• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What did you do to your dirty bike today?

I pulled the rear fender and FMF silencer off the RM 250. The subframe needed a little love so I used my 6ft long digging bar to reposition it. It is amazing how light weight the aluminum subframe is and how easy they are to bend or straighten. I also pulled the FMF silencer apart and will repack it in the next couple of days.

I've found a substitute for octane booster!
Gonna run'm in my 250 soon as I grind them up...

tumblr_oxzl8pM3rA1wwv7beo1_1280.jpg

Anyone need some fresh Habaneros??

Atta boy! :thumbup

Tom, you are going to be a beast once you get the hang of that smoker. You were already a beast, but I'm just not very creative today. You know what I mean. :teeth

Creativity is exponentially proportional to the amount of alcohol consumed, at least in the mind of the imbiber.

From TT

The 03' RM250 had a couple of issues that caused problems with the jetting. Between an overly large squish band, and a rich #6.5 slide and a rich diameter needle those bikes a tendency to run very rich on the bottom and into the middle. The bike can be made to run very crisp, jetting wise, it's just a matter as to how much you want to spend ? You would be looking at around $100 total to have the head set to the right squish and the slide cut, plus about $25 for a new needle jet and pilot and main.

From GG riders' forum (this poster knows his stuff)

I've never jetted an EC250 but I'd be tempted to use the Yamaha needle N3EW/N3CW and use their jetting chart to get started.

Or.. I'd grab an NEDW/NECW (suzuki needle)

You can order both online and have them delivered or order them through local dealers. Suzi dealer for NEDW/NECW and KTM/Yamaha dealer for N3 needles (they both use and sell them). The N8RH you have may even work well enough for you.

Like I said last post, I'd move the N8RH#3 with a 42 pilot, and 172 main and see how it feels. I'd then move to clip #2 and test again. I think at your alitude you'll probably want to go even leaner again on the needle.

Once the pilot and needle are setup you can start leaning the main out.
I'd be thinking 45 N3CJ#2 168 would be around right at your altitude and temps, but its always best to start rich and work backwards.

I have a NECW and a NEDW in my shop if you want to play with them....sounds like you're pretty close.

:laughing
Also, I would LOVE to grab some of those tasty peppers!

Creativity is exponentially proportional to the amount of alcohol consumed, at least in the mind of the imbiber.

So true. :party

I just had to take two Pepcid antacids seeing that! I'm getting old. :laughing Been forever, we need to ride again!

From TT

I have a NECW and a NEDW in my shop if you want to play with them....sounds like you're pretty close.

Tom, Luke is spot on regarding the needles and their tapor. They do have a real notable affect on the transition hit. One of the hot tricks for YZs is using the Suzuki spec NE series needles which tend to be smoother due to the different tapor. I haven't used one yet, but have the full series of N3 series needles. And when I suggest moving toward the rich side, I don't mean bumbling rich. All bikes will run well within a range... And within that range can be on rich or lean side of that band. Shades so to speak.

I think you will be able to make a real noticeable difference by just playing with your power valve preload, ignition timing, and brass tinkering.

Yea, I probably deserved that.

From TT

Thanks for the offer on the needles! I forgot to mention that the previous owner installed a leaner slide too. I found a #7 on it. If I feel I need them I'll reach out.

Tonight I took a trip to Lowes and picked up a $6 bag of insulation. I cut it to the correct size and rewrapped the silencer. I used painter's tape to hold the insulation in place and stuffed it all together. It should be a bit quieter.

The piece to the left is the oil soaked piece I removed.

Attachments

• IMG_6695.jpg
    IMG_6695.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
antwowilldo, everything OaklandF4i mentioned will help tame the hit of your RM.

Or, you could just harden the fuck up.

:twofinger

:teeth

When my jetting is off even a little, like the airscrew, it's weak enough that it won't pull up the front wheel. You won't melt your piston with a one-size-too-small pilot but the power will be weaker.

That instant power may suck now when everything's dry but you'll love it after it rains and you ride in hero dirt.

antwowilldo, everything OaklandF4i mentioned will help tame the hit of your RM.

Or, you could just harden the fuck up.

:twofinger

:teeth

When my jetting is off even a little, like the airscrew, it's weak enough that it won't pull up the front wheel. You won't melt your piston with a one-size-too-small pilot but the power will be weaker.

That instant power may suck now when everything's dry but you'll love it after it rains and you ride in hero dirt.

I just may need to Harden the fuck up.

I really need to get it out for a day of riding and really see what it is like. I've got about 20 minutes on it out in the dirt. I'm thinking I will be able to flatten the torque curve a bit. It comes on the pipe hard and when it has traction will roll into a 4th gear wheelie at half throttle. The previous owner said it will bring the front end up without warning or something to that effect. I ordered pilots and mains and will figure it out. I also have the stock chamber and a hi rev FMF SST I believe. It is currently running a Gnarly with a turbine core 2. It is jetted leaner than stock but very close to what I've seen people running on the net. It could be a handful on a technical hill climb, but only time will tell.

Guess I'll post up here, I just bought a new XT250, my first foray in dirt riding, and then stumbled upon an OHV park not 5 miles from my place. Only had to pull it out of the brush once :laughing:laughing

This shit is addicting! :teeth

Thanks for the offer on the needles! I forgot to mention that the previous owner installed a leaner slide too. I found a #7 on it. If I feel I need them I'll reach out.

Tonight I took a trip to Lowes and picked up a $6 bag of insulation. I cut it to the correct size and rewrapped the silencer. I used painter's tape to hold the insulation in place and stuffed it all together. It should be a bit quieter.

The piece to the left is the oil soaked piece I removed.
Fiberglass rope is Waaaaaay better than that and it last a long time.
Get it at wood stove store or here...

http://www.truevalue.com//catalog/p...ive={Creative}&ctplacement=289394-51049995219

Fiberglass rope is Waaaaaay better than that and it last a long time.
Get it at wood stove store or here...

http://www.truevalue.com//catalog/p...ive={Creative}&ctplacement=289394-51049995219

I've never heard or thought of that. I always thought the manufactures used light soft insulation to absorb the sound. I wanted to make sure it was as quiet as it could be. The portion of the old packing that was wrapped around the perforated pipe was saturated with oil. My guess is that it was not absorbing the sound as well as it could. I hope it is a bit quieter.

Last edited:
Guess I'll post up here, I just bought a new XT250, my first foray in dirt riding, and then stumbled upon an OHV park not 5 miles from my place. Only had to pull it out of the brush once :laughing:laughing

...and it just gets better.

Yep, your post belongs.
"What did you do to your dirty bike today?"

Bought it
Rode it
Extracted it from off trail foray
:thumbup

I rode mine and finally taught it (or it taught me) how to leap on command. I can almost clear a cattle guard but back wheel drops down about a foot short.

Today I will wash it and dry it and order new tires :party

I ordered some more brass including a two step leaner N8RW needle, so I have more options to lean her out.

Back