• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What did you do to your dirty bike today?

We camped at Sugarpine Lake and rode out of Parker Flat.
The trail was all rock and tree roots, not a problem for the bike but apparently a problem for me. :cry

Think I know Parker Flat. Doesn't one of the trails go right through it, in one end and out the other? That's rocky over there. Trail 2 is the nicest out of Sugar Pine, imo. There's some slightly rocky spots, but nothing like...I think it's trail 4..?

You're putting some of the WR426 gears in there? I had an '03 and was going to do the same the next time I had it open, but ended up selling it. If I remember correctly, I *think* a little bit of one case half needs a little clearance if you use the WR first gear.

just replacing 3rd, 4th, and 5th.
It's a pretty popular mod that rocky mountain mc made easy to purchase as a kit (well, the price is far from easy).
It moves 3rd a little bit closer to 2nd, and moves 4th and 5th further out for higher top speed.

Right on. Wouldn't surprise me if it's the WR426 gears. Nobody seems to like making aftermarket transmission gears for dirt bikes. But, why not keep the stock 3rd so there's not as big of a gap between 3rd and 4th?

I'm not sure if it's the same as the ol 426, but I am pretty sure it is the same gearing as the new YZ250X.

I was trying to figure out if the lower 3rd would be better or worse for me. (and I haven't ridden the bike in 3 or 4 months, so that doesn't help my memory).
I do spend a lot of time in 3rd in the singletrack, as it will lug down pretty low. I think it will help me stay in 3rd though more of the singletrack, so maybe I won't have to shift so much, and that is good.

The reach to 4th? I'll just have to wait and see. I know I will be happier with a higher 5th, though!

Ooohhhh the yz250x, that makes sense. I wish I had some options for my old crf450, but nobody makes anything anymore and I don't believe the 450x transmission fits. I'm usually in second on singletrack, sometimes first if it's tight. Already +3 on the rear sprocket. Been wanting to upgrade lately, either a YZ250/450/X/FX or of course one of the KTM's.

if you want a fun inexpensive 2t, the yz250 is a blast with the right mods.
A few years ago, I was looking to get a cheap 2t just to experience 2t, and now i'm hooked.
Some day I will trade up (mostly just for a magic button), but right now i've got a few other bikes i'd rather trade up first.
The YZ is sooooo much fun.

A little suspension linkage bearing maintenance on the YZ. I obviously need to shorten the interval in which it gets attention. :laughing

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 42
if you want a fun inexpensive 2t, the yz250 is a blast with the right mods.
A few years ago, I was looking to get a cheap 2t just to experience 2t, and now i'm hooked.
Some day I will trade up (mostly just for a magic button), but right now i've got a few other bikes i'd rather trade up first.
The YZ is sooooo much fun.

I've owned a few yz250's over the years. Last one was an '03 and I installed '06 450 SSS forks and '06 450 shock, as well as an Eric Gorr 295 kit. Fun project, but I'd keep the next one closer to stock. I'm excited about the '17+ KTM smokers for the counter balancer and air forks. Don't really care much about e-start on a 2t, they start so easy. Last time I rode hare scrambles I was on an '01 cr250 and I was always near the front on the start, beating lots of e-start bikes. Leave it in second, clutch in, kick and go. Anyway, I'd be down with a yz250 and maybe a lectron or smartcarb, whichever handles elevation changes better. Might wait for '19 with the KTM because the new FI bike is PDS only and I'd much rather have linkage. Plus it gives me time to figure out how to pay for it. :nchantr

Aired up the Tubliss and tires on the trials bike and put it in the shed. Pulled out the YZ250, aired up the Tubliss and tires, packed the tire plugs and pump, packed the tools.

I agree, byke, i've gotten much better starts on my YZ with kick than I ever did on my CRF250X w button (but that might have also been because the 250x was so quite, I couldn't ever tell if it was running next to all those noisy race bikes!), but I would sure like a button for when i'm stuck in some crazy steep terrain!

hmmmmm i suddenly feel I should lube my suspension bearings while the bike is apart...
(but I probably won't)

I pulled the XR out for the first time since the SheetIron. All looked good so I took it for a quick blast. All was going well until a passed a car headed into a tight right hander and upshifted to fourth under power. The oxidized Desert IT let lose and it turned into a flat track right hander. I'll address the tire situation, and she will be ready for StonyBarf.

I agree, byke, i've gotten much better starts on my YZ with kick than I ever did on my CRF250X w button (but that might have also been because the 250x was so quite, I couldn't ever tell if it was running next to all those noisy race bikes!), but I would sure like a button for when i'm stuck in some crazy steep terrain!

hmmmmm i suddenly feel I should lube my suspension bearings while the bike is apart...
(but I probably won't)

That was something I hated about the 4t's back in the late 90's and early 2k's, you couldn't hear your own bike when they were around to you. Didn't like 4t's for a long time because of it. Maybe the smokers are easier to know when they're running because they vibrate more? I bet a 250f doesn't shake much at idle, probably tough to feel with all the chaos.

The button would definitely be nice. In the mx world, the husky/ktm are the lightest bikes by a decent margin and they're e-start *and* running steel frames, so there's basically zero penalty for having e-start when it comes to those guys. The Japanese mfr's aren't putting the resources into matching ktm's progress and it's really irritating. If you want to have your cake and eat it too, your only option is an orange/white bike. At least honda and yamaha are starting to put a little effort into the competitive offroad market.

Grease yo linkage! :p

Went for a quickie out at Foresthill today. Rode four laps of trail 2 and burned out. Had fun.
txylveC.gif

How are the conditions up there now?
Super dry?

You know that one section with all the jumps? It's as if a bunch of people rode through it when it was muddy and again when it was dry, so there's that thick layer of fine dust on top of small ruts that squiggle all over the place. It's the worst I've ever seen that trail. After that I just rode trail 2 and though there are some dusty areas, it was surprisingly good. We're supposed to get some rain today and tomorrow. It should be nice this weekend.

Last edited:
Replaced the starter and serviced the starter gear.

This one was pretty well used. Method of failure, if you look close in the center of the picture, was one of the brush wires broke.

OsrWbgjh.jpg

Back