• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What did you do to your dirty bike today?

I just put mine (Shiftless) on the back of the truck (Izzy)...

JPH Suspension out of San Jose. Rode a bike he tuned and was highly impressed.

Nice! let me know how it turns out. I have heard them mentioned a few times now. I was originally thinking of shipping mine for revalving and springs for weight to GoRace but i think i'll try JPH out since they are local and sound good.

Nice! let me know how it turns out. I have heard them mentioned a few times now. I was originally thinking of shipping mine for revalving and springs for weight to GoRace but i think i'll try JPH out since they are local and sound good.

JPH is one guy: Jason.

Had dinner with him last night. Very nice guy and knowledgeable as well! I'm excited to see what he does!

I just installed a new front tire with tubliss; a Dunlop AT81 per CJ's recommendation.

Installed new brake pads as my front's were down to metal (not sure how???-they must have to been dragging at some point). Got new grips installed and safety wired on.

Ordered some new gloves as I put a hole through the palm of my last pair after a long weekend of riding and eating shit on a rut.

Excited for the next ride!

Ordered the Downieville trail map today. Excited to plan my rides out there in the coming weeks.

Anxious about getting my rear shock back and getting the suspension tuned. The bike is almost ready for some single track!

Just picked up a triple trailer to tow the XR behind my fiesta ST, that right I am going to tow with a subcompact haha.

Picked the trailer up for nothing but it needs a lot of TLC, tires, wheels paint etc. Also working on rejetting the XR and swapping tires on the dirt rims I have for it, they came mounted with some Heidenaus K60's but if I am setting it up for dirt I am going to go with a full dirt tire, anyone have any suggestions? Its currently set up for sumo right now.

Just picked up a triple trailer to tow the XR behind my fiesta ST, that right I am going to tow with a subcompact haha.

Picked the trailer up for nothing but it needs a lot of TLC, tires, wheels paint etc. Also working on rejetting the XR and swapping tires on the dirt rims I have for it, they came mounted with some Heidenaus K60's but if I am setting it up for dirt I am going to go with a full dirt tire, anyone have any suggestions? Its currently set up for sumo right now.

Doesn't the ST put out the same amount of power as a typical V6?

There's another BARFer who does this (Twistedthrottle I think). It worked well for him!

How "dirty"?

Dunlop 606/Pirelli MT21/Michelin T63/Motoz Mountain Hybrid for middle of the road dirty

Pirelli XCMH/Motoz Enduro IT/Michelin AC 10 for "It won't see much pavement" dirty.

Doesn't the ST put out the same amount of power as a typical V6?

There's another BARFer who does this (Twistedthrottle I think). It worked well for him!

I have a full cobb stage 3 kit so its putting down about ~230/280, so yes or even as much torque as a small v8.

The main problem is the only hitch you can get for it is a class 1, so 200lb tongue weight limit.

How "dirty"?

Dunlop 606/Pirelli MT21/Michelin T63/Motoz Mountain Hybrid for middle of the road dirty

Pirelli XCMH/Motoz Enduro IT/Michelin AC 10 for "It won't see much pavement" dirty.

The XR is plated so I am still on the fence about how much street use it will see on the dirt tires, but since I have 2 sets of wheels It probably wont see too much street use.

I really like those the Fiesta STs. :thumbup My tow vehicle when I was doing lots of track days was Miata. Towed my Street Triple back from Minnesota last summer with my 05 Mini Cooper. Still use it for my trials or dirt bike when I am doing long day trip rides and dont need to pack a lot of gear. Gets more than twice the mpg of my Rover. Just need to do a little experimentation/adjustment of your chocks to get your tongue weight right. Congrats on the trailer, little cars are cool.

Alex started a good list of tires. You are going to get a ton recomendations for tires. Everyone has there idea of what works best. Are you looking for longevity, budget limit, or maximum dirt traction?

My go to dirt tires on the YZ at home are the Maxxis IT (non desert) or the Dunlop MX52 or AT81. INT/Hard tires for most of our conditions here. Just my opinion, others may vary.

My go to dirt tires on the YZ at home are the Maxxis IT (non desert) or the Dunlop MX52 or AT81. INT/Hard tires for most of our conditions here. Just my opinion, others may vary.

I really liked my MX32 Front MX52 rear set up.

Yeah if DOT is not a huge concern (and many non DOT tires are fine on pavement when ridden sanely, I did the whole Sheetiron and more on MX32/52's) then there is a world of delicious knobby options.

I really like those the Fiesta STs. :thumbup My tow vehicle when I was doing lots of track days was Miata. Towed my Street Triple back from Minnesota last summer with my 05 Mini Cooper. Still use it for my trials or dirt bike when I am doing long day trip rides and dont need to pack a lot of gear. Gets more than twice the mpg of my Rover. Just need to do a little experimentation/adjustment of your chocks to get your tongue weight right. Congrats on the trailer, little cars are cool.

Alex started a good list of tires. You are going to get a ton recomendations for tires. Everyone has there idea of what works best. Are you looking for longevity, budget limit, or maximum dirt traction?

Yes there seems to be a consensus shortlist of tires but after that it really seems to be personal preference. I am more worried about finishing the trailer at this point since if I dont have that working the bike is not going to be moving anywhere anyways haha. As for what qualities I want in the tires the most, the more I think about it I want something that can do short stints on roads with adequate grip on thats not going to totally break the bank. the 606's seem to fit that bill pretty well.

Going to run out today after work and hopefully get some tires for the trailer, the ones on it currently are toast. Got a riser hitch, ball and wiring kit on order for the fiesta, had to get a 4 inch riser so the trailer wouldn't be pitched down when it was hooked up.

I really liked my MX32 Front MX52 rear set up.

Yeah if DOT is not a huge concern (and many non DOT tires are fine on pavement when ridden sanely, I did the whole Sheetiron and more on MX32/52's) then there is a world of delicious knobby options.

Ended up going with D606's the bike is plated and I cant rule out the option that I will be doing significant amounts of distance on the pavement.

Got a new spring put on my newly refreshed rear shock. It now supports my weight and is set up correctly.

Got the front tire and tubliss install, new grips, new front brake pads, and have a seat concepts seat kit in order. Also will be refreshing the coolant with 30% coolant, 1% water wetter, and rest distilled water.

Getting ready for Downieville!

Got the 606's mounted on the XR, also went ahead and pulled and rebuilt the carb and swapped the main jets so the bike actually idles now. Attacking the trailer next so I can hopefully get out riding in the next couple of weeks.

https://imgur.com/Ygjthlv

Last edited:
....main jet....idles...??
Hmmmm.

It made sense in my head.

Pilot air screw wasnt adjusted correctly and the main jet was too big and was flooding the bike (I think) Also wrong pilot jet was installed, bike would flood while trying to start, and wouldnt idle until it was hot. Which is now resolved.

Pilot air screw wasnt adjusted correctly and the main jet was too big and was flooding the bike (I think) Also wrong pilot jet was installed, bike would flood while trying to start, and wouldnt idle until it was hot. Which is now resolved.

Glad you dug into it and got it better. I would like to recommend a thorough reading of the different carb circuits and how they affect different areas of operation. The main has almost zero affect at idle and if that rich should be worse when hot not better, hence AugustIron's comment.

Made it less dirty...

36273961754_b4d52283d2_c.jpg

Back