• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Time to get Fit thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ YESSS!!!! Its such s good feeling to enjoy a jog or light run. It seems like it took me forever to get there but, its a very happy place to be. It feels a bit like being a kid. Sounds a little crazy but a trail run can can be a thrill. Get it!!

Last edited:
im buying some trail running shoes after i get back from italy. even if it’s just a few hundred feet at a time, i could not manage that at the start of this year.

You're gonna be our 2023 Fitness thread winner, Remma.

thanks, Berto! aren’t we all winning if we’re either maintaining or improving our health and fitness?

i added hiking to my exercises. i love it. i find that i run short sections of trail simply because it feels like it. this is a really big deal for me not to feel like i’m dying if i run.

today i crossed a big psychological milestone for myself and also am at 60 lbs lost this year.

i’m very very very happy. i feel energized and joyous.
You're doing great!

I used to listen to music while riding my bike (very hard, my legs burn the whole 38-40 minutes), now I'm listening to audio books, it really helps me push hard while not having the time crawl by.

You're doing great!

I used to listen to music while riding my bike (very hard, my legs burn the whole 38-40 minutes), now I'm listening to audio books, it really helps me push hard while not having the time crawl by.

Thanks. I listen to music a lot of times. It increases my walking pace considerably but I only do that when in inhabited areas.

(RAMMSTEIN has been my go to recently)

When I hike, I leave my ears open because I don't want to get caught by surprise. I keep myself on relatively high alert for sounds of animals, etc. Especially if I can't get to the trail before dusk.

Wireless earbuds, a spotify account and my Garmin have been transformative in my training. The three have made a huge difference in keeping me motivated and engaged. I can't recommend them enough.

thanks, Berto! aren’t we all winning if we’re either maintaining or improving our health and fitness?

Yeah, look: Someone's gotta stand on the top step. We can't all fit. It's got to be you for 2023. Just make sure your nose is clear of goblins for the podium pics!

Thanks. I listen to music a lot of times. It increases my walking pace considerably but I only do that when in inhabited areas.

(RAMMSTEIN has been my go to recently)

When I hike, I leave my ears open because I don't want to get caught by surprise. I keep myself on relatively high alert for sounds of animals, etc. Especially if I can't get to the trail before dusk.
Totally understandable.

I don't put any sound on when I'm on the road, want to hear cars coming up behind me, but once I'm off the road, the book goes on and the time passes faster. Prior, my mind was always flickering among many features around me and time slowed down so the rides were long and hard.

I also use the audio books when doing yard work, it makes it less odious. :laughing

Yeah, look: Someone's gotta stand on the top step. We can't all fit. It's got to be you for 2023. Just make sure your nose is clear of goblins for the podium pics!

I better stay on top of my progress then. I'll put my "trophy" next to my BARFie. :teeth

I use a bluetooth cycling helmet which doesn't cover my ears and I listen to music. I've heard others recommend bone conduction headphones because it doesn't cover your ears...sound isn't as good but much safer.

I saw a movie with Ana de Armas in it and I think I should lose some fat if I am ever going to date her. What advice would you give? I didn't eat ice cream after dinner tonight so that's a great start. I think.

Gain muscle first...or better said, get on a fitness program that involves building muscle mass. You'll burn more calories @rest and during cardio, but the best muscle workouts can be cardio too. Cardio's considered "medium impact" and resistance training is considered "high impact". Impact = load on the body. A guy who I thinks great for us older guys is Jeff Cavaliere.

https://www.youtube.com/@athleanx/featured

All that being said, Weird Science had a much better solution on how to date Ana de Almas.

I continue to surprise myself that my cardio is "ok". Did Hawk Hill this morning with some buddies and then to B Patisserie for some croissants. I am not going to die of lung/heart issues TODAY! Maybe tomorrow ;)

The bridge was not windy and it was super nice out so none of my fear of the bridge kicking in today.

I just finished my final bike race of the year. I upped my training over the last 2 months to 5 days a week, averaging about 11hrs and 150miles. All my metrics are up and the feeling during the race supported all that. I felt good. I closed the gap to the winners by another 10min, even with a flat repair and losing the draft. It’s cool that see that what I’m doing is working.

- Race was 123mi, 9880ft of climbing
- Course was around 110mi of dirt, mostly gravel roads
- Finish time was 8:17, 49th mens overall and 8th/26 in age group
- Avg HR of 153bpm, Normalized Power 178w
- I drank 3.5L and consumed 2100Cal
- I managed this race with a camelbak and didn’t stop except for the flat

I’m still obsessed with gravel races. By next weekend, I’ll prob be signed up for 5 races before May.

Gain muscle first...or better said, get on a fitness program that involves building muscle mass. You'll burn more calories @rest and during cardio, but the best muscle workouts can be cardio too. Cardio's considered "medium impact" and resistance training is considered "high impact". Impact = load on the body. A guy who I thinks great for us older guys is Jeff Cavaliere.

https://www.youtube.com/@athleanx/featured

All that being said, Weird Science had a much better solution on how to date Ana de Almas.

English is so funny, how we constantly change the meaning of words. Impact used to mean pounding force on joints. Like running is high impact on knees and swimming is no impact. Now it’s synonymous with training load.

Last edited:
I just finished my final bike race of the year. I upped my training over the last 2 months to 5 days a week, averaging about 11hrs and 150miles. All my metrics are up and the feeling during the race supported all that. I felt good. I closed the gap to the winners by another 10min, even with a flat repair and losing the draft. It’s cool that see that what I’m doing is working.

- Race was 123mi, 9880ft of climbing
- Course was around 110mi of dirt, mostly gravel roads
- Finish time was 8:17, 49th mens overall and 8th/26 in age group
- Avg HR of 153bpm, Normalized Power 178w
- I drank 3.5L and consumed 2100Cal
- I managed this race with a camelbak and didn’t stop except for the flat

I’m still obsessed with gravel races. By next weekend, I’ll prob be signed up for 5 races before May.

English is so funny, how we constantly change the meaning of words. Impact used to mean pounding force on joints. Like running is high impact on knees and swimming is no impact. Now it’s synonymous with training load.

:hail:hail:hail:applause:applause:applause

You absolutely crushed it Robert.

Killed it Rob! Great to come here and read your result!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back