• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Time to get Fit thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks it was purely psychological barriers stopping me. Changing the pedals helped.

I am experiencing the same issue I had a year ago, my arms/hands go numb while riding. I had the bike professional fitted but i'm having issues. I have a strong core, I have to assume I need to raise the handles or whatever because it's not a good feeling.

Googling says it's called "Rider's Palsy".

Booked a follow-up fitting with my pro-bike fitter, Pedro. He checked his records and said I saw him 3 years ago but should have gone back after a few months for a follow-up lol

I find they have worked for me in the past when I was so warm I'd keep sweating even after a shower but only in warm weather places.

I think it might have been the food issue. I only had a PB&J sandwich for breakfast, then did the ride, then ate half a large chicken quesadilla with half an avocado and the same again for dinner. Tons of water though I was fully hydrated.

I've read a lot of about the all around health benefits and especially athletic recovery of full ice baths but I'm not sure I'm 'hard' enough to be able to handle an ice bath.

How long and how hard was the ride? How many calories does some software think you burned?

I'm a small guy and that amount of food would not be sufficient on any riding day.

I rode this morning. 70min, 18mi, 800Cal. I had a PB&J Bagel for breakfast, had 200Cal and 750ml on the ride, and drank a 250Cal shake before showering. I'm probably a little calorie deficient still. But thankfully it's now '1st Lunch' time :laughing

IMO, drinking straight water is a wasted chance to consume calories and salts - which is especially important for any ride with significant effort or >2hrs.

I have taken to finishing all my showers cold. Especially if it’s before bed and after a workout. It definitely helps me feel drowsy and get to sleep. Glad you’re riding again Jordan! I see your PR’s Robert. :thumbup

I think part of the reason why or what helps us fall asleep is a decrease in core body temp. If true, it makes sense that any elevated body temp could prevent sleep and any reduction could help sleep.

Thnx. I've been working intervals and higher power lately. Occasionally I fit in an attack on a fun segment, or rather can't stop myself from doing it :laughing

The Baja hurricane is supposed to dump on SD soon. I may get some forced rest days. Maybe I should go PR hunting right after, hmm.

It was only 45 min/10 miles. Mostly flat.

Says only 400 calories. I am 6' tall and 166 lbs, 13% body fat.

Gotcha. My previous posts were assuming a larger calorie expenditure. I'd think your body could sustain that 400Cal with "normal" eating.

Adding salts to your hydration may improve your recovery for the whole effort. That's the only other part missing from your experience that cyclists use often. Other than that, this may just be something that will go away with more fitness. Another handful of rides like that and your body will stop noticing an hour of riding.

Just reconfigured my Wahoo ELEMNT Bolt screens...they were all power oriented and I don't have power meter pedals installed anymore. And I've misplaced the Wahoo cadence meter since the pedals had that built in. My Polar heart rate monitor is also dead needs a new battery type I don't have.

The $400+ I spent on the power meter could have been used to buy a better bicycle but I still love it and it's fine for my needs. All these GCN videos I watched indicate you don't need any fancy stuff like at all if you're a casual non competitive rider anyway.

Not sure I need a cadence sensor but might get it again depending.

----

Roommate just loaded up his Mountain bike with a tent and sleeping bag and such to do a night of solo bicycle camping somewhere...he'll ride 50 miles just to get there since his ex-wife is borrowing the car right now.

Bikepacking is good times. I like it more than backpacking because you get to see larger areas. Unfortunately, it's also one of the most expensive ways to sleep in the woods :laughing. Bikes are expensive, bike bags are expensive, ultralight camping gear is expensive, campsites are now expensive, etc etc.

6W6hP2B.jpg

tHwPXWj.jpg

i1JCI5E.jpg

bdzfpaI.jpg

If you are going to venture off road, route choice is probably the most important part of bikepacking. A lot of forest services roads in CA have steep climbs. 20% climbs on dirt aren't as much fun when your bike is 40-60lbs.

I am quite sore in the legs today, trainer made me do a lot of reverse lunges holding dumbells. Final set was 45 lbs in each hand barely finished.

I wanted to ride today but may wait until tomorrow.

I've found R- Dbells way more punishing than fwd movements, too.

I am experiencing the same issue I had a year ago, my arms/hands go numb while riding. I had the bike professional fitted but i'm having issues. I have a strong core, I have to assume I need to raise the handles or whatever because it's not a good feeling.

Googling says it's called "Rider's Palsy".

Just noticed this post.

Hand numbness is usually caused by saddle position problems. Moving the bars higher can make it worse because it becomes easier to weight the bars.

The most common cause of hand pressure is the saddle being angled too nose-down. If you slide forward and constantly have to push yourself back while riding, this is absolutely the primary cause. Use the level app in your phone and adjust the saddle nose-up 1 degree at a time until you stop sliding forward.

The second cause is saddle too far forward. You butt needs to be some distance behind the bottom-bracket so that your pedaling can support your upper body and unweight your hands. Pedal at 75% effort and try to unweight your hands entirely. If your torso falls forward, the saddle is too far forward. I can put my hands behind my back without my torso falling forward. If your bike fitter set the saddle position by hanging a plumb bob from your knee, he is using dating techniques that at-best provides an ok starting position. That position is not set in stone. Move the saddle back in 5mm increments until you are satisfied with the weight on your hands. Lower the saddle 2-3mm for every 10mm the saddle moves back.

And the common cause that everyone deals with is incorrect hand position. The median and ulnar nerve run close to the middle of the wrist. If you rest your wrist on the bar while riding, you will get hand numbness. Make sure to turn your wrists outwards on the bike so you are holding onto the hoods more with your thumbs. Using bars that are too wide can make this issue worse.

Saddle too high can impact hand pressure, but not by large amounts. If your hips are rocking side-to-side while pedaling, or you point your toes down a ton while pedaling, or your calves don't relax at the bottom of the pedal stroke, or your hamstrings and glutes are super tight after a good ride... then your saddle is too high and you wont sit on the saddle properly and may weight your hands more. Low your saddle 5mm at a time until all of those issues are resolved.

If you do go back to see the fitter, try to pay attention to this stuff beforehand. Noticing any of these issues and letting the fitter know will allow them to provide a better more-correct solution. It's like seeing the doctor - the more good info you can provide them about how your are feeling, the more likely they will do their job well.

Last edited:
mission accomplished. my a1c is 5.5 i am no longer in a prediabetic state. :cry :banana

i am so happy.

thanks all.

next mission, other than weight loss, is tbd. my friend is trying to talk me into a 5k tough mudder so i’m forced to work on my entire body.

FAT loss, right? Not weight...fat. Getting in shape for the mudder just might add some muscle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back