• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

TV Shows I am enjoying

Latest Last of Us episode was masterful tonight. Wow.

+ a billion. Gave me all the feelz, and not just because my husband and I are also a couple of old gheys. As mentioned, it’s a universal love story, and one (IMHO) with particular resonance for those of us who have spent a lot of the past 3 years at home alone together as a result of a pandemic.

+ a billion. Gave me all the feelz, and not just because my husband and I are also a couple of old gheys. As mentioned, it’s a universal love story, and one (IMHO) with particular resonance for those of us who have spent a lot of the past 3 years at home alone together as a result of a pandemic.

Hadn;t even thought about the shelter at home aspect! It takes me back to 2020 when the realization started to set in about what SEEMED like forever isolation within our family pods, etc. It was truly a meaningful time, even a poetic time, later completely ruined by politicization of the pandemic.

Last edited:

I liked it because things are gonna get a lot worse very soon so it was nice to have a quick break early in the season for a more light hearted plot line before shit really hits the fan.

Also, the one unbelievable thing for me is how did they not run out of booze over 10 years. That store wasn't that big. :laughing

Last edited:
Only just got a Roku for the first time this x-mas. Been well off the viewing charts.

Most interesting to me was Letterkenny on hulu. More like this please.
Makes Game of Thrones look like Mr. Rogers Neighborhood.

I much prefer reparte' and literacy to monsters, gore and spooks. Python and Blackadder, where have you been so long.

Naked gross people and rude peasant dirt grubbers can FRO.

Re-reading this thread. Missed this acknowledgment.

Letterkenny is the funniest show I've seen in years. I haven't been into a sitcom this much in years. I've rewatched the entire series at least 3 times.

fucking-embarrassing-coach.gif

Was just listening to the official podcast about this episode and one of the showrunners, Craig Mazin, mentioned that it was more important that they were a middle aged couple - moreso that they were a gay couple (though that was also important). They wanted to show a realistic picture of what a long lasting, enduring love looked like - which I think is why it became so relatable for so many, even folks who would otherwise squirm a little bit watching a gay romance play out on screen.

I need to watch Letterkenney more. Watched the first two eps at a friend's house last winter when we were visiting the bay area. I really enjoyed it but wanted to get back to enjoying active with with the friend we were visiting.

Last edited:
Launched Bezos Prime and watched S1 E1-4.

Its much better than The Terminal List:

• script seems more normal and natural
• the actress who plays Suleiman’s wife, Hanin, is a fine actress. She has a very fascinating bio
• action scenes more realistic - when someone gets shot they don’t overact; however, Hollywood still love fireball explosions
• scenes in Lebanon, Paris, and other mideast locales are very good
• storyline, so far, seems realistic

Still trying to warm up to Kasinki. I don’t like his face - doesn’t match his role. And his hair; its like he just showed up with his normal coiff.

Man I totally couldn't get past the first episode of the Terminal list. I know it was written by a former SEAL but the action sequences look like it was straight from an 80s movie. Everyone is firing on full auto and they're moving through a sewer?

I liked it because things are gonna get a lot worse very soon so it was nice to have a quick break early in the season for a more light hearted plot line before shit really hits the fan.

A fact that has made some gamers angry, but HBO didn’t just make the show for them - it’s for everyone.

Also, the one unbelievable thing for me is how did they not run out of booze over 10 years. That store wasn't that big. :laughing

And how is gasoline still usable after 20 years?

And where “10 miles west of Boston” does it look like the foothills of the Canadian Rockies?

And, most importantly, how did that Beaujolais age?

And how is gasoline still usable after 20 years?

When I was watching it, I had a similar observation to the wife. I was willing to assume that maybe he put a whole bunch of Sta-Bil in the giant tank of fuel he initially got to make it last several years. But unless he had an oil derrick and a refinery around back, he surely would have run out of fuel to run that large generator (which seemed to be powering quite a bit) long long ago.

Wife then says to me, “this is a story about essentially mushrooms turning
people into zombies, and that’s the realism of this you want to dispute?”

The good gas settles to the bottom. You just have to shake it really well.

Anyways, also enjoying the last of us. Not as sold on it as you guys though. Feels really I am legendy so far. That and while the last episode was well done it was just filler.

In other news, I see everyone is still sleeping on the white lotus

I really enjoyed season 2 of “The White Lotus” (slightly more so than season 1), but looking back on it, I think it’s somewhat less than the sum of its parts. It’s good gossipy fun, the cinematography is mesmerizing, and the ending is unexpected and hilarious. I don’t quite get the hype surrounding Aubrey Plaza, but maybe that’s just because I’m old.

Last edited:
Is there hype around her? Ya def not my favorite actor in the show but she did well. Not sure which season I enjoyed more, really enjoyed both.

Gonna put in another vote for Public Enemy. We finished first season last night and its damn good. For a synopsis, it’s basically that a small French town goes nuts when a child killer is released from prison and ends up in the local monastery. When children start getting killed, they go even more nuts. That’s the first season, anyway. We start season 2 tonight.

I don’t think we went nuts on Aubrey Plaza, per se, but she is an interesting actor ranging from comedy to drama and happens to be on a lot of screens right now.

I think some of these other shows are more “serious” than White Lotus, which is a dramedy, as they call them. THe funny parts are funny, the plot lines interesting, the music is unique and the scenery is beautiful. And the show seems to be really good at highlighting known actors and giving them a bit of new life into their careers (which kind of describes a lot of premium cable shows, I guess).

It may have even run its course in two seasons in terms of setting up anticipation. I can take it or leave it but will definitely watch if it comes back.

Last edited:
There is apparently going to be a season 3, set someplace in Asia.

My favorite line from season 2 is: “Peppa Pig”? (Valentina, answering Tonya’s query about whom she resembled in her pink outfit.)

No sense in starting a separate thread so.....

Coming out of my cave an decided to give Netflix a try.

Worth watching?

Breaking Bad
Ozarks

Anything else to give a peek at?

Thanks for being the only other guy in America to have not seen Breaking Bad, which Ms. BA and everyone loves. Ozark is great.

Further recommends require knowledge of how much fantasy sci-fi you can endure and whether you’re willing to read subtitles.

Thanks for being the only other guy in America to have not seen Breaking Bad, which Ms. BA and everyone loves. Ozark is great.

Further recommends require knowledge of how much fantasy sci-fi you can endure and whether you’re willing to read subtitles.

:laughing

I'm in good company!

Sci Fi I like to a degree but I draw the line at anything with subtitles.

No sense in starting a separate thread so.....

Coming out of my cave an decided to give Netflix a try.

Worth watching?

Breaking Bad
Ozarks

Anything else to give a peek at?

After "Breaking Bad", watch "Better Call Saul", which I enjoyed more than Breaking Bad.

Back