connect water if we need more room for people to stay and we can tow the Jeep behind it for weekend trips. No need to worry about if the hotel will take the dog and we already know where everything is. :thumbup

Kelly and I are shopping for a Class A right now. Plenty of room to park it here at the house, the shop is wired for 30-amp as well so we can plug in and connect water if we need more room for people to stay and we can tow the Jeep behind it for weekend trips. No need to worry about if the hotel will take the dog and we already know where everything is. :thumbup

Is your shop wired for 30A for a welder or other equipment, or is it specifically for an RV? Welders are typically 30A/240V while RVs are 30A/120V and it DOES make a difference! A typical home 30A outlet is connected to L1, L2, and Ground whereas an RV 30A outlet is connected to L1, Ground, and Neutral. When we move we'll be wiring ours for 50A since our Class A uses 50A 120v/240V power.

Back