• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What did you do to your dirty bike today?

Mine is the 430. After talking at length with Dan about where and how this bike will be used we went with the 430 for me and the Gentle Giant for Wayne.

Mine is the 430. After talking at length with Dan about where and how this bike will be used we went with the 430 for me and the Gentle Giant for Wayne.

Where and how will this bike be used?

StillJealousChick

Nice I test rode one of those and crashed it =P It sure felt like a real dirtbike compared to the DR.

I got mine dirty at Holister. Excessive washboard in many places, but hey, still fun. Rode three hours until it got hot.

Rode trials practice for over an hour (engine meter time). Still having issues with downhill turns. It seems there is less and less traction. I had one get-off trying to go over a gap from rock to rock. Now both my grip ends are torn up.

Changed the oil from 10W30 motor oil to BelRay GearSaver 75W when I got home.

On my way out I spooked a coyote that was just outside my property line. We have to babysit the little dog when we let her outside so she doesn't become a coyote snack.

Last edited:
Trying to do some maintenance on Warrior 350, haven't ridden this since Moab last year. Chain rusted and in need of of an adjustment. I forgot how to adjusting the chain its kinda wierd.
0804171916a-XL.jpg

0804171916b-XL.jpg

0804171931-XL.jpg

0804171953-XL.jpg

I was also looking at the wheel since it was up in the air and found out on of them wasn't spinning smoothly. It turns out somehow the front left rotor is slightly bent and dragging. Don't know how that happens because the rotor is inside the wheel o_O' Found another rotor on fleabay for $10 but it not super bent it just bothers me a bit.
0804171916-XL.jpg

0804172007-XL.jpg

Rode trials practice for over an hour (engine meter time). Still having issues with downhill turns. It seems there is less and less traction. I had one get-off trying to go over a gap from rock to rock. Now both my grip ends are torn up.

Changed the oil from 10W30 motor oil to BelRay GearSaver 75W when I got home.

On my way out I spooked a coyote that was just outside my property line. We have to babysit the little dog when we let her outside so she doesn't become a coyote snack.

Not going to the trial today? Ryan Young has a pretty good video on youtube about camber turns that might be helpful.

Not going to the trial today?
Sign ups start at 11 and I'm only an hour away. See my ride report in the trials thread. Hope to see you at Boreal.

I rode exactly as much on my hour meter for today's event as I did for yesterday's practice.

Last edited:

Lucky! Almost three hours from my house to the property with no traffic.:party

Good job finishing and no 5's! Looking forward to seeing the unofficial results.

I dropped more points in the 2nd and 3rd loops than the 1st, which is weird. I think I should have aced the 2nd. I think my fatigue cost me 5 or 6 points on the 3rd loop. Some of those turns....

giphy.gif

Installed some motion pro bleed valves and road some single track at the Renz. Unfortunately, Fencline is still closed.

T6d2hFa.jpg

OomOgwF.jpg

iFf3GVA.jpg

SI7P7RW.jpg

I adjusted valves, changed oil/filters, cleaned/oiled air filter, changed the fork oil. I also need to clean and oil chain as it is in desperate need.

I think I have a stuck float as the bike isn't getting fuel and won't start now after laying on its side to fill the oil filters with oil. I got it to finally start but any application of throttle it dies. I will be messing with that tonight trying to get it prepped for this weekend. :mad

I will lean it over the other side and tap it with a hammer to see if it knocks loose. Otherwise I will have to pull the float and see if it is in fact that. It's not flooded (plug is dry) and no gas smell out of exhaust when turning it over so definitely fuel related. It starts and idles somewhat so it's not electrical or plug related. Bike ran that morning before leaning it over and now doesn't. Gas flows past the carb as it comes out of the thing at the bottom where the vacuum hoses run to (which was a normal thing previous to all of this).

Last edited:
Turn. On. Gas.

Just kidding. Floats sticking open is a lot more common than floats sticking closed. That being said I did have a float needle stuck in the closed position.

I am confused though, first you say it's not getting any fuel bu then you say it starts and idles somewhat, which would not be possible unless it's getting at least some fuel.

I took mine for a ride in the truck :(

Turn. On. Gas.

Just kidding. Floats sticking open is a lot more common than floats sticking closed. That being said I did have a float needle stuck in the closed position.

I am confused though, first you say it's not getting any fuel bu then you say it starts and idles somewhat, which would not be possible unless it's getting at least some fuel.

I'm stumped how it came to this. It's something internal in the carb. It gets BARELY enough gas to idle but dies immediately when given throttle (leans out and dies) and backfires which indicates a lean condition. It takes a lot to get the thing to start and it idles rough verging dying if it starts at all.

The vac lines are not kinked, in good shape too. Fuel on. Checked line going into carb: no issue/blockage. Clean fuel. Bike was ridden for a few miles before doing the work on it. Adjusted valves but VERY slightly so it's not a valve related intake issue or timing issue. Definitely a lean fuel situation.

So I'm thinking something inside is stuck closed. First thing I think of is the float. I don't think it is a needle issue as it has been running great ever since I've acquired the bike and it's only been filled with top tier fuel from a gas station that runs through a lot of gas.

Classic plugged pilot jet symptoms. You can usually get to it without pulling the carb, just loosen the clamps and rotate it enough to get at it through the 17mm plug on the bottom. Gotta have just the right side flathead. I usually grind one for it.

Classic plugged pilot jet symptoms. You can usually get to it without pulling the carb, just loosen the clamps and rotate it enough to get at it through the 17mm plug on the bottom. Gotta have just the right side flathead. I usually grind one for it.

Thanks Byke!

I will go at this tonight.

EDIT.

Watched a youtube video. Stupid simple to access it. Will do this tonight.

For cleaning it...what do you suggest? First time I've had to clean anything in a carb. I assume some heat, fine wires, carb cleaner, compressed air. I don't have a ultrasonic cleaner.

Last edited:
Back