• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

The Retire and Relocate Thread™

I was in the UK a couple of weeks ago. I'd never ever considered going back permanently but OMG, BREXIT has made everything relatively cheap and much more tempting than I'd ever thought. The pound has cratered and so have property prices. Everybody is moaning and bitching about heating cost but they are a fraction of what PG&E steals from us. Restaurants are fabulous and inexpensive (compared to Bay Area prices) - but that's a whole new thread.

I almost wish I hadn't looked but we could get a fabulous 5 bed 3 garage property on 1-2 acres on the southwest coast for 2/3's of what our place in here is worth and have enough left over for a newish 50ft boat, that we could park in Portugal or the Med

As a bonus, you already speak the local dialect!

Ironically, they think I sound "like a yank" :laughing
So much has changed in 30 years, that it almost seems like foreign country to me.

Thailand is man-heaven. I don’t think foreigners can own property there or its very difficult to do so. But yeah, very cheap to live there. The humidity would be annoying.

Thailand has a lot of problems which drag on you after a while, not least of which is the worsening pm 2.5 pollution. You can own a condo under the farang quota but not land, unless you want to setup it up under a company arrangement.

If you want to ride I would look elsewhere, if the heat doesn't dissuade you the absolute road carnage statistics will.

Finally it's not cheap anymore, especially if you want anything western/quality.

Go to Thailand when you are young, not old.

How about 2.2-acre vacant lot in Orinda for 290 grrrr?

Park an RV a la Keenu Reeves or build a tiny homr?
What do you think of this vacant lot? https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/38-Dos-Osos-Orinda-CA-94563/2103704778_zpid/?utm_source=txtshare
23b326174ab8d1308808e320777d01b5-cc_ft_768.webp

Last edited:
That cheap in Orinda? Look at the price history... I bet that lot has some restrictions that make it unsuitable.

My sister married an Irish citizen (dual w/US). They decided to sell here and bought a house there and retired. She just sent in her citizenship application the other day.

My company has an office in the UK, and i was hoping that would be an IN into Ireland/EU, but then brexit happened.

To me, too, honestly. :dunno

I couldn't live in the UK anymore though I only lived there as a kid and that was in the sixties at a boarding school which was, of course, horrific, but I spent vacations at my Aunt's in Hurstpierpoint which was lovely.

I love visiting family there but it just feels claustrophobic to me.

There's plenty of countyside in the uk. I laugh a bit when people talk about wanting to leave california for certain reasons, because you can "leave california" by living an hour to the east.

There's a reason they make the taxes so friendly down here! :laughing

Seriously though, it's beautiful here and worth the high sales tax to get the lack of an income tax.

Most places aren't into that, incentivizing less spending.

Lookie what I got, , ,

South Dakota is replacing its plates, I get three types, they are replacing two, trailers plates were replaced about 5 years ago.

Less blue sky, and overexposed (washed out) lower graphic give it a brighter look as a reflector for the moto plate. Red lettering, and motto.

Attachments

• IMG_4752.jpg
    IMG_4752.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 10
The new graphic is cool.

My wife has been going through a torn supraspinatus thing. I am in for about $350usd total now with Ortho consultS, MRI and physiotherapy. She is going in for surgery in the near future and I suspect it will be $5k or less....

I may have the same ailment - forced neg rep on DB lateral raise.

How did your wife injure herself?

$350 for all that? Where do you live? What medical ins do you have?

Back