• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What did you do to your dirty bike today?

Alright, so when's the EC300 and YZ250X head test day?

I'm probably doing foresthill on saturday

Whats with all this talk from guys that wear open faced helmets, stretchy pants, fanny packs, and ride weird obscure motorcycle brands! :laughing :twofinger

According to tracking, my YZ250 head is done and will be waiting for me when I return from vacation. Cant wait to try it out... had it modified to the new YZ250X specifications. :ride :party

CJ, What do they do? Lower the compression ratio? Change the shape of the combustion chamber?

Both Tom. Lower compression ratio and reshape squish. I'll take a pic next
to another stock one I have before installing.

Nice, Another step in building an awesome green sticker 2T off road weapon!

Got the forks buttoned back up on the xr400. Forgot to order wheel bearings, so need to do that tomorrow and I'll spoon on the new front and rear tires. Should be pretty good to go after that! Looking forward to riding the bike at Stonybarf!

Got some newer forkies for the Cactus Puncher DR650 the other day. 5k miles on them. I really should learn to take my forks apart all the way and replace the bushings but this was a good deal and I got a lotta extra stuff while I was at it. :teeth

0726171442-XL.jpg

New front tire on the xr400. Zero tubes where lost in the process! :twofinger :laughing

Wheel bearing and seals ordered for the front and rear, new rear tire ready for installation.

Next up new headlight but struggling with decision on which one to get.

Got some newer forkies for the Cactus Puncher DR650 the other day. 5k miles on them. I really should learn to take my forks apart all the way and replace the bushings but this was a good deal and I got a lotta extra stuff while I was at it. :teeth

I've done that a couple times. Shock needed a rebuild, but I came across a low hour unit for less than the rebuild cost. Plus it's nice to have a spare to freshen up at your own pace and then swap when the replacement set needs rebuild.

New front tire on the xr400. Zero tubes where lost in the process! :twofinger :laughing

Wheel bearing and seals ordered for the front and rear, new rear tire ready for installation.

Next up new headlight but struggling with decision on which one to get.

You should go full CJ on the headlight.

Hadn't really thought of old school 8" but it is a stylin' look for sure. Really torn between squadron sport and pro version. The intention is to not ride at night but you know how that goes! :laughing

Hadn't really thought of old school 8" but it is a stylin' look for sure. Really torn between squadron sport and pro version. The intention is to not ride at night but you know how that goes! :laughing

Daniel,
Don't go for the cheap $27 Amazon one.. I did and I don't think it was worth the gamble. (Should have read the reviews)

On a lighter note (Seriously no pun intended)

I re-adjusted my valves on the XR4 - I'd done them after BARF Baja, but it was my first time and it didn't go perfectly.. Bike still ran fine and started fine, but was a bit noisy and something didn't sit right so I consulted with Saltwater, Anytwowilldo, and Mistico, and thanks to them I think I nailed it! Bike fired up on first kick, and sounded really good so I tested it by riding to work and back and it was awesome.

Nice work! Thanks for the info on the light. I may have to look around for a used 8" race light. I wonder if you can put one of the cyclops bulbs in those. I really like that bulb on the xr650r.

You may also want to look into higher output bulbs too. If your stator will run it, sometimes you can get racing bulbs that put out 85/100w or something. I put a 60/65 in the 950 and it is pretty good, it had an aftermarket fairing with some nice LED ones in it but I didn't like the fairing so went back to stock.

Last edited:
Nice work! Thanks for the info on the light. I may have to look around for a used 8" race light. I wonder if you can put one of the cyclops bulbs in those. I really like that bulb on the xr650r.

I have a Cyclops bulb in my KLX. It's worked out nicely. They probably have something to fit the stock XR headlight.

I don't have what stock headlight. I've got an early baja designs headlight but the bulb housing is cracked and I don't like how the whole thing looks so it's getting replaced.

Luke.... I am your Father..... You want the 8" Racelight. The halogen version isn't too pricey and there is 60/100 h4 bulb available for the DOT version with high low. Off road use only of course. ��

I rode some trials practice with thunderclouds around. Found out I have a lot of trouble with downhill turns. Got up on some rocks and held the rear wheel on them instead of rolling over them. High centered on the skid plate on one rock and got moving again without a dab, that felt good.

The Airoh TRR helmet is awesome. Gonna look into their full face helmets.

Back