• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Time to get Fit thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
K, it's time (again) to kick this bod into gear. Don't like the dad bod, my lack of flexibility, and just lack of overall fitness (53, 6'2", 230). This is my stake in the ground, here we go...

Reached out to my former trainer, getting things lined up for 1:1 training starting in mid to late August. I know that will kick my ass for sure, so I need to get things rolling before that.

Leaving for vacation at the end of the week and I am going to use that time to start establishing some good habits. First and foremost, increasing my water consumption and reducing starch/carb/sugars. I'm naturally a grazer so I need to make sure I have heathy options to grab and munch. So more water, greens and protein, and blow it all on schooners of beer next week. The week after that, the booze is gonna have be left to special occasions (like rallies :teeth).

As far as meantime workouts, I'm starting the "7 min workout" today (with the intention of continuing it 5-6 days a week), with a warm-up that incorporates stretching and core work. I think this will help my body get moving again. I'm noticing that my 45 year old brain does not match up with my 53 year old body. I injure myself way more easily than before, and mostly from pushing too hard too soon. Better to work out the kinks before going all-star...

I find that the hardest part is getting the routine going. That's where I need the most help. What do y'all use for motivation? How do you not let one day slip into two into three...?

Last edited:
1/2 Marathon Training

I find motivation in actually signing up for an event. Then i “can’t “ let myself down. :thumbup

That being said, i signed up for the Long Beach Marathon / 1/2 Marathon in October. I reset my my TrainingPeaks training plan to that as my race date. I have been running all year but now i have a goal. 2:30 as a goal is lofty but I have 13 more weeks of training to get ready for it.

I find that the hardest part is getting the routine going. That's where I need the most help. What do y'all use for motivation? How do you not let one day slip into two into three...?

Change, show up, stand at the machine/ bike/ run/ whatever. THEN and only then, make the decision to "go home". Make sure to not give up before even getting everything ready. Also, be realistic in the very beginning on your weekly commitment and start with that, not some hyper crazy schedule that burns you out in 3 weeks. I suggest 3 days a week, weekends off for about 6 months. IME.

Make it a minimum of 2 on your shitty weeks.

What do y'all use for motivation?

A combination of:

Mirrors
This thread
Certain IG accounts
Desire to live long and healthy
Confidence of walking shirtless in public
Looking and feeling fit
“Euro-fit”’clothes
Better rest from healthy eating and exercise

Change, show up, stand at the machine/ bike/ run/ whatever. THEN and only then, make the decision to "go home". Make sure to not give up before even getting everything ready. Also, be realistic in the very beginning on your weekly commitment and start with that, not some hyper crazy schedule that burns you out in 3 weeks. I suggest 3 days a week, weekends off for about 6 months. IME.

Make it a minimum of 2 on your shitty weeks.

Good advice. Fake it till you make it!

Good advice. Fake it till you make it!

Thanks. It's so true...I'd get like half the workouts in (if that), if I didn't show up on site and then decide "well, I've gone this far..."

I use a home gym, and it's actually pretty easy to get motivated. Being retired, working out is one of my daily duties now. I just started doing chin ups again, after a long hiatus. Glad to see it's getting easier quickly. That first one was hardddd. Took me two weeks to get one done completely.

^ Go Ernie Go! :thumbup

Rough approximation of last evenings swim. trying to be ready for the Rock, gulp.

Attachments

• seabrightswim.jpg
    seabrightswim.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
GYM
Thu ~ June 8, 2021

15-Min Shoot Hoops (effective shoulder warm up exercise)
5x10 - Leg Ext
5x15 - Calf Raise
5x15 - Leg Press
5x10 - Straight Arm Pull Down
5x10 - Lat Pull
5x10 - DB Upright Row

FOOD

• Bagel & Cream Cheese
• Banana
• 2 Oranges
• Snickers Bar
• Pre Workout
• 9 Gummy Bears
• Post Workout
• Thai BBQ Skinless Chicken Thighs, Rice & Salad

MACROS

I am ashamed of myself LOL

Last edited:
I'm back to 3 days in the gym and 3 days riding, now that track season is over and I have more time for myself. It's going to be interesting for my bike ride this Saturday, it's supposed to be 113 degrees which is 1 degree hotter than my hottest ride last summer.

Thanks guys. I'm cautiously optimistic I can pull off the alcatraz tri. My knee is probably 80% to 85% back to normal. Ernie is just a bad ass in general. I wanna see him get ripped and flex on the youngsters.

Thanks guys. I'm cautiously optimistic I can pull off the alcatraz tri. My knee is probably 80% to 85% back to normal. Ernie is just a bad ass in general. I wanna see him get ripped and flex on the youngsters.

When ernie does a push up, his body is still and the Earth moves down.

Last edited:
I got these last week and used them the first time:

https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-tricep-strap-nylon-black

rogue-tricep-strap-header_3.jpg

Way better than traditional ropes for Triceps. Isolation is much easier to attain and they're better on my wrists. I give them a 9/10.

I also recently received and setup my Garmin watch. Previously I was using the iwatch for workouts and it's ok, but nothing spectacular. The Garmin has been excellent so far and I've only touched on about 15% of what it has to offer. way, way worth it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back